2018 UH Warrior football season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 UH Warrior football season

I hadn't paid squat for attention thru the off season without even a clue who might even be our QB. then lo and behold we're into the 2nd game of the season having won the opener on the road at CSU, the first since the '80s, and then tonite while I was away on a dinner date the team takes win #2 at home against NAVY and scoring 59 points with big numbers on the ground and air! in review it looks like Cole McDonald has some goods and plenty of guts to carry most of the team on his back as they struggle on defense and gave up 41 points. next up is Rice which promises win #3 of a schedule that favors a rejuvenated UH squad. good for Rolo, the coaches, and the young men under the helmets, things are looking up!
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Re: 2018 UH Warrior football season

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
    having won the opener on the road at CSU, the first since the '80s, and then tonite while I was away on a dinner date the team takes win #2 at home against NAVY and scoring 59 points with big numbers on the ground and air! in review it looks like Cole McDonald has some goods and plenty of guts to carry most of the team on his back as they struggle on defense and gave up 41 points. next up is Rice which promises win #3 of a schedule that favors a rejuvenated UH squad. good for Rolo, the coaches, and the young men under the helmets, things are looking up!
    I had to work, myself, but I did still end up watching the game — thanks to an upload that has probably been taken down by now. Amazing! Hawai‘i’s team looks crisp and controlled this year.

Clearly, Rolo is finally getting a shot to play the players HE recruited. Not the leftovers from Chow time. Cole McDonald could be another Colt Brennan. Not too many long throws, but he’s still wracking up the yardage!

Special teams again was excellent — even blocking a punt and returning it for a TD.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
      Rolo is finally getting a shot to play the players HE recruited. Not the leftovers from Chow time. Cole McDonald could be another Colt Brennan. Not too many long throws, but he’s still wracking up the yardage!
      yes, it's a new page and totally Rolo's team now, if they continue on this path maybe they'll reclaim some of UH's glory days after the roller coaster of the last 2 decades which for myriad reasons put off a lot of once die-hard fans and still has me pissed off about losing coaches I liked. so far, this team manages to not shoot it'self in the foot with super stupid penalties, lack of effort and wimping out, nor the infamous dropped passes, 3 things which seemed were going to be their terminal death knell. after last season's debacle it'll take a great string of wins and a bowl game to hopefully get butts back in the seats which is critical for the long haul if the program is gonna survive with this no free TV crap that helped lose supporters even during better moments. that link is still up, I'll be watching.

Comment

I still can't figure out why Dru Brown transferred?

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
          Considering Brown’s roommate at the University of Hawai‘i ALSO transferred, you might try asking him...

Dru Brown's roommate at Hawaii offers insight into the mind of OSU's new quarterback

by SCOTT WRIGHT
          Published: Sun, July 8, 2018 12:00 AM

As Brown's roommate, Gallup was one of the few people who had a good idea Brown would be transferring after the 2017 season. The two were heavily involved in discussions about the decision and the schools Brown was considering before picking OSU.

“He's got goals. He's got dreams,” Gallup said. “Doing what he's doing, leaving a starting spot at Hawaii and going somewhere else proves that.

“For him to leave for what he thought was a better spot for him really says everything. To leave something good for something that's unknown is hard to do, but it tells you a lot about how driven he is.”

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
          11 March 1993

Comment

for the first time in a decade it's a 3-0 start, and now off to battle ARMY next week after escaping with a home win against Rice where the Warriors struggled at times when straying from their run n shoot game plan then coming back to form in the final minutes to seal the deal. dropped balls and penalties were again less of a problem than in past years but the offense kept the D on the field way too much and they may have been lucky to beat a team which should have been in the bag.
            but a win is a win!

Comment

Booooo! UH should have won by three touchdowns instead of two. Bring back Norm Chow.

Comment

the offense kept the D on the field way too much
                I hope this is a joke, Ron. The only reason the D was on the field was so much is because Hawai‘i’s run-and-shoot offense kept scoring touchdowns! There was maybe one 3-and-out by UH in the ENTIRE game. Did you even watch, Ron?! The ONLY way the offense would spend more time on the field is to SUCK MORE and take longer to score.

Booooo! UH should have won by three touchdowns instead of two. Bring back Norm Chow.
                That does sound like what Ron is saying, isn’t it? LMAO.

Special teams — while more reliable this season — is partially to blame for the overworked defense. The play that comes to mind is Cole McDonald and gang having to start on their own 1 yard line. It’s becoming clearer that the main reason special teams is playing better overall is because more starters are being asked to help out.

Aside from that, the defense had too many costly mental lapses. These were mostly just missed tackles. UH really needs to get it together on that side of the ball. Yes, celebrate great plays — but play consistent throughout the game. If it weren’t for McDonald, Byrd and Holly rescuing the team with two quick TDs, the momentum was going Rice’s way.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                  Did you even watch, Ron?
                  Special teams — while more reliable this season — is partially to blame for the overworked defense.
                  only got in the last 15min on radio and judged this analysis by the play by play / various commentary hoping to catch a replay and review to edit my post if needed, but never happened. yet you say the D were overworked so maybe I didn't overstate it, and the O did produce ...at times, even tho sputtering for a while.
                  on to game 4!

Comment

''Meet the 2-Star QB Lighting It Up for Hawaii'' https://syndication.bleacherreport.c...awaii.amp.html

Comment

hoping to catch a replay and review to edit my post if needed, but never happened.
                      That’s why I’m here for you, Ron. To make it happen (click the link below).

Hawai‘i Rainbow Warriors vs Rice Owls 2018

USA TODAY, page 2A
                      11 March 1993

Comment

ARMY walks away with a win Hawaii should have won thanx to their D

Comment

It's always important to say the right things in life. You never know. So I get the "public statements."

There must be other reasons for leaving, when you are the starting QB. The job was yours. And it's your Senior (last) year. You got your undergrad, and in graduate school. So more time to focus on football.

There was no reason for Brown to leave. To "compete" for a job, when you already got one?

Brown is smart. He knows he got a good future. Maybe not in the NFL. So wouldn't it be better to stay in Hawaii? Be the starting QB? He invested two years, and the 3rd should be the charm.

UH does not miss him now with Cole McDonald. So all is well for the program.

Comment

rebuilding!
                            on to SJ St.

Comment

Originally posted by cabanalane View Post
                              (Dru) Brown is smart. He knows he got a good future. Maybe not in the NFL. So wouldn't it be better to stay in Hawaii? Be the starting QB? He invested two years, and the 3rd should be the charm.

UH does not miss him now with Cole McDonald. So all is well for the program.
                              Be that as it may, the Hawai‘i Rainbow Warriors got off to a rocky start against the Duquesne Dukes this past weekend. This is a very good FCS team — but at the end of the day, they are an FCS team. Horrible, horrible special teams. Other than that, both offense and defense for the most part, played well. Still a LOT to work on before matching up against Mountain West opponent SJSU.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                              11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
                              X