X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 8

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    No worry, beef curry. Now that I know who you are, I won't bother. You'll do just fine without my help.
    Aiyah!! I should have known!!

Naughty. naughty.

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

No worry, beef curry. Now that I know who you are, I won't bother. You'll do just fine without my help.
      See Auntie? I told you he was try to start something!

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
      Aiyah!! I should have known!!

Naughty. naughty.

Auntie Lynn

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
      I support the Hawaii Superferry.

How can you tell if a person is not born in Hawai'i by the way they look? It is racial and prejudice to think so.

I have a beautiful Ohana. The skin color of my relatives come in all colors. The majority were born in Hawaii. I have ukapila friends with different skin color and hair styles too.

We are Human Beings on planet Earth.

We have Laws to follow. Whatever the pilikia the Protesters have should be based on the Laws they're breaking.

I respect ALL Opinions but when it comes to being prejudice and racial, I will not stand for it.

Auntie Lynn

BTW: My grandchildren are white.

My earlier statement about they not being born hea? (Sorry maybe wrong choice of words)
      I was just commenting on,
      "why the think they can go out in public and tell anyone else they not welcome hea?"
      If you watch the vid clip das exactly what they stay yelling at the good people coming off the S/F.

We all Immigrated from another land!

How they would feel if someone told them that when they came hea?

No prejudice hea! (I just Hate stupid people!)

I believe "It isn't the Who you are that matters! It is what you do that matters!"

Aloha Auntie!

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
        Hmmm. I wonder how often that's going to happen and for how long a stretch? I hope lack of reliability doesn't become HSF fatal flaw. Unlike the mainland, we're not used to having to cancel trips because of weather. (At least for anything less then a hurricane.)
        The unreliability is a serious issue. Recently, I was scheduled to take the SuperFerry over and back between Oahu and Maui.
        My buddy and I flew instead, so all's well. Now if I was planning on taking a vehicle it would have been a real problem.

So the question I have is...
        Is it only a harbor issue that's stopping the trips or the actual conditions in the channels?
        If it's the channels then that should have been considered! Harbors can be upgraded.
        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
          So the question I have is...
          Is it only a harbor issue that's stopping the trips or the actual conditions in the channels?
          If it's the channels then that should have been considered! Harbors can be upgraded.
          If I understand today's Advertiser article, it's the channels. And it was considered - they only expected to be inoperative 4 days a year. And December was the worst time.

Comment

Proving the superiority of the SuperFerry (and talk about needing Barf Bags!)...
            Much has been said here in the past about ferry service in the Seattle area, so it was interesting to find this comment and these two photos on this new page of the wonderful Sailing Scuttlebutt website just now:
            Windstorms in the Pacific Northwest can play havoc on the ferry traffic, which is vital in some areas for transportation. On days like this, the lower platform can become a mess as the force of saltwater waves douse and push around the car cargo.
            Last edited by LikaNui; March 9, 2008, 11:36 AM.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Yeah, it can get pretty messy, getting a saltwater carwash. The majority of vehicles are out of the path of the waves - but not all of 'em.

I have a notoriously queasy gut, but fortunately, I've never needed a barf bag on a Washington State Ferry, even on rough sailings. Now, being at the top of the Space Needle on a windy day, that's another story, as that thing sways noticeably.

(Love your "edit" line, btw...)

Comment

Yeah, it can get pretty messy, getting a saltwater carwash. The majority of vehicles are out of the path of the waves - but not all of 'em.
                Yeah, look at the front of the ferry, in the second photo. Wiiiiide open to all the water and spray. Pretty amazing, especially when you look at that second photo first and look at the first photo second, and imagine all that water going straight into that huge gaping opening. Yikes!

I have a notoriously queasy gut
                How do you do on the road to Hana?

Now, being at the top of the Space Needle on a windy day, that's another story, as that thing sways noticeably.
                Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.
                Had to wash the t-shirt.

(Love your "edit" line, btw...)
                Thanks. I didn't know if anyone actually reads those, but figured it was good for a giggle. Oops, I meant

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                  How do you do on the road to Hana?
                  Haven't gone yet. When I do, I'd better be the driver; that helps.

Comment

I look at the pics and I see how close land is, all those trees in the nearby background. And to think all the criticism the ferry has to contend with especially when it has to deal with the open ocean and winter swells. Anti-ferry folks need some perspective.

Comment

Yeah, it can get pretty messy, getting a saltwater carwash. The majority of vehicles are out of the path of the waves - but not all of 'em.[...]
                      Heh! Reminds me of my Makaha condo's parking garage during the winter!

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                        I look at the pics and I see how close land is, all those trees in the nearby background.
                        Correct - these ferries are travelling on inland waters - they aren't designed for the open sea. (Heck, several of them are so old, they can't even ply the inland waters any longer; one route had ALL of its boats pulled out late last year - imagine the hassle if you used that as a primary commuting route.) The ferries are open at both ends so they can go back and forth between their destination piers without having to turn around.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                          Yeah, look at the front of the ferry, in the second photo. Wiiiiide open to all the water and spray. Pretty amazing, especially when you look at that second photo first and look at the first photo second, and imagine all that water going straight into that huge gaping opening.
                          Those pictures are of the MV Cathlamet and she plies the water between Mukilteo and Clinton.

It is a short passage but you get a nice venturi effect with the wind in there so that sucks (or is is 'blows' ?). In keeping with the relative tightness of the pass, the current howls through there as well and when both are peaking and not playing nicely, you can get in a lot of trouble if you don't know what you are doing.

I am on a ferry 2-3 times a week. So far no baths on the routes I take, but then again, I pick my routes closely.

Google 'Deception Pass'. It gets up to 9 knots there.

The one that will put me on the beach (or wrapped around a piling) is Agate Pass. My waterborne waterloo. Good lingcod and cabezon holes there, tho.
                          You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

SuperFerry is going to start making two trips per day to Maui, according to this Breaking News item on the Advertiser's website. Full story is at the link, but it includes:
                            Hawaii Superferry announced Friday that it is further delaying resumption of service linking Honolulu and Kaua'i, but will instead start a second voyage between Honolulu and Maui, starting Jan. 16.
                            Hawaii Superferry president and CEO John Garibaldi said the Honolulu-Kaua'i service is important to the company which has provided Hawaii with its first interisland vehicle and passenger service.
                            "We've decided, however, to initiate a second voyage to Maui sooner in order to allow more time in which to work with the community on Kauai to ensure a safe and successful resumption of service," Garibaldi said. "As we have always stated, our business model is dependent on running two trips per day, and right now we've got to meet those needs."
                            (...)
                            The second Honolulu-Maui run will be Sundays through Fridays. The $95 million, 350-foot Alakai, which can carry more than 800 passengers and 200 vehicles, will leave Honolulu at 3:15 p.m., arriving in Kahului Harbor at 7 p.m. It will depart Kahului at 8 p.m. and arrive in Honolulu Harbor at 11 p.m.
                            The current service will continue to operate seven days a week, departing Honolulu at 6:30 a.m. and arriving Kahului at 10:15 a.m., and then leaving Kahului at 11:15 a.m. and reaching Honolulu at 2:15 p.m.
                            "A second voyage to Maui will benefit our customers who want the convenience of having an afternoon voyage," Garibaldi said. "The second voyage also will greatly benefit our commercial customers, giving them more flexibility in reaching their markets."
                            (...)

Comment

"The second voyage also will greatly benefit our commercial customers, giving them more flexibility in reaching their markets."

That's a key point. If they can entice more commercial customers with the higher frequency, they can sustain themselves even with lower passenger count.

Comment

Island airfares have gone up to $49. So now the ferry has the cheapest ticket for a passenger. And if anti-go! folks succeed in kicking out go!, I think people will be more thankful the ferry stuck around.

Comment

Working...
                                X