X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 4

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
    Third, if you use a major credit card (e.g. VISA, Master Card) that is a GOLD card level or higher, the CDW is covered by the credit card.
    Huh, I didn't know that... thanks for the info I'll have to check into it before I go next month. I wasn't planning to do the CDW anyway just 'cause my current insurance already handles it, but it'd be nice to be responsible for zero instead of my regular deductible (not to mention potential rate hikes if anything happens).

Comment

Originally posted by Bard View Post
      Huh, I didn't know that... thanks for the info I'll have to check into it before I go next month.
      When you check into it, find out how it works. It might be that in the end they will pay up, but in the meantime, you might have to pay the rental company up front. Never checked into it myself, but seems like I've heard a horror story or two along that line.

Comment

Hopefully the new Hawai'i Superferry won't suffer the same fate as the Spirit of Ontario I, which was the Austal-built ferry that local residents saw about 3 years ago on its way to delivery in Canada. The company that originally bought the vessel declared bankruptcy, sold the boat to the city of Rochester, and now, the boat is up for sale again.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Common bumper-sticker here on Kaua'i -----

"SINK DA SUPER FERRY!"

I'm with them! They never did an environmental assessment on this project, consequently they are doing only the bare minimum to avoid collisions with marine wildlife (we'll have a watch onboard to look for whales!!)....same with trying to keep "invasive species" away from areas not infected (well, we'll look at the cars, and if they are dirty, we won't let them on!).....not to mention the ease at which drugs, etc. will be able to be transported inter-island....their security seems very lax at the best.....there has been pretty spirited debate about this in our "Garden Island" newspaper since it was first announced. The huge full-page ads that the Ferry people have placed are pretty tacky also.

I too initially thought this was a great idea, but like a great number of Kaua'i folks, have revised my opinion after reading more about this. I don't want more drug problems on Kaua'i, nor pests from other islands (human and otherwise) infecting the 'aina here....and what with the fare wares lately with "Go" airline....the prices aren't even that great. Let alone the time factor with travel.

I don't think anything will stop it at this point in time unfortunately, but I certainly hope that things turn out better than people have predicted. Hawai'i doesn't need another problem imported from the Mainland.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
            Hopefully the new Hawai'i Superferry won't suffer the same fate as the Spirit of Ontario I, which was the Austal-built ferry that local residents saw about 3 years ago on its way to delivery in Canada. The company that originally bought the vessel declared bankruptcy, sold the boat to the city of Rochester, and now, the boat is up for sale again.

Miulang
            Spirit of Ontario screwed themselves up in many ways so SF will not be in the same predicament.

1) They opted for these special engines that would do very well on the lakes but they forgot they had to navigate the boat across the Pacific from Australia. End result - they prematurely burnt out their engines.

2) They tried to be cheap by flagging the boat Panamanian I think. End result - US gave them low priority treatment for any needs. Canada did the same thing to them. So they screwed themselves by winning no allies.

Originally posted by koloagirl View Post

Common bumper-sticker here on Kaua'i -----

"SINK DA SUPER FERRY!"

I'm with them! They never did an environmental assessment on this project, consequently they are doing only the bare minimum to avoid collisions with marine wildlife (we'll have a watch onboard to look for whales!!)....same with trying to keep "invasive species" away from areas not infected (well, we'll look at the cars, and if they are dirty, we won't let them on!).....not to mention the ease at which drugs, etc. will be able to be transported inter-island....their security seems very lax at the best.....there has been pretty spirited debate about this in our "Garden Island" newspaper since it was first announced. The huge full-page ads that the Ferry people have placed are pretty tacky also.

I too initially thought this was a great idea, but like a great number of Kaua'i folks, have revised my opinion after reading more about this. I don't want more drug problems on Kaua'i, nor pests from other islands (human and otherwise) infecting the 'aina here....and what with the fare wares lately with "Go" airline....the prices aren't even that great. Let alone the time factor with travel.

I don't think anything will stop it at this point in time unfortunately, but I certainly hope that things turn out better than people have predicted. Hawai'i doesn't need another problem imported from the Mainland.
            I think there's a lot of "sky is falling" mentality in your arguments. So, just how will you look out for marine life with no one on watch? I guess maybe sonar to drive them away? As for "invasive species", again, what else do you want? A chemical spray down of the car? If so, how come you don't require it from Young Brothers when a car is shipped via barge? Drugs? Same thing, what about the barges?

Another problem imported from the Mainland? What mainland? The boats are interisland. Or are you just trying to say, keep the rest of Hawaii out of Kauai? So much for Aina.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
              I think there's a lot of "sky is falling" mentality in your arguments.
              I agree. Koloagirl's comments are way too simplistic and ignore an awful lot of FACTS. I recommend that she first read back through various Superferry threads here, and do a lot more homework on the issues involved.
              For instance, I've personally seen the massive amount of whale-avoidance research and planning they've done. Far more than anything required by any federal or state environmental and wildlife agencies. And that massive research was done extremely early in the initial conceptualization stages.
              And the founder of the SuperFerry is a long-term and extremely active environmentalist himself.
              Please do some research, Koloagirl. And ask yourself who is behind the anti-ferry group(s), and what they gain financially if the ferry doesn't happen.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Whoo -- plenty of huhu after my poor little post!

Sorry that I offended you with my "simplistic" comments -- which were only offered after reading our local paper every morning and which has had much back and forth about this subject by other simpletons like me. Also local news reports, etc. I guess that doesn't count as all of us regular folks are also "simplistic" and uninformed. All of those environmental groups that seem so concerned about the Super Ferry must be pretty embarrassed to be caught out so uninformed as well.

I am no scientist or environmentalist and haven't done months of research....unlike you apprently -- I am just a resident who is concerned about the subjects that have been raised by many other people on this island.

And yes, I am always skeptical of huge, multi-million dollar projects brought here from the Mainland. I've no idea why

Comment

Originally posted by koloagirl View Post
                  Whoo -- plenty of huhu after my poor little post!

Sorry that I offended you with my "simplistic" comments -- which were only offered after reading our local paper every morning and which has had much back and forth about this subject by other simpletons like me. Also local news reports, etc. I guess that doesn't count as all of us regular folks are also "simplistic" and uninformed. All of those environmental groups that seem so concerned about the Super Ferry must be pretty embarrassed to be caught out so uninformed as well.

I am no scientist or environmentalist and haven't done months of research....unlike you apprently -- I am just a resident who is concerned about the subjects that have been raised by many other people on this island.

And yes, I am always skeptical of huge, multi-million dollar projects brought here from the Mainland. I've no idea why
                  I'm not offended by your comments or opposition. But I just want to know what details do you have instead of just blanket statements? I'm no scientist or environmentalist either but I did read enough of both sides to draw my conclusions. A lot of arguments made against the SF are not applied to Young Brothers. I have to ask why? Since you are skeptical, why aren't you skeptical that those who want to shut down SF may be special interests themselves? Of course they will find a banner to rally behind, in this case, environmental concerns. But I find hypocrisy when they don't apply the same pressure to YB barges or to the cruise ships that now make almost a daily port call.

I see SF having the potential to lower the cost of living within the state and that's a good enough reason for me to support it. SF, from what I can see, has made efforts to minimize their environmental footprint. I'm sure it won't please everyone no matter how much they do.

Comment

I am aware that some of the people who oppose the Super Ferry might be special interest folks -- but I can't ignore some of the arguments that I've read about and ultimately I trust environmentalists more than big business.
                    I feel there are many valid points taken that this will negatively impact the Hawaiian Islands, most specifically the environment.

While I can't be more specific and quote any of their articles (as I stated I am not obsessed with this, just reading in the paper, etc. and making my own opinion) I know that the 2 biggest things that people felt were being soft-pedaled were the concerns about collisions with marine wildlife and invasive species being introduced to areas not already infected.

What I read led me to think that the Super Ferry did not want and did not request an Environmental Impact Assessment. While I know that this is costly, I do not think that a huge project such as this that will ultimately impact the Hawaiian islands and its environment should shy away from something that would give a clearer picture to everyone on just how their project will affect the islands and its population, both human and animal.

As I said before, when this project was first introduced I thought it would be great for all of us also. Then over the course of the next year, after reading articles, editorials, etc. in the paper and the news......I have changed my mind. This is my perogative.

I hope that I am wrong since this is obviously happening whether I like it or not. Only time will tell -- let's hope that this forum a year from now doesn't have further postings discussing the latest whale fatality, etc. I remain highly skeptical.

Comment

Container loads of goods, as well as heavy equipment, cars, stacks of lumber and tons upon tons of materials get moved via barge to both Kauai and Maui -- and all the islands every day.

The amount of people, luggage and vehicles moved via the Superferry is dwarfed by all the other modes of transportation.

Does anyone inspect boots with lug soles to see if they're free of dirt and debris when people step off the plane? Those Vibram soles can contain a lot of unwanted seeds from invasive species. As silly as it sounds, if you go to New Zealand they'll ask to inspect your boots. I'd bet good money that no one is at the airpot in Kauai checking to see if people have clean shoes!

And is anyone inspecting the pallets of goods coming via barge to make sure nothing unwanted hides among the stacks of 2x4's, plywood and cement bags?

Again, the Superferry's contribution to this risk is small.

As for collisions with whales, what is anyone doing to make sure the Navy's own fast ships, as well as all the privately owned boats and vessels, aren't going to collide with marine mammals? Why just single out the Superferry which will make a single run to each island per day when all these other vessels can operate without the same concerns?

I'm not saying it shouldn't be done. But if the Superferry has to operate with a high level of care, then so should everyone else.

Comment

The main thing I would worry about is if it also carried military equipment between Honolulu and the Big Island on some runs and whether or not that military equipment is carrying traces of depleted uranium from exploded armament (the same stuff that some Iraqi vets from Gulf War I are claiming is making them sick and causing birth defects among Iraqi babies). And it's not dirt from peoples' shoes that are the worry; it's the dirt and mud that will be driven aboard the boats on the tires of cars and trucks that could be the issue (I suppose that could be remedied if all trucks and cars had to drive through troughs filled with some sort of chemical disinfectant prior to boarding).

More critical, however, is the fact that all of the neighbor island harbors where Superferry is supposed to dock are way overcrowded already, and the road infrastructure is woefully inadequate around the harbor areas. The EIS's that are being requested are not just for Superferry but for evaluating the overcrowding situation at Naalehu, Kahului and Kawaihae and the requirements for all the ports for all types of use through 2030.

Miulang
                        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

The main thing I would worry about is if it also carried military equipment between Honolulu and the Big Island on some runs and whether or not that military equipment is carrying traces of depleted uranium from exploded armament (the same stuff that some Iraqi vets from Gulf War I are claiming is making them sick and causing birth defects among Iraqi babies). And it's not dirt from peoples' shoes that are the worry; it's the dirt and mud that will be driven aboard the boats on the tires of cars and trucks that could be the issue (I suppose that could be remedied if all trucks and cars had to drive through troughs filled with some sort of chemical disinfectant prior to boarding).

More critical, however, is the fact that all of the neighbor island harbors where Superferry is supposed to dock are way overcrowded already, and the road infrastructure is woefully inadequate around the harbor areas. The EIS's that are being requested are not just for Superferry but for evaluating the overcrowding situation at Naalehu, Kahului and Kawaihae and the requirements for all the ports for all types of use through 2030.

Miulang
                          Some ideas regarding transporting of military equipment.

1) Perhaps basically ban SF from serving military contracts though I find this hard and unfair considering HA/AQ do it all the time.

2) Assuming no DU rounds are used for training, establish independent team with Geiger counters to inspect cargo each time before it gets loaded. Surely, there must be a radioactive threshold considered safe to the populace? Let's not kid ourselves, radioactive material is shipped around the world every day in the form of medical uses, etc, via everyday carriers like UPS & FedEx. How do you know that box of cookies from mom wasn't sitting next to a shipment of Polonium in a Fedex truck?

Regarding invasive species, I am all for prevention of invasive species but we really need to make the standards uniform. Why does a car need a chemical spray down on SF when nothing is required on a barge? I believe every flight to Australia gets a chemical spray down to prevent invasive species. Check out the youtube clip, they don't care if there's a pax sitting there, they just spray. So if Hawaii introduces a uniform code that applies to all airlines and ships, then I'm all for it. But if you're selectively picking on SF, I have to say there are ulterior motives.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXrTi81FP5E

I have no probs with EIS for harbor masterplans but people need to realize SF applied under current State regulations that did not require an EIS so people should direct the anger at the State, not a company that's trying to start up another link between the islands.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                            Some ideas regarding transporting of military equipment.

1) Perhaps basically ban SF from serving military contracts though I find this hard and unfair considering HA/AQ do it all the time.

2) Assuming no DU rounds are used for training, establish independent team with Geiger counters to inspect cargo each time before it gets loaded. Surely, there must be a radioactive threshold considered safe to the populace? Let's not kid ourselves, radioactive material is shipped around the world every day in the form of medical uses, etc, via everyday carriers like UPS & FedEx. How do you know that box of cookies from mom wasn't sitting next to a shipment of Polonium in a Fedex truck?
                            Unfortunately, it appears that DU-armed armament has been tested at Schofield Barracks.
                            The extent of adverse health and environmental effects of uranium weapons contamination is not limited to combat zones but includes facilities and sites where uranium weapons were manufactured or tested including Vieques; Puerto Rico; Colonie, New York; Concord, MA; Jefferson Proving Grounds, Indiana; and Schofield Barracks, Hawaii. Therefore medical care must be provided by the United States Department of Defense officials to all individuals affected by the manufacturing, testing, and/or use of uranium munitions. Thorough environmental remediation also must be completed without further delay.
                            Some scientists believe there is no "safe" level of radioactivity for humans, and uranium is one of the deadliest forms of radioactive elements.

Miulang

Comment

The main thing I would worry about is if it also carried military equipment (...)
                              Well, that's a big "if". We don't know that they're going to do that, and "if" they did, wouldn't they be subject to extremely stringent controls? I mean, a non-military company carrying military material... gotta be regulations and oversights already in place, yeah?

And it's not dirt from peoples' shoes that are the worry;
                              Yes, actually that is a worry. Ever notice how many of Hawaii's hiking trails have step-through brushes installed at the trail heads and large signs begging people to clean their boot soles so as not to introduce invasive species? So yes, shoes are a worry.
                              But again, why not make all interisland carriers, of any transportation mode, do the same thing? Why just the SuperFerry? Can we spell "discrimination', boys and girls? Yes, I knew you could.

it's the dirt and mud that will be driven aboard the boats on the tires of cars and trucks that could be the issue
                              And again, why not the tires of vehicles on the barges??? Why just the SuperFerry?
                              Oh. Right. Because the barge companies don't want the competition so they're behind the "sky is falling" pseudo-panic. $hee$h.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

"The sky is falling!"----Chicken Little

The Superferry consists of ONE SHIP. Eventually....TWO SHIPS.

Gimme a damn break already. Do you have any clue as to how many ships arrive on a daily basis from Asia and the Mainland? Inter-island? Leisure cruises?

Can you say "airlines fearing competition manipulating eco-freako groups?"

Comment

Working...
                                X