Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Olden days-Just for fun

Originally posted by cezanne View Post
    Not worrying about leaving the house unlocked.

OMG , seriously. I think ONLY a small percentages of people still do that too . I was suprised.
    Aches & Pains
    (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

Crystal Pepsi! I know I'm probably the only person in the whole world who thought it was cool, and I don't even really like Pepsi, but there was something so awesome about drinking clear liquid and having it taste like Pepsi. (I was 10...give me a break!)

Yay- I'm a Luna!
      Last edited by surlygirly; December 29, 2008, 09:01 AM. Reason: Luna Power!

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
        Crystal Pepsi! I know I'm probably the only person in the whole world who thought it was cool, and I don't even really like Pepsi, but there was something so awesome about drinking clear liquid and having it taste like Pepsi. (I was 10...give me a break!)

Yay- I'm a Luna!

Awwww .

I liked those clear drinks, too [then] .

You know...

I'm not sure..

but I think, maybe walmart (or Kmart) might have something similar to that. A couple of years ago, I had a clear strawberry soda in a plasitc bottle. It was pretty good.

Wont hurt to look & ask if Walmart might have something like that. They may have it under room temperature sodas in one of the iles.

I'm not sure if they still have it or not. Wont hurt to check it out .

should call them first (to make sure) just to save gas. :-)

Aloha. :-)
        Aches & Pains

Comment

Jingle Jump.

Being able to hula hoop.

Wax covered dill pickle for a nickel from Marigold Market.

Legal aerial fireworks, basically skyrockets and roman candles. Also, Duck brand firecrackers that could blow your fingernail off. Not this anemic stuff nowdays.

Red dirt stained bibadeez.

"Surfah shots" made with 4 different colored pieces.

The smell at Honolulu Harbor waterfront. A mixture of diesel fuel/crude oil and pineapples. Also the rumble the car made when we drove over the train tracks.

Summer jobs picking pineapple. Yeah, I actually miss it.

Being able to drive all the way around Kaena Point in our 59 Ford station wagon.

Driving to Kailua via the Old Pali Road.

Fishing for papio and moi where Turtle Bay Resort is. Having to get up at 4am, eat Frosted Flakes, pile into Unko's truck and laying down in the bed to look at the stars while we drove to Kahuku, then having to use a key to unlock the chain to get onto the property. Pork and Beans and vienna sausage sammiches for lunch.

Sneaking into East Range down by Wahiawa Middle School to go swimming off the bridge then having to hide from the MP's. More than once, we had to tie our clothes to a stick and back stroke to the other side of the river to get home.

Eating dinner at Sunnyside at the old Wahiawa bus station.

Yamada's down in Wailua near the old theater.

$.35 Saturday matinees at Wahiawa Theater.

Romping through all the gulches in Wahiawa trying to avoid the Green Lady while hunting for.....Da Rolling Eye, of course.

Comment

Days surfing with my dad at Doheny Beach and San Onofre. Even school days!

And, getting to cut elementary school to go to work with him when he was working with fun people like Superman and Jimmy!

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
              They still have these on the mainland. They are a staple of my diet!
              I love those things! But we are having a very hard time finding them here in LA. My hubby would always get them for my stocking on Christmas, and he could not find them anywhere this year. He had to buy a box at Albertson's and divvie them up into sandwich bags. Not the same, but I love his sentiment! All we can usually find are the bags that are resealable. They are so good with a cup of coffee!

More memories...and, by the way, I love reading all of these...I know, I know, "old people", but we're all going in the same direction, so if you aren't one now, you will be!

The smell of the cellophane "grass" in our Easter baskets...
              Riding in the car with all the windows down because no one had A/C...
              Climbing the tree in the front yard and then spying on the people across the street in their backyard (nothing interesting--it was fun just because!)...
              "Cappy the Crow" in our 2nd grade arithmetic workbook (that's a weird one)...
              I'll echo the one about mimeograph ink...ahh, YES!...
              Blowing out the matches when my parents lit their cigarettes; we knew nothing of the ills of smoking then!...
              The "hissssss" when my Dad took the charcoal out of the BBQ and put it in water, so he could use it again the next weekend after it dried out (we were poor...)...
              Incinerators in the back yard, and burning trash in them...
              My record player from when I was very young, and different-colored kiddy records...mostly 78s in the 50s!...
              Leaning up against my sister's bedroom door so I could listen to her talk on the phone...6 years between us made for some jr. high-type conversations, terribly intriguing to a 7-year-old...we had no cell phones of course; hey, we only had one phone in the whole house, and she would drag it into her room and shut the door as much as she could with the cord in the way...and I'd sit there listening!! HA...
              More to come...

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                Everywhere I look........

I see old people.
                Tim, you win the "M.O.T.O. Award" with that comment.

What, may I ask, do you expect in a thread with this particular title?

Now, siddown with your nuk-nuk and respect your elders, child. Sheesh!

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                  Everywhere I look........

I see old people.
                  Those are the people you see at a Republican Convention. Except for the 2nd or 3rd wife, who is half her husband's age.

Comment

More olden days stuff...
                    • Console TV and stereos - they were sold like furniture
                    • Playtape - a 4 track cartridge format sold mostly through Sears, mid 1960s
                    • Sears catalog
                    • Sears Christmas Catalog
                    • Toy Guns - Toy Machine Guns - do they still sell them today?
                    • Lincoln Logs
                    • Candy Land board game
                    • Revell, Monogram, AMT, MPC, plastic model kits
                    • Blowing up plastic models with firecrackers
                    • Play Dough
                    • Black & White only TV - no color
                    • No internet
                    • Computer BBS systems
                    • 300, 1200, 2400, 9600, baud dial up modems
                    • Command line
                    • DOS
                    • Laser Discs (I never bought into these)
                    • Look magazine
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

How about the 8oz beer can!! My auntie was a major enthusiast.
                      Don't be mean,
                      try to help.

Comment

Teddy Ruxpin?!
                        ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Zima? Did anyone acquired that taste?

Comment

Originally posted by Serenity View Post
                            What do you miss long ago? &/or wish for it to come back?
                            Do you know what I really miss?? & wish they could bring it back??

It's the McDLT: The bottom burger bread with the hot broiled burger on one saide, & the mayo/kecthup (or what ever), lettuce, & sliced tomato on top of the cold top burger bread on the other. You get it like that when you order it, & when you are ready to eat it, you slap the two sides together, & the vegetables are still fresh & crunchy with the sandwich as you take a bite off of it.

Another thing, I miss, is the store downstairs (which is no longer there) from discoverybay, somekind of 711, where you get a hotdog & a big gulp for a cetain small price ( for a couple of bucks, I think). I think the big gulp, you can have mixture of sodas, & I think it had a refill to go along with it.

Dang those good old days. Some things can never be brought back .

Oh well. Such is a life.
                            Aches & Pains

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                              Zima? Did anyone acquired that taste?

OMG !!, yeah!! I really liked it!!. I dont think I drank enough of it to get drunk, but I think I got a slight buzz off of it .

How long was it popular?? & was it even popular at all??

I found that out when I was living in Kansas with my first husband (long ago).

My friends had a swig off of it, & didn't even like it :-( .

I know I did.

Do they still sell it? I wonder.

Hm...
                              Aches & Pains

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                                Teddy Ruxpin?!
                                I totally missed that one growing up .

Was it popular?? Did the company make tons of money?

I only heard very little off of it, sorry.
                                Aches & Pains

Comment

Working...
                                X