Which cellular provider do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which cellular provider do you use?

I'm currently on T-Mobile but lately have been getting dropped calls and poor coverage. Thinking about switching... Nextel maybe? Just interested in what others are using...Any thoughts? Comments?
    T-Mobile
    31.82%
    Nextel/Sprint
    9.09%
    Mobi
    9.09%
    Verizon
    31.82%
    Cingular
    18.18%
    Other
    0.00%

Re: Which cellular provider do you use?

Where?

Everywhere I go nowadays, I have atleast half of the total possible reception (on a Motorola v300 with a $10 antenna).

Of course, I'm with Tmobile also.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

I started with AT&T, which turned into Cingular. Coverage has always been good. And their outlet store's conveniently located.

Comment

I use Verizon on all of my nine active cell phones. Five phones for use on Oahu and four for use on the Big Island. Hopefully by year's end I can reduce the total to six.

In order to keep my Verizon 927-xxxx number (the one I've had since 1985) I have to keep an active line. I cannot transfer that prefix to the Big Island's 756-xxxx prefix. So I keep two phones active, so does my wife.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

craig, you've got 9 active cell phones??? wow.

anyway, as mentioned in another thread, i was like you. a t-mobile subscriber who got frustrated with the poor reception. i asked here and got some good suggestions. i eventually decided to go with cingular and i've been happy with the reception. much better than t-mobile in my humble opinion. (you should check out each provider's website to look at their coverage area to make sure that they cover the places you usually call.)
          525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
            I use Verizon on all of my nine active cell phones.

uh... int that jezz a weeee bit excessive?
            9 phones?
            and yer still married?

Comment

I'm guessing some of Craig's phones are for his kids to use. He's got a bunch, you know.

Comment

Very happy with Sprint. Three phones on one plan, "Vision" goodies on two of them (the third only has an old-school LCD), free PCS-to-PCS (which is, of course, 90 percent of the calling done). Of course, the fact that they were the first provider with the Treo 650 probably had something to do with my continued patronage...

Comment

Okay here's the breakdown on my nine phones:

2) for me: Oahu phone number and a Big Island Phone number
                  2) for my wife: Same reason
                  2) for my 18-year old making the Big Island transition so he has two phones
                  1) for my 21-year old still living on Oahu
                  1) for my 16-year old living on the Big Island
                  1) for my elderly mom so she can drive me crazy when she forgets to put the
                  keyguard on and calls me whenever she goes thru her purse.

By November of this year, I can drop my wife's Oahu phone and by December I can drop my 18-year old's Oahu phone number. I'm keeping my Oahu phone number simply because it's the one phone number I've had consistantly for 20-years now and since then my friends and contacts have dispersed all over the globe, some with no way of contacting but they have my cell number.

I'm actually thinking of switching my Oahu Verizon number over to Cingular so I can get those roll over minutes. One thing about Verizon is their crappy phones they offer. I think Sprint offers some of the best looking phones however their coverage is one of the worst that I've seen for the areas I frequent.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

i used to be on t-mobile den my signal in my apt and phone came junk.
                    now i on verizon and da same ting.

b4 verizon and t-mobile good.

my wife's cingular phone still get choke signal bars!!

wen my contract anniversary comes up dis coming sept 05, i leavin verizon!
                    Reggie aka pinakboy
                    Reggie's Kaukau Time! blog
                    Raw Eats Veggie Videos
                    Recipe Tube TV!
                    Deep Fried Recipes TV!

checkem out!!

Comment

What cell phone service do you have?

I couldnt find an existing one.

Just wondering, we had to switch from tmobile, which I was very comfortable with to nextel because of the base we live on up here in Washington, we recieve 0 zero service. Now that were coming back home, I want to choose to something different since I will be getting a cell phone also. I like TMobile but also thinking of Cingular.. Maybe Mobi? Input please?

Comment

Personally, I'd like to go with someone who will allow fall back to another carrier in the home area. That way you're not stuck when their network happens to die in the area you're in. Verizon used to allow roaming onto Sprint. I think nationally they still do, but they took out the local Sprint from the PRL. (I'll have to check and see if that's still the case.)

On the other hand, I've seen a recent Sprint phone roam onto Verizon, so I think Sprint may be a better bet from that point of view.

Comment

I got Hawaiian Telecom, it uses both Sprint and Verizon, so I have redundant coverage.
                          Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

don't forget, your actual model of phone can greatly affect your reception as well. i've been with sprint for at least 5 years if not more and i've had a sanyo, samsung, nokia and now a treo 650. the nokia was the worst of all of them (but i don't remember the exact model and i know there are good nokias out there, which emphasizes my point). i've always been happy with sprint as long as i don't have to deal with their customer service (although they've gotten a bit better). i usually have to deal with the cs crap whenever my contract expires and i try to get an updated, better deal or adding a phone to my contract, etc. then usually, for a few months my billing gets screwed up and there are errors and it's confusing figuring out which credits are ongoing or onetime, yadda yadda yada. so far, my treo has had the best reception, but that may be also b/c i now have free roaming included and i don't pay attention to when i'm roaming and when i'm not. but even before that, i was pretty happy w/their reception--of course i didn't have much on the north shore, but i rarely go there, and there was a dead spot by punchbowl and i think one downtown somewhere.

i have a pretty good deal--i think it's like $61/mo, we have 2 lines with treo 650's (we love em) with unlimited vision access, 100 text messages/mo, free long distance, free roaming, free nationwide and nights/weekends starting at 7pm, 800 anytime minutes and free pcs-pcs. i'm so happy w/what we have now, hopefully, i won't have to touch our plan for a few extra years (depends on how long the treos hold out) so i don't have to deal with their cs.

Comment

I have T Mo and have never had any problems. Use it here in town and when I go to Hilo each month. I have a Treo phone.
                              n'importe

Comment

Working...
                              X