Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Travolta and Kelly Preston's son dies

http://www.tmz.com/2009/01/02/john-travoltas-son-dies/

Rand Memorial Hospital in the Bahamas tells TMZ the son of John Travolta died today.

We're told 16-year-old Jett was vacationing with Travolta and wife Kelly Preston. We do not know the circumstances of his death.

There have been reports that Jett was autistic, though Travolta has denied it, saying he suffers from Kawasaki Syndrome, a condition which often leads to heart disease.
    The TMZ update says that he suffered from a seizure and they could not revive him.
    Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
    We're not here to mess around
    Boston, you know we love you madly
    Hear the crowd roar to your sound
    Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
    You know we couldn't live without you
    Tessie, you are the only only only

Re: John Travolta and Kelly Preston's son dies

This is heartbreaking. Every interview I've seen with John he's spoken so openly and lovingly about his 2 kids and being a dad. The last interview I saw he even hinted that he'd like another child.

My condolences to the Travolta family and to Kelly's family. They live in Hawaii.

ETA: Here is a 6 year old interview with Kelly about Jett's health issues.
    Last edited by tutusue; January 2, 2009, 11:32 AM.

Comment

my prayers are with them
      stay forever young

Comment

That's sad.

As far as the speculation to whether Jett was autistic or not, frequent seizure activity (even the small silent seizures) can damage portions of the brain and make a kid seem autistic even though the origins may have been caused by something else initially.

Comment

How sad. My thoughts go out to them, it's so hard for a parent to lose a
          child. May they all be strong for each other. I am very sad for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Peshkwe View Post
            [...] frequent seizure activity (even the small silent seizures) can damage portions of the brain and make a kid seem autistic even though the origins may have been caused by something else initially.
            This is a good point, Peshkwe. My nephew is in a constant state of seizures, most not noticeable. When I'm with him he insists on holding my hand. That's when I notice him seizing. He is often mistaken for being autistic altho' he's not. Kawasaki's has a characteristic high fever. I have to wonder how much damage that can do if not diagnosed in a timely manner.

Recent photos of Jett are reminiscent of my nephew. Sometimes special needs kids have a certain 'look'; something difficult to describe. My nephew has it. I saw it in Jett, too. Still, each and every child is special and the loss of a child is always devastating.

Comment

According to several news sources, the Church of Scientology (of which Travolta and Preston are practicing members) does not recognize autism.

I don't know anything about that Church and their stance on medication, but it'd be horrible if the kid really did have a condition that could have been treated.
              Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
              We're not here to mess around
              Boston, you know we love you madly
              Hear the crowd roar to your sound
              Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
              You know we couldn't live without you
              Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
                According to several news sources, the Church of Scientology (of which Travolta and Preston are practicing members) does not recognize autism.

I don't know anything about that Church and their stance on medication, but it'd be horrible if the kid really did have a condition that could have been treated.
                The Travolta's are taking some bashing on the 'net for their close affiliation with the CofS, which doesn't believe in the use of drugs or, as you mentioned, recognize autism. Autism isn't easy to treat. One article I read mentioned Jett's known seizure problem, which may or may not be associated with autism in his case. I'm curious if he was taking medication for that particular disorder.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                  This is a good point, Peshkwe. My nephew is in a constant state of seizures, most not noticeable. When I'm with him he insists on holding my hand. That's when I notice him seizing. He is often mistaken for being autistic altho' he's not. Kawasaki's has a characteristic high fever. I have to wonder how much damage that can do if not diagnosed in a timely manner.

Recent photos of Jett are reminiscent of my nephew. Sometimes special needs kids have a certain 'look'; something difficult to describe. My nephew has it. I saw it in Jett, too. Still, each and every child is special and the loss of a child is always devastating.

Febrile(fever) seizures can activate epilepsy if the fever is high enough for a long period of time, it does physical damage to the brain...and it doesn't have to be a large area of damage to set it off. That was one of the frequent questions asked by docs before we found out that the eldest spawn had three separate areas of brain anomaly.

Although the foci they surgically removed in her brain was no where near the areas of anomaly...go figure. The frequent brain storms prior to surgery (and the ones after surgery) reduced her processing abilities so she's a SpEd student even though she reads and understands at a high college level, answering questions and spitting out answers is a slow and painful process.

If Jett didn't get treatment for high fevers quick enough, or the Kawasaki caused small stoppages in the blood flow to the brain, it's very possible he'd become epileptic. Sometimes meds and even surgery won't stop the brain storms from coming on.

It's rumored that Jett was autistic 'cause of the way he acts, but if he has frequent seizure activity what may be happening is the public is seeing aura response and misinterpreting it as signs of autisim.

Each person with seizure activity has their own type of 'aura' signal, a friend of Sienna has her foot start twitching and bouncing before she seizes. People can make noises similar to Tourettes, see halos around objects, smell flowers or something bad before seizing.

Sienna had "Alice in Wonderland Syndrome" where she'd see visuals before she seized 'cause one of her foci (the one they removed) was in the occipital area of the brain. Because of the visuals at the beginning of it all the docs were also checking her for schizophrenia and other psychotic issues thinking she was hallucinating.

There's a good video to the right of the page here:

http://www.epilepsy.com/epilepsy/seizure_simplepartial

that shows the different areas of the brain and what they control on the body. The video that's going around on the net shows Jett looking distant and waving his hand in front of his face. It does 'look' like an instance of autistic auto-stimulation...but it very well could be a partial seizure too.

and info about Kawasaki disease/syndrome:

http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH...339/23825.html
                  Last edited by Peshkwe; January 3, 2009, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Death certificate: Travolta son killed by seizure

Comment

Working...
                    X