X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I got attacked by a haole because Im a haole

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    ... one confused individual ...
    Yeah, that reminds me of long ago on HT, when I presumed to tell you how you should be dealing your own ancestry, CW.

Did I ever apologize to you for being such a jerk at that time? If not, I apologize now.

Comment

I was just wondering, were the police involved in this at any point? What a yucky situation. Glad you are o.k.

Comment

Whenever we refer to inequities, wrongdoing, fault, or the like and interject words that relate to 'race,' 'ethnicity,' country of origin,' religion,' 'belief systems,' or anything else that refers to things other than personal, individual choice, you can be assured that such references are 100% wrong. Or perhaps 90%.... (because of parental/cultural influence being so strong).
        Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
        ~ ~
        Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
        Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
        Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Here's Omar Khayyam's advice:

From mean and snappish sots, bereft of sense,
          Aloof you stay, and thus avoid offense;
          At song or talk they wrangle, even fight,
          Excuse yourself and seek your exit thence.

Drink wine with witty souls who rob your heart,
          'Tis cure for sorrow's fangs wherewith you smart;
          I stay in perfect bliss enrapt in love,
          You won't, I cannot help, then go, be tart!
          May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Wow, I'm sorry to hear you were a victim of violence, TG :_( I'm glad you're still able to write and communicate, after receiving a head injury. I'm glad you have friends you can lean on for emotional support.

It's a shame when people take their rage and frustrations out on innocent people. It's not fair, but sadly life isn't fair.

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
            But she gets all berserk saying that the sacred falls tragedy was caused by the haoles angering the aina with their lack of respect and their stupid haoleness! WHAT!!? Im like "babies were crushed! There were so many life changing, tho not life-ending injuries, and so many survivors who had to experience their loved ones hurt or dead.
            I assume you minded your own business and didn't argue with her or roll your eyes?

In the end she perceived you as a safe target for her rage. She was probably jealous of you too.

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
            What options did I have? If I walked away, I guarantee she would have chased me down in the bathroom or parking lot.
            You definitely don't want to turn your back on her (nor lose the benefit of having witnesses). If she was drunk enough, and you had the room to maneuver, you might have been able to keep side stepping her until she got tired, lost her balance, or a bouncer got to you. It's hard to react, though, when you're surprised and shocked.

One option you had, and it's not an easy one for young people, is you and your friends could have switched tables or leave the bar once you realized the woman was crazy. I know, "Why should we ruin our fun when we were here first?", but that thinking is based on fairness, and life isn't fair unless you impose fairness with power.

One motto I follow is "Don't go to stupid places with stupid people who do stupid things". Of course the down side is I'm a dull person. And no, I'm not saying you and your friends were being stupid that night.

It's about balancing risk and reward. When you do choose to take risks, stay aware (not paranoid). Quickly consider some scenarios and what you might do. You don't need a perfect plan, you just need to give your mind options, so it's less likely to freeze up.

Self defense is mostly mental preparation and avoidance. Having good cardio helps a lot too.

Take care and bless.
            Last edited by MyopicJoe; August 18, 2011, 11:24 PM.
            "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
            "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
            "
            Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
              Yeah, that reminds me of long ago on HT, when I presumed to tell you how you should be dealing your own ancestry, CW.

Did I ever apologize to you for being such a jerk at that time? If not, I apologize now.

Yes LL you actually logged in an official apology at our Apology Thread on post #10 that cleared you and everyone that registered there from all past and future issues of Jerkness

For all newcomers please go to this thread and register your humble apology for all future "foot in mouth" issues that eventually will come up in the future on this board.

Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

That's a rough story, and I'm glad you are okay.

Last time I got attacked by a haole 'cause I'm a haole was waiting for the bus in first grade, in Haiku...Pretty sure the other kid was trying to impress the rest, make it clear that HE wasn't like me. (It only happened once, so minahs in the end.)

Get a few crazy, upset people everyplace.

Comment

If I had to hazard a guess as to why the woman was so full of rage, perhaps she suffers from the same problem mulatto people face: accepted by neither white nor black people.

Or she could just be on crack.
                  "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                  "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                  "
                  Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Working...
                  X