Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ben Guttierrez out at KITV

Originally posted by Erika Engle View Post
    The absence of any mention of Ben in the news release alarmed me as well, esp. since I'd heard about his situation earlier in the week. He's in my column today.
    Orig. URL: http://www.starbulletin.com/business...l?page=all&c=y
    Shortened URL: http://www.hsblinks.com/1p
    Ben has no concrete plans but has high praise for his colleagues at KITV and says he will miss them.

D'Oh! Beaten to the punch by Erika herself!

Comment

Thanks for that, but it seems Kimo the insider got and posted the news release yesterday afternoon, with a comment about the differences between veteran Ben's salary and newbie Amber-Lynn's salary.

I claim no credit for being first on HT w/the news, but I was able to get hold of Ben yesterday (thanks to a little birdie) so that I could have quotes from him in my column.

I've known of Ben's work longer than I've known Ben personally and have tons of respect for him professionally and personally. He's smart and funny as a whip -- and Gridiron would suffer tremendously without his stellar writing and performing.
      I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

The absence of any mention of Ben in the news release alarmed me as well, esp. since I'd heard about his situation earlier in the week. He's in my column today.
        Orig. URL: http://www.starbulletin.com/business...l?page=all&c=y
        Shortened URL: http://www.hsblinks.com/1p
        Ben has no concrete plans but has high praise for his colleagues at KITV and says he will miss them.
        In today's economy, if there is to be a noncompete clause, I better have a very lengthy severance package.
        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

I wonder what other changes will be in-store for KITV and the morning show. Of course, more to follow...

Anyways, I wish Ben on his future endeavors. Hope at least he returns to radio. He has such a good voice for the radio.

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
            "Amber-Lynn has proven herself to be a smart, hard worker here at KITV. Her attitude and energy will be a great addition to our morning newscast," said Tod Pritchard, KITV News Director.
            Hmmm. Her "attitude and energy will be a great addition"? Isn't that kind of implying that Ben didn't have good attitude and energy?

Amber-Lynn's promotion is one element in a series of changes planned for KITV 4 Island Television News This Morning over the next several weeks.
            I wonder what other changes are planned.

Anyway, I too wish Ben all the best. I had the pleasure of working on air with him at KHNR (CNN Hawaii news radio) for a while, before he went to KITV. Maybe a wee bit of ego problem back then, but he was very professional, thorough, full of energy, and extremely bright. I'm sure he'll land on his feet and do well at whatever he attempts next.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Very sorry to hear this. Like others here have said, Ben is a class act and was always fun to talk to in the field.

A man with a quick wit, a sense of humor and a great voice.

Comment

Sad to hear that Ben is leaving. I wish him the best in his future endeavors. I guess this also means that Amber Lynn won't be doing the weekend weather anymore. Since we are talking about KITV I am watching the 5pm newscast and saw a new reporter Kyle Sekimoto. Is he new to the news business or has he worked with other stations?

Comment

Didn't he used to work on the desk at kgmb?

Maybe some of the KGMB'ers can chime in.

Anyway, congrats Kyle! You made it!

Comment

Looks like maybe KITV took Ben's salary and split it in two, to give Amber a raise and to hire Kyle.

Comment

Originally posted by pumpkinboy View Post
                      Didn't he used to work on the desk at kgmb?

Maybe some of the KGMB'ers can chime in.

Anyway, congrats Kyle! You made it!
                      Yes, he did. Kyle will do just fine as a reporter!

Comment

Originally posted by pumpkinboy View Post
                        Didn't he used to work on the desk at kgmb? Maybe some of the KGMB'ers can chime in. Anyway, congrats Kyle! You made it!
                        Kyle did a great job on the desk at KGMB, as well as as a producer at KITV before ultimately being selected for reporter. Good job, Kyle!

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                        USA TODAY, page 2A
                        11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by Spin Dr. View Post
                          Yes, he did. Kyle will do just fine as a reporter!
                          Wow that's pretty darn cool then

Comment

One radio guy decades ago broke a noncompete by going "across the street," from station X to station Y. Station X won the legal battle. DJ/station Y had to PAY. BIG.
                            Interesting example. But it begs the question: Did Station X fire the DJ? Or did the DJ quit?
                            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                              Kyle did a great job on the desk at KGMB, as well as as a producer at KITV before ultimately being selected for reporter. Good job, Kyle!
                              Good info! Thanks!

Comment

On Craiglist, The station is now looking for a part-time weekend weather anchor.

Aj

Comment

Working...
                                X