Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• good shepherd lutheran preschool

aloha,
    does anybody know anything or has anybody heard anything about this preschool on kuakini in nuuanu? thanks!

Re: good shepherd lutheran preschool

They recently dropped the "Lutheran" from their name, 'though I'm quite sure it's still a Lutheran church and school. I taught at a high school in the area, so I can give you a little perspective: The people I've met who either worked there or went to school there were all very nice. Niceness, when it comes to preschools, cannot be overrated, if you ask me. Affective and social development are more important than anything (besides safety) at that age, and the evidence, at least the way I see it, points to positives in both those areas. However, I am not a parent; I'm merely a high-school teacher. A parent may have a completely different take.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Yeah, I heard of Good Shepherd Lutheran preschool because I tried to apply there as a preschool teacher but I didn't get hired. It is located in a easy area because it is by The famous Liliha Bakery.
      Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Comment

thanks all. here's my two cents in case anybody else in the future wants to know too. i toured it this week...i really really liked it. it had a different feel from all the other preschools i visited. very relaxed, nurturing, and as the first poster said, nice. it's definitely a thoroughly christian environment, so if you're not comfortable with that, i'd say it wouldn't be for you. but i didn't get the sense that it was a pushy christian environment, if you know what i mean. unlike some other preschools, i felt like they cared more about the kids than my money--they didn't even ask for an application fee! the facilities are newer as the church underwent a major renovation less than a decade ago. they're naeyc accredited, so i think all their lead teachers except one have their b.a. in early education or something related. the curriculum they use is a brand called "creative curriculum" and seems to cover the bases and is developmentally appropriate. they do introduce the kids to computers, 30 mins a week, which isn't my preference, but i can live with. more importantly, they don't rely on worksheets and push academics, although they gradually introduce letter and number recognition, etc.

my daughter (almost 3 yrs) was on the tour with me and was completely fascinated by her age's class--she wanted to stay and watch the volcanoes they were making and they even let her have snack with the class while i finished the tour. she didn't want to leave, which i took as high praise. unfortunately, we just found out about them and they're full for next year.

Comment

Working...
        X