This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's for Dinner - Chapter 3a

Spaghetti alla carbonara with tossed salad on the side. I can hear my arteries clogging up right now.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: What's for Dinner - Chapter 2

Tuna sandwich from Subway's.

Comment

6 course menu from Chef Mavro's. I think I've discovered that I really don't like high maka maka restaraunts...or maybe it's just the ones here I don't like. *shrug* Every fixed menu I've had has been mediocre at best. I think I'll stick to Anna Miller's
      What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

"Fresh" corned beef and cabbage with carrots and potatoes...over rice of course. On sale now at Foodland. $1.17 per pound for points. Gonna pick up a couple more and try smoking one to make beef bacon.

Comment

fish and chips

(aka fish sticks and french fries)
          How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

This is what we had for din-din tonite. I didn't have fresh spinach, so I used frozen, thawed in the micro and squeeze-drained. Sadly, it was not whole-leaf spinach, which I would recommend, but all we had was chopped spinach. Shoganai, ne? (No can help, yeah?)
            Still, it came out great. No leftovers.

Spinach & Feta Sausage with spinach & feta
            (created by me, ee 1/13/2007 after a Costco trip)

Several Aidell’s Spinach & Feta sausage links, sliced on the diagonal
            1 lb. (about) fresh spinach, washed and spun nearly dry
            olive oil
            2 Tbsp lemon juice (about)
            1/4 to 1/2 onion, sliced or chopped
            1 or 2 garlic cloves, minced (or more, to taste)
            salt & pepper
            crumbled feta cheese

enough hot, cooked pasta for everyone

Heat deep stockpot or really big skillet over med. to med-hi heat.
            Add oil - about once around the pan. Not too much!
            Saute sausage slices to get some color on ‘em. (Then reduce heat to med.)
            Add onion, cook until translucent
            Add spinach in bunches and stir until it is wilted down
            Sprinkle in salt and pepper
            Add garlic (add it too early and it’ll burn and turn bitter, ruining the dish)

Drizzle in lemon juice

Plate pasta and top with sausage and spinach mixture, with juices; then top with crumbled feta.
            Yum!

ee notes:
            - If sausage mixture seems dry before you toss with pasta, add a ladle full of pasta water and stir/heat it through
            - Lemon juice is added to eliminate the “fuzzy teeth” feeling often caused by fresh spinach.
            - Any number of herbs could be added, basil, oregano, herbes de provence, green onion. Add dry herbs early; fresh herbs at the end.
            - Could toss in capers at the end, or use capers as garnish.

Tomorrow - corned beef, potatoes & cabbage cooked in the Crock Pot.
            Happy St. Paddy's to all!
            I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Home-style comfort food: chopped steak with sauteed onions. Mini-chef's salad (romaine, tomatoes, ham and turkey strips, balsamic vinegar dressing), Crystal Light lemonade.

Watched the UH-CSU Northridge volleyball match on K-5. We WON!

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
                Watched the UH-CSU Northridge volleyball match on K-5. We WON!
                It's about time they won!

Oh, yes ... what's for dinner? Last night, Bertolli spinach and ricotta ravioli. I usually don't like frozen all-in-one skillet meals, but the Bertolli pastas are actually pretty good ... and ready in about 15 minutes. Just add some crusty bread and a bottle of wine.

Comment

i made kielbasa and cabbage with boiled okinawan potatoes and leftover soda bread bought from great harvest and dyed lime green for saint paddy's day. after i browned the sausages, i sauteed some red onion in the sausage grease then dropped a whole head of roughly chopped cabbage in. i used a bottle of sam adam's fezziwig ale (purchased at the now 2/3 empty grocery outlet before news of its closing) to cook down the cabbage and deglaze the pan.

simple (and perhaps not the healthiest) dish, but i'm proud of it since came out so well despite it being my first attempt. you might ask why the okinawan potatoes versus russets. the answer is cause the beau and i have chosen to give colored potatoes preferential treatment whenever possible (hyukhyuk). no, really. colored potatoes have more nutritional value than their white counterparts, and even tho we rarely eat potatoes generally, we figure, ech, we're not getting any younger. besides, eating oki potatoes celebrates one part of eric's mixed ethnic heritage.

anyway, the sweetness of the oki potatoes was rather nice against the sausage, cabbage, beer and mustard. the lime green soda bread was a visual hoot on top of being very tasty. i only wish i had known ahead of time that eric's pantry was missing caraway seed and dill, as a few recipes i saw included both.
                  Attached Files
                  superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Tonight I made some pan fried chicken and au gratin potatoes from scratch. The kids whacked the entire meal with no leftovers:

Thawed boneless chicken thighs in a skillet with some oil, add some rock salt and pepper. Cook until chicken is slightly pinkish white at the core.

Microwave peeled and sliced potatoes for 6-minutes.

Take the chicken out of the pan leaving all the drippings.

Add semi-steamed potatoes into the skillet and brown potatoes adding rosemary and parsley with the chicken drippings, salt and pepper.

Add a quarter cup of hot water.

Add half a tray of diced bacon and simmer for a few minutes until cooked.

Add cooked chicken, splash of beer and simmer until the potatoes are cooked

Serve with rice...oh was so ono and simple to make.
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                      Tonight I made some pan fried chicken and au gratin potatoes from scratch. The kids whacked the entire meal with no leftovers:

Thawed boneless chicken thighs in a skillet with some oil, add some rock salt and pepper. Cook until chicken is slightly pinkish white at the core.

Microwave peeled and sliced potatoes for 6-minutes.

Take the chicken out of the pan leaving all the drippings.

Add semi-steamed potatoes into the skillet and brown potatoes adding rosemary and parsley with the chicken drippings, salt and pepper.

Add a quarter cup of hot water.

Add half a tray of diced bacon and simmer for a few minutes until cooked.

Add cooked chicken, splash of beer and simmer until the potatoes are cooked

Serve with rice...oh was so ono and simple to make.
                      chicken, beer, bacon? omigawd, a triumvirate of some of my most favorite things in the world!!

craig, remember how you were all "fatherly" to me in another thread before? and how i scorned you? i take it back. is there any chance you wanna make "fatherly" to me the next time you make this dish???!!

*kidding*

but i will definitely try what you've described here...cept i'll use the oki potatoes. *thumbs up*

with that, i get me to bed, with jealous tummy.
                      superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Jumbo Jacks, cheese sticks and a bottle of Orange Gatorade.

Comment

Dinner at Ruby Tuesday's. Sampler and Ruby minis.

Comment

The Big Box special from KFC.

Comment

2 homemade pizzas. One with marinara, ham, pepperoni, pineapple, tomatoes, sliced olives and Italian blend cheese.

The other was an experiment. Liberally brushed the thin crust with olive oil and slathered on the crushed garlic. Spread some sliced tomatoes, olives and just a little pepperoni and covered it all with a bag of shredded mozarella. HOOTAAAH! Gotta say this one was the best homemade I've had yet. Oh, yeah, the other one was okay. I mean...it's only as good as the marinara used.

Comment

Working...
                              X