X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Target coming to Hawai'i?

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
    Lynn:
    You maybe don't know this, but Jack-in-the-Box is not a national chain. States in the east, for example, don't have them. So I don't think this was that dumb a question.
    My Bad. I humbly APOLOGIZE!!!

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Lynn:
      You maybe don't know this, but Jack-in-the-Box is not a national chain. States in the east, for example, don't have them. So I don't think this was that dumb a question.
      Geez...I didn't know that and I've worked on national JitB commercials! With the amount of high end advertising they do it never occurred to me that it wasn't a national chain. I learn something new every day!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
        Geez...I didn't know that and I've worked on national JitB commercials! With the amount of high end advertising they do it never occurred to me that it wasn't a national chain. I learn something new every day!
        Or do they go by another name out East? For instance, I know Burger King goes by Hungry Jacks in Australia.

Comment

from wikipedia:
          In total, the chain has 2,062 locations in 17 U.S. states, mostly in the western half of the country. Most of the outlets are in California (892), followed by Texas (547), Arizona (157), and Washington (129). The company also operates the Qdoba Mexican Grill chain and the Quick Stuff convenience store chain.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Lynn:
            Well they certainly USED to have them.

One of my fondest memories is when I was eighteen years old and the proud possessor of a brand new driver's license.

Woohoooo---we can use the drive-thru!

With me in the driver's seat and a few friends in the car we headed for the Jack-In-The-Box in Hempstead, NY. Of course we were giggling away as we yelled our orders into the giant Jack head. As I drove away from the head I heard the head yell "can you repeat that?"

So I backed up. Crookedly. Just how crookedly I had backed up became painfully apparent after I finished repeating the order and drove forward.

As I went forth my rear bumper latched on to Jack's metal sheathing "skirt" and proceeded to partially denude his lower half. OMG.

Silence and wide eyes, then desperate attempts to muffle hysterical laughter.

Paid for the order and drove away. Okay, it was wrong. But thinking about it still makes me laugh, decades later.

No, there are no more Jack-In-The-Box restaurants in NY. So every year my daughter and son-in-law back in NY request Holiday Balls from Jack's. A holiday tradition. I send them along with their CARE package full of wasabi macadamia nuts, Kona coffee, and other good stuff.
            Last edited by WindwardOahuRN; February 3, 2007, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Ever since those e.coli outbreaks at Jack in the Box and Wendy's, I've never gone back. I'm sure their food is much safer now, but I don't go to fastfood places very often anymore (haven't been to McD's in nearly a year, and I just recently saw "FastFood Nation" which really turned me off to fastfood in general.)

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I vote Ikea! Haha because I love the little cafeteria they have! And I've always enjoyed their furniture! :P

Comment

Originally posted by suzums View Post
                  I vote Ikea! Haha because I love the little cafeteria they have! And I've always enjoyed their furniture! :P
                  Oh and the Swedish drink/juice they have, Ligonberry. My friend and I drank so much of that the first time we were there, we had to use the restroom bad. It's now our codeword for #1.

Also gotta love their marketing tactics, you're pretty much forced to walk through the entire store in one direction so you see all their merchandise. Although if you go there enough times, you can figure out the little side trapdoors they have so you don't have to peruse the whole store.

Comment

Whenevea I go to IKEA either its East Palo Alto or Emeryville

SWEDISH MEATBALLS! They are must have when there

Comment

Some interesting information pertaining to Target's arrival to Hawaii in this
                      article
                      Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                      The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by DannyWilliams View Post
                        Whenevea I go to IKEA either its East Palo Alto or Emeryville

SWEDISH MEATBALLS! They are must have when there
                        I remember before the East Palo Alto store opened. Man, the Emeryville store on weekends was a nightmare, even the freeways were backed up from it.

Comment

from wikipedia:
                          We had jack in the Box growing up on Long Island, but they were really riddled with health issues, and eventually they changed the name to just "Jacks". I doubt there are any left there. Here in SoCal they're everywhere.

Like you said tho...definintely not a national chain.
                          http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                          Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                          Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                            [...]For instance, I know Burger King goes by Hungry Jacks in Australia.
                            Now, that's something else I didn't know...and I'm currently working on a Burger King commercial...and my assistant is from Australia!

Comment

1. ABSOLUTELY target should be here...and they should kick kmart and walmart out while they're at it. then you wouldn't have to complain as much about too many mainland chains. i'm unclear from skimming this thread, are they or are they not coming? i've been hearing the rumor that they are for years now--i'll believe it when i see it.
                              2. it drives me absolutely NUTS when they run target, olive garden, etc. ads on tv here...cruel and unusual punishment!
                              3. i used to be on of those b&bw fiends too. then when they finally started selling online, i thought it'd satisfy my craving. instead, i found my craving diminished. i guess i was more interested b/c of a perceived unattainability than an actual desire for the products.
                              4. about trader joe's. i would LOVE a tj's but i was assured by their HQ that it was pretty much never ever gonna happen. i heard a rumor from a friend a couple years ago that they were gonna open one in hawaii kai. i immediately called their HQ to ask and the guy i spoke to started chuckling and said if he had a nickel for everytime someone asked him about a rumor they were opening one in hawaii, he'd be rich. he said there's just no way they could maintain the quality and prices they're known for b/c it's too expensive and difficult to ship their products here (let alone the issue of expensive land and rent). he even asked where specifically i heard they were opening one b/c he had friends here and when i said hawaii kai, he burst out laughing and said, yeah, we'd NEVER be able to afford opening there. he said he's heard rumors of them opening in all kinds of outrageous places--there was even one person who called from the netherlands b/c they had heard tj's was opening there! so sad...

but if target came, i'd be sooooooooooooooooo happy! walmart is the devil and i hate that i feel like i'm selling my soul everytime i shop there.

Comment

We now know where the first Target Store in Hawai'i WON'T be:

The nation's second-largest discount retailer did not complete a deal to buy the 20-acre site of the proposed Laulani Village retail and office complex along Fort Weaver Road in Ewa Beach.
                                Miulang
                                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X