"Magnum P.I." Reboot on CBS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Magnum P.I." Reboot on CBS

Looks like this may be getting the green light from CBS. A reboot of Magnum P.I. the original which starred Tom Selleck. A new version is in the works by the same team that did the reboots of "Hawaii Five-0" and "MacGyver".

From the Honolulu Star-Advertiser:

’80s TV hit ‘Magnum’ tapped for reboot

In a development long predicted by TV aficionados, the Hawaii-based action series “Magnum P.I.” has been tapped for prime-time resurrection on CBS.
    Article is stuck behind the pay-wall.

Similar article in Variety Magazine. (no pay-wall)

‘Magnum P.I.’ Reboot in Development at CBS From Peter Lenkov With Production Commitment

“Magnum P.I.” is getting the reboot treatment at CBS, Variety has learned.

Peter Lenkov, the writer and producer behind current CBS reboots of “Hawaii Five-O” and “MacGyver,” will serve as the writer and executive producer on a new version of the classic 1980s series, which has a pilot production commitment at the network.

Described as an updated version of the original series, “Magnum P.I.” follows Thomas Magnum, a decorated ex-Navy SEAL who, upon returning home to Hawaii from Afghanistan, repurposes his military skills to become a private investigator. With help from fellow vets Theodore “TC” Calvin and Orville “Rick” Wright, as well as that of disavowed former MI:6 agent Juliet Higgins, Magnum takes on the cases no one else will, helping those who have no one else to turn to. Tom Selleck played the mustachioed Magnum in the original series.
    What do you folks think? Is this a worthy show to bring back? Will Mr. Magnum always find a parking space right in front of the building on Bishop Street in downtown Honolulu?

I am assuming this is going to be shot in Hawaii. It would be a good move on CBS's part if they want to retain the studio facilities now in use for "Five-O" and previously, "Lost" (ABC).
    I'm still here. Are you?

Re: "Magnum P.I." Reboot on CBS

I wonder if Grace Park will do the role of Juliet Higgins?

Comment

Please No. I love the old show. Got the entire DVD set. Big fan. Please, no.

I would love a reunion show, even if Higgins is not around anymore.

Comment

The odds of Grace Park showing up in a "Magnum" re-boot are slim since it involves the same producers that did not want to increase her pay on "Five-0" this past year.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

This is not anti-Grace Park but if they need to do a better job casting. Meaning, if they cast her as "Grace Tanaka" I'm ok with that. And not play her off as "Hawaiian." I get it, today, it's totally possible. There are Hawaiians with blonde hair and blue eyes (I met some on the mainland), maybe like 25% blood.

If she has to be Ms. Kalakaua, make her Mrs. Kalakaua. It would show diversity and multi-cultural marriages, and be a better reflection of Hawaii.

Comment

Originally posted by cabanalane View Post
            If she has to be Ms. Kalakaua, make her Mrs. Kalakaua. It would show diversity and multi-cultural marriages, and be a better reflection of Hawaii.
            For Hawaii Five-0 at least during the first two seasons I had the impression that they did, only it was applied to the generation before Chin and Kono. I suspect that their mothers were sisters who married men from other ethnic backgrounds.

Comment

CBS picking up "Magnum P.I." reboot...

http://www.staradvertiser.com/2018/0...num-pi-reboot/
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I'm ready to give it a chance. Not sure if that "magic" (of the original) will be there.

Comment

I missed seeing the first minute or two of tonight's (9/24/18) episode. In any event what was shown in this episode:
                  • The dogs Zeus and Apollo just hate Magnum, they seem to like everyone else.
                  • Magnum, Rick, TC and a 4th person served in Iraq and was in POW camp together.
                  • Robin Masters used to be a jouralist that was embedded with various people like Higgins, Magnum, Rick and TC. The novels that is written by Robin Masters is based on their adventures.

Comment

September 24 ratings, first week out.

https://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/da...-sept-24-2018/

Magnum P.I. got a 1.2 share though 8 million shares. It did not win its time slot.

ABC had Dancing With The Stars 2 hours started an hour before Magnum, and NBC had The Voice which won the night it seems.

The series premiere of “Magnum P.I.” fell 0.5 from its “Young Sheldon” lead-in, and scored a low 1.2 in the 9 p.m. hour, while “Bull” returned to a 0.9 – also down from its previous season premiere (1.3) and average (1.2).
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

The new Five-O did try to connect with the old Five-O. And yet, made it new and it's own style.

I felt the new Magnum tried to recreate many of the past scenes from the old Magnum. As I was watching, it was like..."oh, I remember this part from before.." I've not seen "creativity" as a reboot.

It's like they hand the old Magnum PI DVDs to the cast, writers, directors, and said "don't screw it up." So they just did the same things.

Comment

Not everyone is happy with Magnum P.I. as the production has impacted neighborhood parking areas. From CivilBeat.com:

Not Everyone’s Thrilled To Have A Film Crew In The Neighborhood

“Magnum P.I.” is generating complaints from businesses and residents about the way it commandeers streets and parking places.

Residents in three areas are complaining that the newby operation, which began shooting this year and airs on CBS, is engaging in an aggressive land grab by commandeering city streets and blocking access to parking spaces.
                        Street parking is a very valuable asset to all neighborhoods. Parking shouldn't be all taken up by film production vehicles for long amounts of time.
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

The old Magnum P.I. did cause an inconvenience for me twice. One time, I missed an entire Saturday of studying at UH. I got off the bus and spent the next 4 hours watching them film for 2 minutes.

It was an inconvenience, but I still remember it today.

I totally understand how parking can be a PITA, but let's lighten up bit. They don't find filming a TV show interesting? Ok, maybe not.

10-20-30 years from now, they are not going to remember the parking space they got. But they will never forget seeing both the fake and real Magnum (and Rick and TC) in person.

Comment

NBC to end ‘Magnum P.I.’ reboot after fifth season (hawaiinewsnow.com)

5 years is a good run that I thought would be a one season wonder.

Comment

See Magnum P.I. Star's Sweet Post About Riding 'Off Into The Sunset' After NBC's Cancellation (yahoo.com)

There still some unanswered questions.

Comment

Working...
                              X