_Political Animals_ on USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• _Political Animals_ on USA

There's a new six-episode mini-series on USA called Political Animals. Sigourney Weaver stars as a former First Lady who is now Secretary of State after a failed bid at the Presidential nomination. Her ex-husband, the former President, is politically sharp as nails and still (unofficially) advises her, and one of her sons is her press secretary.

The first episode provides all the background and introduces the menagerie of political characters, including the Pulitzer-Prize-winning journalist who seems fixated on the Secretary of State and another of the Secretary's sons who has a drug problem and is openly gay.

Yes, it's all a bit soapy for my tastes, but the acting is terrific, especially by Weaver, and the political machinations are fascinating. If you miss The West Wing, this might give you a little fix. I find it a welcome respite from the reality of true-life political campaigning.

Reviews have mostly been quite positive, with raves coming mostly for the acting and political dynamics. I became aware of the show when Weaver was interviewed by Jon Stewart on The Daily Show, and 'though I missed the initial airing, I caught a replay Thursday night. There are four more replays between now and Sunday's new episode (Friday at 11:01 p.m., Saturday at 1:00 p.m., Sunday at 12:00 p.m., and Sunday at 1:30 p.m.). The new episodes are set for Sundays at 10:00 p.m.

I like it. I'm on board. Did anyone else catch it?
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: _Political Animals_ on USA

I never watch this type of cookiecutter cable TV melodrama, but inadvertantly caught the beginning of the premier episode, it was terrible.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Re: _Political Animals_ on USA

I guess one of the nice things about not watching much television is that I don't recognize cookie-cutter when I'm seeing it. I think the political maneuvering is kind of cool and don't remember seeing this kind of thing since The West Wing, which I never watched much of anyway. I do know good acting when I see it, and the acting is uncommonly good for television, especially for original programming on basic cable.

The second episode aired last night and it was as good as the first. It got even soapier, something I could do without, but the political stuff was cool. A fun ninety minutes.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
      X