Big City Diner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big City Diner

We are going there for dinner tomorrow. Any suggestions what I should order? What's your favorite dish there and why?
    just started: mililaniblog.com

Re: Big City Diner

If you are into burgers there are 4 or 5 different ones for around $9 that includes fries.

Comment

have some of their cooked food. and some of their beer.

Comment

Originally posted by jkpescador
        We are going there for dinner tomorrow. Any suggestions what I should order? What's your favorite dish there and why?

the calamari appetizer. and if you like kim chee then their fried rice kim chee is good. other than that i thought it was a bit overrated.

Comment

I do also. And I haven't enjoyed what I ate there. So I figure some people must go there over and over and probably eat the some of the better dishes there. We are going to the Waipio one. I would much rather eat at Nancy's Kitchen in Waipio.

Comment

My boyfriend likes their Kimchee burger a lot, washed down with a beer. I like their non-meat veggie sandwich or their mushroom sandwich...I tried the fish sandwich once but thought it wasn't that great.

Comment

Their "Realy Loco, Loco Moco" is one of the best I've tasted. Reminds of the grilled burger and deep-flavored gravy that was served way-back-when at Country Kitchen Kitchen in Kaa`awa when I lived out there.

How's their consistency throughout their locations though? I only tried the Ward location (adjacent to the theatre complex and Wolfgang Puck Express). Their orginal location is on Waialae Ave (Kaimuki). Also open in Kailua and Waipio.

I have the impression BCD is a hybrid of Zippy's-meets-Denny's. A sort of "localized" diner. Love that!
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

The meatloaf is pretty good. The Waipio location is somewhat better than either the Kailua or Waialae (never tried Ward) as far as the food goes. It's been a few months since I've been so it may have changed. Avoid the salads. As many have mentioned, the kimchee fried rice, burgers and loco moco are all good.

I like Nancy's too. Why aren't you going there?

Comment

Ate there with the in-laws last night. My sister chose BCD. I hate the chicken cutlet with gravy; their gravy is good. Two weeks ago I had the ox-tail soup. That was good.

Comment

I tend to go to the one at Ward, usually after a movie. Usually I have a burger but it's been a long while since I had anything else there.

Comment

I'm glad they're expanding cuz the wait to get in was intolerable especially when you could smell the food and see people eating while you waited outside.

I went there for breakfast (Waialae Avenue location) and one of my friend's ordered this dish that astounded me! It was huge, what was that item?
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

As a follow up, I ate the big burger which was ok. I think I enjoyed my chipotle blue cheese hamburger at Chili's more. It was big. Half the people in there were eating the burgers so I figure I had to try it. Maybe a quarter of the people were eating the ribs which I probably should have tried. I don't care for their kim chee fried rice because it's usually kinda wet and soggy.

Comment

I had the big burger, which was kind of good. And I had water.

Comment

We go there now and then, but usually our criteria is "accommodations for families" rather than "top notch food." We used to go to the Waialae one a lot, but now visit the Waipio location, but never noticed any significant swings in quality. I have heard good things about their kim-chee fried rice and meatloaf... but probably the thing I enjoy most is their edamame appetizer, and against all reason, their kalua pig sandwich.

Comment

Go to the strip mall and eat at Nancy's Kitchen instead. Saimin, burgers, ox-tail soup. sizzling steak, the best brown gravy with chicken cutlet, Hawaiian plate ... it's better and maybe a bit cheaper depending on what you order. It amazes me when those old tiny Japanese ladies can finish off a big plate. It's a diner like Columbia Inn or Flamingo's but I think the food is much better.

Give it a try!

Comment

Working...
                              X