Clear All

• Anyone have a fave place to hike?

Hike???

Long power walks???

Re: Anyone have a fave place to hike?

Among my favorites: Manana Ridge Trail.

Comment

I like the trail to the Green Sand Beach at Hawaii's southern tip.
      “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
      http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin View Post
        I like the trail to the Green Sand Beach at Hawaii's southern tip.
        Here ya go!
        http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...0-07dcafddbb62
        Be sure to "Visit the gallery" for photos.
        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

You can also check The Hawaii Trail & Mountain Club, which has always been pretty active and helpful to newbies.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I can put you in touch with a friend who runs a mailing list for hikers. He regularly conducts hikes of varying degrees of difficulty, including the occasional hike on outer islands. Just PM me.

I personally love power walks. But because of my job and location and time constraints, I usually just go Kuhio-->around Kapiolani Park-->Kalakaua.

When my boyfriend was doing masters swim practice ot Oahu Club, I used to enjoy walking up one of the roads in the Mariner's Ridge subdivision in Hawaii Kai while I waited for him to finish.

I used to kick around the idea of power walking in different Honolulu neighborhoods once a week, just for a change of scenery and get to know the city better, but so far it has only remained an idea and has never been put into practice.

Comment

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos View Post
              [...]
              I personally love power walks. But because of my job and location and time constraints, I usually just go Kuhio-->around Kapiolani Park-->Kalakaua.[...]
              Many years ago I power walked around Diamond Head several days a week. I'd park near the Elk's Club and head up the hill on the makai side, then all the way around and back down to Kapiolani Park. Beautiful! Sometimes, again from near the Elk's Club, I'd walk the makai side of Diamond Head then stay on Kahala Ave. to the old Kahala Hilton...and back! Ditto that beautiful! If I didn't have time for that distance, I'd power walk Kapiolani Park...short=1.8 mi./long=2.2 mi.

I really need to find a comfortable pair of walking shoes and try to do those longer distances again!

Comment

From the TV to the refrigerator, and all the way back!
                (I just came off the vending machine thread...)
                https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Lot's of good suggestions so far...here's some favorites of mine...

Aiea Loop Trail: Family friendly, not too rugged, great views, only a little more than 4 miles. Go during the week and you'll have it all to yourself.

Kuliouou Trail: Recently profiled in the Advertiser. The next step up from Aiea Loop effort & difficulty wise. More great views, and yeah, the switchbacks at the beginning are a little boring, thankfully they pass quick. There are two options if you know the way, down into the next ridge, or out to the end of the ridge overlooking the ocean. Both are nice.

Hau'ula Loop Trails: Two to pick from, a great workout, kinda steep at times. Some nice views at the top of the "right" or "back" loop.

Bonus...If you are so inclined, these are all mountain bike friendly trails (if not some of the other users).

Comment

Being partial to Ka'a'awa...

...I've always enjoyed the trails in that area.
                    The one starting at the Kam. Hwy. turn to Kahana Bay (just after passsing The Crouching Lion) has great 360% vistas.

Or, the trail along the Makaua Valley ridge (Kaneohe side) that starts at the end of the road behind Ka'a'awa Fire Sta.

But for a great flat terrain walk, Waikane Valley sports a Gov. road that has a locked gate at the end of WV Rd. (hang a right at the V), but you just go around it and trek for a few quiet and secluded miles til you reach the water tunnels. The mountain wall at that point is the divide to the back of Kahana Valley. It's said, that some have gone into the cascading tunnel waters and came out the other side of the island. I'll not be that brave/stupid. Try doing the walk at dark, and maybe the Night Marchers will show up! Sometimes old military ordinences that were left behind go off. There is also a patch of rarely seen (in Hawaii) cat-tails in one spot.
                    At about the mid-way point near the old encampment, there is an rock overhang with a damned up portion of the stream that contains gold tilapia.
                    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                      From the TV to the refrigerator, and all the way back!
                      (I just came off the vending machine thread...)
                      not even the scenic tour??

Comment

When I was going to school in Oahu, me and my friends would often hike the waahila ridge trail at the top of st. louis heights. It's not too hard, but you'll break a sweat, plus it's got a wonderful view that looks out onto manoa area.
                        www.davidcarvalhowasright.blogspot.com

sigpic

Comment

One of my favorite hiuking trails is a trail between Mililani and Waihiawa. I cant remember the name of it, but we found it in that book that AbsolutChaos was talking about earlier.

The trail takes you to this long bunker where equipment was stored during the war, to hide from enemy spies above. If I remember right, the bunker is about 300 yards long, and very dark so bring WORKING flashlights. There's also supposed to be a waterfall on that trail, but we never found it. We were too busy playing in the bunker LOL

Unfortunately, we stopped hiking when we had our daughter, but now she's 7, so I think we should start hiking again.

HT Hiking trip anyone ?

DD
                          www.myspace.com/chrislunainstrumentals

Comment

Originally posted by DiverDown808 View Post
                            One of my favorite hiuking trails is a trail between Mililani and Waihiawa. I cant remember the name of it, but we found it in that book that AbsolutChaos was talking about earlier.

The trail takes you to this long bunker where equipment was stored during the war, to hide from enemy spies above. If I remember right, the bunker is about 300 yards long, and very dark so bring WORKING flashlights. There's also supposed to be a waterfall on that trail, but we never found it. We were too busy playing in the bunker LOL

Unfortunately, we stopped hiking when we had our daughter, but now she's 7, so I think we should start hiking again.

HT Hiking trip anyone ?

DD
                            those were fun times werent they>? although i havent forgiven you yet since you refused to carry me to the car after we went thru that aiea loop hike..boy that hike was loooongggggg......

Comment

Working...
                            X