No announcement yet.

Guitars allowed in cabin of Aircraft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Guitars allowed in cabin of Aircraft?

Originally posted by Kungpao View Post
    Oh yes, Surprisingly, I was able to get it repaired at the cost of the airline.
    I suppose that's a Kudos to them for actually admitting fault. Didn't make it any easier on my feelings for them destroying it in the first place.
    yea, that sucks that baggage handlers can't respect people's property. Now, Imagine your Washburn was a 59' Strat, worth tens of thousands. And that is not to disrespect your Washburn, but a rare vintage guitar completely loses it value when something like a headstock snaps off.... I'd be knockin heads around at that point.

Once again, no disrespect to your Washburn, your baby is your baby, and having someone else's ineptitude ruin it is inexcuseable.
    http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
    Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
    Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
      yea, that sucks that baggage handlers can't respect people's property. Now, Imagine your Washburn was a 59' Strat, worth tens of thousands. And that is not to disrespect your Washburn, but a rare vintage guitar completely loses it value when something like a headstock snaps off.... I'd be knockin heads around at that point.

Once again, no disrespect to your Washburn, your baby is your baby, and having someone else's ineptitude ruin it is inexcuseable.
      Oh understood completely! I think definitely that If I had the money to own that guitar, I'd pay to have it onboard with me. That is if I wasn't flying privately already lol.
      -kp!

Comment

An original '57 Strat could command $50K+. I'd buy a plane seat for it!

Comment

Big Mahalos to everyone who responded...my questions got answered..and I also got great advice from everyone, too. Soo...we've decided to put the acoustic guitar in its hardshell case, strings loosened, lots of bubble wrap/packing peanuts, into a cardboard box, let it go through the baggage and pray that nothing bad happens to it. I definately know now, from all your answers, that there is a less than 1% chance that we get to bring it on board.

BTW Lei Liko- I like your avatar of Ugly Betty! I saw that novella in Spanish a few years ago...It was so popular amongs Latinos they made an animated version of the show... All us women, even the men go through that awkward stage. Hell...I still feel like I'm going through it... ...maybe it'll magically dissapear by the time I'm 30.....6 more years to go! Oh Well!

Sorry to all for drifiting off like that.........I'm back now!

Comment

Hi everybody

Anyways, we ended up checking both the electric and acoustic guitar both in hard cases in a heavily padded outer cardboard box. We also packed two small guitar amps which arrived safely through baggage. Our flight was delayed five hours, so the nice lady who checked us in waived all the excess baggage/oversize fees. When we got on board, we saw two others who were able to bring their guitars (in a hardcase) on board with them and stow them in the overhead compartment. In this airplane, ATA to Oakland the Overhead compartment bins are almost double the size legnthwise- in a normal plane, even though the aircraft was smaller than the other carriers. All in all, even with the delay everything arrived safely and intact. I will definately fly ATA again. We also had to ship some heavy music equiptment using USPS. Thir limit was 70 pounds. Using parcel post, the total came to less tham $50 per 70 pounds. Only thing it will take 3-5 weeks to get here. But for that price....
            Everythings been great so far....Even bad situations turn into opportunities.
            I accidentally locked our keys in the car in a shopping center in Kailua last night and me and my husband didn't know what to do. Anyways, seeing us struggling, some strangers came and helped us out and we made some new friends with them and we also got home safely. It's true that God always looks out for you....We felt so fortunate...Okay thats it for now....Everyone have a nice weekend.

Comment

Working...
            X