Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KHON Audio levels... It was happening before the takeover!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KHON Audio levels... It was happening before the takeover!!!

I wish KHON would either bring up the audio on there regular programming or bring down the audio on their commercials.

Everytime the channel comes to a commercial the audio is so loud that I literally have to turn down the volume each time the commercials come on.

This has been happening for as long as I can remember.

Anyone else irritated and/or annoyed with the Audio Levels on KHON?
    Last edited by damontucker; February 13, 2006, 06:03 PM. Reason: typo and clarification

Re: KHON Audio levels... It was happening before the takeover!!!

Annoyed? Yes. Disgusted? No.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
      Everytime the channel comes to a commercial the audio is so loud that I literally have to turn down the volume each time the commercials come on.
      There’s more at play here than just mere volume. It’s the way commercials are produced. This story might shed some light on the issue.

Loud Commercials: Do We Turn Up The Volume On Commercials?

"Why do you people turn up the volume on commercials?"

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
      USA TODAY, page 2A
      11 March 1993

Comment

manoasurfer, i actually listed this phenomena as one of the things that pisses me off in another thread but i never thought it was specific to khon. doesn't it happen on ever channel?

bottom line: it sucks.
        525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Louder commercials are a wide-spread problem in the industry. I've noticed something else about KHON's audio though that really annoys me, but it's probably something unique to me.

I have a home theater setup and my A/V receiver has a means of synthesizing "surround sound" from audio sources that are just normal 2-channel stereo. It works surprisingly well on every channel on my digital cable box except KHON! There's something different about the audio signal on KHON that thoroughly confuses the surround synthesizer on my receiver. Most of the time when I watch KHON, music and background sounds are sent out to all of my speakers at a volume level that tends to drown out the voices from the center speaker. If I turn off the "fake" surround, things sound pretty normal, but then I just get plain old 2-channel stereo. The problem is worst when watching "The O.C." It's not as bad with "House" or "24" - maybe my receiver doesn't like my taste in programming?

I couldn't begin to guess what KHON might be doing differently from everyone else. I can't even be certain the problem is with them and not Oceanic. I doubt that anything could be done about it even if I could determine the cause. Sorry, I'm just venting...
          No, I'm not the Larry Price, I just happen to have the same name.

Comment

I've mentioned this before but it was attributed to the Satellite rebroadcast that had the opposite effect. The commercials were a bit muted but when Joe Moore spoke (any of the news feeds from KHON) the levels were as if someone had cranked the volume of my TV set full cock.

But getting back OT, louder commercial levels are a marketing ploy that is supposed to be kept in check. You would think with today's modern automatic gain control (AGC) this kind of varying audio levels could be maintained.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryPrice
              I have a home theater setup and my A/V receiver has a means of synthesizing "surround sound" from audio sources that are just normal 2-channel stereo. It works surprisingly well on every channel on my digital cable box except KHON! There's something different about the audio signal on KHON that thoroughly confuses the surround synthesizer on my receiver.
              From this, I'd similarly guess that for whatever reason, KHON is already doing something to its signal. And the odd behavior you get is the result of a kind of re-synthesized synthesized signal, or something. Craig's report of "muted" sound might also point to some kind of filter or equalization going on in the studio... and would definitely make the "clear" signal of commercials seem that much more excessive.

Loud commercials are definitely an industry trend thats much larger than just one local station, but FWIW, in our house, we watch both KITV (at 5) and KHON (at 6), and mostly do the "scramble for the volume control" thing with the latter.

Comment

At this point I DVR everything-
                so commercials are no longer a "problem"

Amazing how much programming one can watch
                when you don't "waste time" watching commercials!

btw- given the choice- decline the offer of another phone book-
                how many different ones does one actually need?

the trees thank you-

Comment

I remember once when looking at the station log for the 8am hour of Rick Hamada's morning drive show, he actually was able to talk about something for less than 12-minutes, the rest was advertising, news, traffic or other production parts.

But in a typical talk radio hour you may get less than 40-minutes of actual programming content per hour. The other 1/3 of that hour is either network or local inventory or the allotment for a 5-minute national news capsule at the top.

One of the techniques of broadcasters is to launch a 2 or 4-minute break at 20 and 40 minutes past the hour. Listeners typically will tune out at the bottom or the corners (15 or 45 past the hour) but networks know that listeners will probably stay tuned during these "off" commercial avails and will subconsciously listen all the way thru the break.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                    I wish KHON would either bring up the audio on there regular programming or bring down the audio on their commercials.

This has been happening for as long as I can remember.

Anyone else irritated and/or annoyed with the Audio Levels on KHON?
                    Yes! Now that you mention it, you're absolutely right about that
                    drastic change in volume. Didn't realize that it happens at KHON more
                    than other stations. This could be another FCC infraction. KHON
                    had to pay a fine for breaking FCC rules with respect to not properly posting equal opportunity / jobs available and that watchdog group
                    is on their case about not having proper records available for public view,
                    other regulations that it has overlooked. They're up for their license
                    renewal fairly soon. Wouldn't it be ironic if they didn't get it, after all
                    of this brouhaha! Would serve them right.

Comment

Working...
                    X