X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The 2008 Presidential Elections - Chapter 3

Originally posted by timkona View Post
    If Obama chooses John Edwards as a running mate, a lot of Republicans will consider that a very wise decision. Very wise, indeed.

I would go so far as to say that if Edwards was the head of the ticket 4 years ago, he would reside in the White House.
    As much as I like John Edwards, he carried no southern states and in fact lost his home state of North Carolina as Kerry's running mate. I think if Kerry had chosen John McCain as his running mate in 2004, Kerry might have won the White House.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
      Lieberman would probably accept, though he might be more liability than benefit - McCain needs to shore up his GOP base, and Lieberman would be seen by many Reps as too long connected with the Demo side (having been their v.p. candidate last time out). I doubt Richardson would accept the offer. Edwards ... well, I'm not as certain.
      That's an interesting concept. You are right about the time being ripe - but it probably won't happen yet. A "unification" ticket would certainly have some appeal.
      I can see McCain considering Lieberman, however I think it's always risky to choose someone on a ticket that has previously lost.

Nixon was 4-1 on the GOP ticket as President or VP.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
        I think if Kerry had chosen John McCain as his running mate in 2004, Kerry might have won the White House.
        Remember, though, that McCain’s people publicly disavowed the idea, so choosing him as VP wasn’t an option.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
        USA TODAY, page 2A
        11 March 1993

Comment

There's still five months left in the campaign - plenty of time for GOP strategists to pull out all kinds of Rovian maneuvers, nastier than any we've seen to date - and don't doubt that plenty of voters WILL fall for them.
          Oh, no doubt you will always have the gullible voters who will fall for the mudslinging. In 1988, it was the Willie Horton ads. In 2004, it was the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth.

But in a year with the economy in a recession and Americans fed up with the war in Iraq, I don't think voters are going to be swayed by those kinds of campaign smears. The issues are too important.

And this isn't just wishful thinking on my part. I don't know if you are aware of it, but a month ago in a special election to fill a US House seat in Mississippi, the GOP candidate in the race ran a TV commercial linking his Democratic opponent (Travis Childers) to Obama and Rev. Wright. This, at a time, when the Rev. Wright controversy was at its peak. Guess what? Childers decisively WON the election. And this, in a northern Miss. congressional district that is heavily Republican.

So yeah. If McCain and the GOP are going to use smears and attack ads as the centerpiece in their effort to win the White House, then GREAT!!! They're going to go down in defeat, just as the GOP tried in vain to mudsling against Clinton in '92. Gennifer Flowers. Avoiding the draft. Smoking ( but not inhaling) pot. As we now know, none of it worked as Clinton stormed to an easy win over H.W. Bush. With the economy mired in a recession, voting for a change in administration was a no-brainer for most voters.

So it will be for Obama this year. You guys can disagree with me if you want, of course. But come November 4th (and barring some colossal gaffe on Obama's part), you'll find that I'm right.

And if the rising price of oil will be the top issue in November, then Sen. McCain will have the advantage; he and Sen. Clinton are supportive of a "gas tax holiday" over the summer months, while Sen. Obama opposes it. Which plan do you think will win over voters?
          Well, the gas tax holiday proposal didn't work for Hillary in the primary. Economists universally criticized the plan and even McCain's camp won't pretend that it is a long-term solution to the energy crisis. Most voters recognized the gas tax holiday for what it was. A gimmick and political pandering, at its worst.

I agree that the candidate who provides the best answer to the question of "What will you do about rising gas prices?" will likely win the election. But if the best plan that McCain can come up with is the gas tax gimmick, he's gonna lose. Big time.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
            But come November 4th (and barring some colossal gaffe on Obama's part), you'll find that I'm right.
            I sure hope you are, you know.

Comment

Seems to me that given the fact that HRC had huge support in the Hispanic community, Richardson is the natural choice as VP for BHO. I'd be satisfied with that.
              “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
              http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

New potential VP name floating about: Claire McCaskill

Eh, I'd rather have her than Hillary, but I believe Kathleen Sebelius is better than both of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
                  New potential VP name floating about: Claire McCaskill

Eh, I'd rather have her than Hillary, but I believe Kathleen Sebelius is better than both of them.
                  Problem with Kathleen Sebelius is,... even with her popularity in Kansas, she's not likely to put her home state into play for Obama. Kansas has historically been a red state. In the last 68 years, they have only voted for the Democratic candidate for President ONCE, that being in 1964.

Missouri Senator McCaskill, OTOH, comes from a swing state.
                  This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Switching gears to the Republican side, lone holdout Ron Paul, the last Republican candidate still in the race against John McCain finally suspended his campaign today. However, not only did he not endorse John McCain, he re-iterated his promise to hold a separate convention in the same city as the Republican National Convention on the same day. In his campaign closing speech in Texas, he announced the “second phase” of the Ron Paul Revolution: funding the campaigns of Paul-philosophy candidates nationwide in any party using the $4.7 million remaining in his campaign warchest.

Get ready for an interesting election here in Hawai‘i! If you note the latest candidate declaration sheet, many of Ron Paul’s Hawai‘i campaign staff who attended the controversial Hawai‘i GOP Convention this year, are running for office! With Paul’s financial backing, some veteran incumbents in the legislature may get a run for their money!

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                    11 March 1993

Comment

This just in from an AOL newsite poll.

Who will you vote for in November?
                      John McCain 54%
                      Barack Obama 37%
                      Other or undecided 6%
                      I'm not going to vote 3%

And yet, the lib media wants you to believe that Obama has a slim lead. Spin Spin Spin
                      FutureNewsNetwork.com
                      Energy answers are already here.

Comment

http://www.pollingreport.com/wh08gen.htm
                        http://www.presidentpolls2008.com/
                        http://www.rasmussenreports.com/publ...tch_up_history

Rinse. Repeat.
                        Last edited by sinjin; June 17, 2008, 07:59 AM.
                        “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."

Comment

Experience will be the deciding factor. imho.
                          FutureNewsNetwork.com
                          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                            Experience will be the deciding factor. imho.
                            Let's hope so:

Here's McCain's past in a nutshell:

Grew up in a prominent rightwing Navy family and was indoctrinated in naval dominance of the globe.

Went to Annapolis and ranked at the very bottom of his class because he resented authority.

Went to Vietnam and crashed several planes.

Spent 6 years as a POW and "broke" under torture.

Came home and dumped the wife who raised his children while he was away and nursed him back to health on his return.

Married a much younger woman who was heir to a mobbed-up Budweiser fortune.

Worked in his in-laws' business traveling across Arizona building a base for his political career.

Used his in-laws' money to get elected to the House as an anti-abortion, "pro-family" candidate.

Worked his way up from the House to the Senate by being a loyal right-wing Republican.

As a Senator, got caught helping Charles Keating deregulate S&L's, which cost taxpayers $200 billion, and was censured by the Senate.
                            Promised never to do favors for lobbyists again.

Ran for President in 2000 as a reformer and won New Hampshire.

Got crushed in South Carolina after he called Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell "agents of intolerance" and they fired back with a pro-Bush smear campaign that McCain had an "illegitimate black child" - actually a dark-skinned child (Bridget) adopted from impoverished Bangladesh. Nevertheless, McCain enthusiastically supported Bush both in 2000 and 2004.

In 2001, he opposed Bush's $1.35 trillion tax giveaway to the rich, but changed his position during the 2007 campaign.

In 2001, he was so opposed to Bush's far-right policies that he considered becoming a Democrat, but ultimately stayed a Republican and supported Bush's far-right policies.

In 2002, he was a leading advocate for the invasion of Iraq, spent far more time on TV than any other Senator, and wrongly predicted "victory" and "success" every step of the way.

In 2004, he betrayed his friend John Kerry by refusing to defend him against Swift Boat smears.

In 2007, when a supporter asked "How do we beat the bitch," referring to Sen. Hillary Clinton, McCain laughed and called it an "excellent question."

In 2007, with the U.S. on the brink of attacking Iran, McCain joked by singing "Bomb, Bomb, Bomb, Bomb Bomb Iran."

In 2008, when caught doing favors for lobbyist Vicki Iseman and her corporate clients, lied about his actions.
                            http://www.democrats.com/mccains-experience

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Euu_DMhsXQo

Don't click if you don't like bad words.
                              http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                              http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

There are some women, feminists in fact, who would argue that “cunt” is not a bad word.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                                11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
                                X