Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a laptop

I finally decided I need a laptop!
    I am looking at the refurbished Apple Notebook computer.
    Or possibly an HP...now, now I LOVE my home HP CPU.
    So anyone have any experience with refurbished laptops?
    Are they safe or probably going to breakdown?

There is no way I can afford a new Apple!
    I thought this might be a viable option.
    Noticed the Apple computers include everything and everywhere else you end up having to build.
    EXCEPT the RAM...How hard is it to install RAM into the Apple?
    Anyways...any suggestions would be appreciated and helpful! Thanks ~Cristal
    Since when is psycho a bad thing??
    Sharing withother survivors...
    www.supportandsurvive.org

Re: Buying a laptop

check out dealmac.com for some of the refurbished stuff.
    You should go to an Apple store if there is one near you and play with the software. iLife 05 is pretty good to me. I haven't upgraded yet. Some people don't like iPhoto but it's easy enough for my mil to make slideshows for herself. iMovie is easy to use also. When you buy a Mac it's for the software as well as the design. Some of the MS stuff is getting easier to use.
    just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

How much are you willing to spend?

I picked a new Compaq V2710US from CompUSA in August for around $600 (I check the CompUSA web site and they are not selling that model anymore).

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
        How much are you willing to spend?

I picked a new Compaq V2710US from CompUSA in August for around $600 (I check the CompUSA web site and they are not selling that model anymore).
        Well, hubby says 1000.00 but I was thinking about 800.00

Comment

Originally posted by jkpescador View Post
          check out dealmac.com for some of the refurbished stuff.
          You should go to an Apple store if there is one near you and play with the software. iLife 05 is pretty good to me. I haven't upgraded yet. Some people don't like iPhoto but it's easy enough for my mil to make slideshows for herself. iMovie is easy to use also. When you buy a Mac it's for the software as well as the design. Some of the MS stuff is getting easier to use.
          I want the Mac so I have both. I only use small stuff at home and in my business anyways....but I want a more reliable PC just in case.
          BUT with a small budget Mac may not be possible.

Comment

I have 4 Mac laptops...3 iBooks and 1 Powerbook. Needless to say, I'd vote for Mac. However, it sounds like you have a continuing need for a PC. That's where the MacBook comes in and, yes, they're more expensive than a PC laptop but it's almost like getting 2 computers in one, as I understand it. So, you can continue using your Windows apps AND have the fun of a Mac. I absolutely love iMovie but haven't gotten into iPhoto much. iDVD is a kick but I haven't had much time to play with it. There are some other Mac apps that come preinstalled that are great.

Ok...ok...I'll shut up now!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
              I have 4 Mac laptops...3 iBooks and 1 Powerbook. Needless to say, I'd vote for Mac. However, it sounds like you have a continuing need for a PC. That's where the MacBook comes in and, yes, they're more expensive than a PC laptop but it's almost like getting 2 computers in one, as I understand it. So, you can continue using your Windows apps AND have the fun of a Mac. I absolutely love iMovie but haven't gotten into iPhoto much. iDVD is a kick but I haven't had much time to play with it. There are some other Mac apps that come preinstalled that are great.

Ok...ok...I'll shut up now!
              I know I use my computer for DVD's alot! So that would be cool.
              The only reason I want a laptop is because I dont' want to be tied to my bedroom and I want to be able to travel with it. And watch DVD's while the kids watch cartoons. I need to be able to check my emails and post pics on e-Bay while I am traveling. Right now I have to take discs and go to libraries. I hate it.

I dream of the MAC for diveristy!
              I am going to watch the deal website and see what I can find.
              Seems like after you add all the bells and whistles on a reg brand it ends up being close in price range.

Comment

Sounds like you need something with a good battery life and wireless networking built in.

When we bought our Mac we bought it with Apple Care and that drove up the price a lot. It is handy though.
                just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

Laptops are more fragile and if something goes wrong less easily fixed. Even a shaky keyboard can make your life miserable. For new or refurbished PC machines take a look at Newegg. I'm more inclined to buy an Asus but you can find a new Core 2 Duo HP laptop for under $900. For the price of the cheapest MacBook Pro you can get a beast of a machine elsewhere.

http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/Su...ebooks-Laptops

Originally posted by blueyecicle View Post
                  I finally decided I need a laptop!
                  I am looking at the refurbished Apple Notebook computer.
                  Or possibly an HP...now, now I LOVE my home HP CPU.
                  So anyone have any experience with refurbished laptops?
                  Are they safe or probably going to breakdown?

There is no way I can afford a new Apple!
                  I thought this might be a viable option.
                  Noticed the Apple computers include everything and everywhere else you end up having to build.
                  EXCEPT the RAM...How hard is it to install RAM into the Apple?
                  Anyways...any suggestions would be appreciated and helpful! Thanks ~Cristal

Comment

What kind of PC software do you use? You may have to buy a Mac version if its not already loaded.

Comment

Can't remember where, but I seem to remember hearing that if you buy an Apple laptop, you'd better get the Apple Care since you'll be seriously messed over if anything breaks.

All laptops are proprietary in that there are no generic laptop parts. Not like there are for Desktops. But I think what I've heard is that Apple is worse then most if you try to get parts out of warranty or Care support. Might want to at least check into that angle.

Comment

I've owned Macs for 17 years and, for the first time, bought Apple Care with my most recent Powerbook purchase, about 9 months ago. It's the first Mac I've had repaired within the first year warranty (pre-Apple Care). The hard drive died after 5 months, was replaced at no charge, they were able to retrieve everything and get it onto the new drive and I had the computer back in my hot little hands in under 24 hours.

Apple has a great 'program' called ProCare. At $99./yr., I wouldn't be without it. Tutoring, yearly tune-ups, high mucky-muck status at the Genius Bar, even iPod help. I'm on a first name basis in the Ala Moana Store 'cuz I'm always getting one-on-one tutoring in the various applications.

Comment

You could get factory refurbished MacBooks direct from Apple for $799 not too long ago. They're in high demand so you have to keep an eye on the Apple store, but they're worth it. I have a MacBook as my primary machine, and I'm a happy camper.

You are correct to think extra RAM is a good investment... I went with 2GB from OWC. It's not too hard to install yourself and is a huge deal compared to what Apple would charge you.

If you want a PC laptop, you can get a decent machine for $800. Dell, IBM, Toshiba... go for the full $1000 and you'll have too many choices.

Comment

I think I will shop some more than! I still have to figure out exactly what i need on it. I use my DVD burner on my PC so I don't really NEED one on a laptop. But I do want to watch them.
                            I use Image Zone on my PC and I hate it but it was free. So I don't NEED anything better but it would be nice.

After reading all the posts I guess I have to sit down and make a pro and con list before I even decide which brand.

I am scared of Dell because my brother had BAD problems with them.

Oh and thanks for the websites! Very useful! ALL the information was useful! Things I never even thought of!

Comment

Originally posted by blueyecicle View Post
                              I am scared of Dell because my brother had BAD problems with them.
                              The key to Dell is to buy their business machines, not the home machines. They give much better service on the business class stuff. I've only used the tech support once or twice and even got a free replacement set of CDs from them. So my experience is quite good - but then, I've always worked with the business class machines.

With the home class stuff, the costs are cut to the bone - including support.

Comment

Working...
                              X