A Cautionary Tale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A Cautionary Tale

I was on vacation in Mammoth, CA in winter when a blizzard came through.

I spent better part of an hour videotaping people dealing with it. Shoveling their porches, etc. And there were a few snowplows that came through to clear the streets.

Imagine having to shovel a car out from under a pile of snow every morning just to go to work! That's after you manage to FIND your car, of course. I thought to myself: At least in Hawaii we don't have to shovel rain.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
      I love sand in my car. Sand in my shorts, shoes, hair, crack, .... I even love it when I pay for beer with a sandy, wet $10 bill, that was in the velcro pocket of my trunks. And I love to be buried in the sand by my daughter and her friends.

I love being hot. In the snow, you have about 3 hours to figure out life. In the heat, you got 3 days before it gets real uncomfortable.

Tako Poke, Korean Style.....Ahi sashimi with mad hot wasabi.....char siu manapua, with a Nestle Quick......Long Rice, Lomi Salmon, Lau Lau, Smoke Meat, Smoke Fish, Huli Chicken, 2 scoop rice, 2 scoop potatomac, Li Hing Mui Margaritas, and a partridge in a pear tree.

And now for the ocean. I betcha the girl don't swim, surf, sail, scuba dive, fish, or enjoy the ocean. And that's why many of us are here.
      a cautionary tale continued: tim, you've settled nicely into local kine grindz, but 2 scoops mac salad? also, careful out there today at the beach--looks like the winter swells are starting already. not for beginners!
      "chaos reigns within.
      reflect, repent and reboot.
      order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
        Imagine having to shovel a car out from under a pile of snow every morning just to go to work! That's after you manage to FIND your car, of course. I thought to myself: At least in Hawaii we don't have to shovel rain.
        Pfffffftttt... don't forget the frozen door locks, scraping the ice/frost off the windows, and realizing that your battery really wasn't ready to go through another night of sub-zero weather.

Then it's time to hit the icy roads with the other slick drivers!
        Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
        Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
        We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
        Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

I remember nights when it'd get down to 40 below zero. Gettin' up every couple of hours to make sure the pot-bellied stove was full tilt. The metal on the sides near the hottest part of the fire would glow orange. You think to yourself "This is all that's keeping me from being a popsicle". The logs in the cabin would have little pockets of moisture locked inside them. Every now and the little bit of water inside a log would expand to the point where the wood finally had to give a little and there'd be a sharp popping/cracking sound. It can be a little eerie. Kind of exciting too. But believe me, it's an excitement I can live without.

One winter I was out at a freind's ranch first thing in the morning. One of the barn cats was sittin' like a Sphynx, frozen solid as a rock. In high school, one of my buddies played the drums and got a job on weekends playing in bars with this hillbilly band. They were travelling to another town on a blistering cold night. I guess they were cruisin' along in the old cadillac and there was a big jack-rabbit in the middle of the road. The guy driving figured he'd hit it. Well, you guessed it. It was frozen. When they went over the top it puntured a hole in the gas tank. They sweated it out wondering if they'd get to town before running out of gas. Poetic justice.

No like be cold.

Comment

11 more days....

See, I know there will be things I won't like or won't be accustomed to, but I can write letters home to my best friend and she can laugh at me from a safe 4000 miles away. And that's why I call my other bored friend at work now while I'm still on the mainland and we try to come up with all the things that could go wrong- like a turtle could nest in my bed while I'm at work or a huge pelican could swoop in and carry off my beach bag. Or I could get kidnapped by a gang of local surfers and be force-fed Spam. Or an incoming ship could miss Pearl Harbor and crash into my house.

Fall weather has not kicked in yet (grrr), so I set the AC here to 65 and am wearing my favorite sweaters and boots around the house before I have to kiss them good-bye.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

isn't that always case - here on vacation for a 2 weeks - you tell yourself - hawaii is beautiful etc. etc - you decide to completely move your entire life to hawaii - end up hating it for the reasons known to yourself only - yet you pin the blame on hawaii and the locals for a mistake you unconsciously made by moving to hawaii

sounded like she was more of an indoor girl than outdoor kinda girl - or just a big baby

thanks for doing us a favor turtlegirl by taking her to the airport - i would have made her take the bus as a last farewell to hawaii
              stay forever young

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
                a huge pelican could swoop in and carry off my beach bag.
                Let me set your mind at ease, Hawaii doesn't have pelicans.

Comment

Hey, I know of someone born and raised here with the same attitude, not about Hawaii in particular, but life in general - 'tisn't the place it's the person. Always ask favor, never give; the brunt of eternal calamity and misery; a real Eeyore. Her only consolation is her circle of friends (who avoid her like the plague, but hey, what can you do when you work together other than suck up, do what's necessary and refuse to be driven from your own path to enlightenment?). After all, it's that tolerance and accommodation that makes this place what it is.
                  May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

looks like the winter swells are starting already

Thank God, cuz the summer south was slow this year.

(In a Homer Simpson drool)

"Waaaaves, mmmmmmmm"
                    FutureNewsNetwork.com
                    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

What? She never complained about the cockaroaches?
                      http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                      http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

What an awful girl she was!! My buddy and I have had to have 2 "decompression sessions" since she left, just to vent about how horrible and mean she was, to us and to everyone around her! I'm so grateful she's gone!!

Turns out she had a ton of especially vicious things to say to my buddy on the day she left. Like how she's 'disappointed in him' and she 'will never come to Hawaii ever again' and she 'gave up so much to move here, and now has nothing". She had nothing nice to say whatsoever, and even said some nasty things about my buddy's landlady, who had also gone out of her way to make this evil girl more comfortable.

Plus, she totally badmouthed me and my boyfriend to such an extreme degree that if I had heard about this before I picked her up to go to the airport, I likely would have driven by just to run over her luggage with my car.

Good riddance, bad rubbish, etc. But I still have the scrapes and bruises from taking her kayaking, which she complained bitterly about! She also didn't do her share of the paddling, and caused me to get run over by our kayak in the surf because she was just pretending to steady the kayak so that I could get on it! Similarly, she was just pretending to paddle the whole way, and even more annoying, as soon as we got to Flat Island she wanted to leave because it 'smells like birds'! well, duh!! Its a bird nesting sanctuary!!!

Aaackkk!! I'm so relieved to never have to put up with her again!
                        ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

As I'm sure you're aware, TG, 'complainer's' abominable attitude had absolutely nothing to do with you, your friend, sven, the landlady or the boss. How horrible it must be to live in her skin.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                            As I'm sure you're aware, TG, 'complainer's' abominable attitude had absolutely nothing to do with you, your friend, sven, the landlady or the boss.
                            That's right TG! You just happened to come across someone weened on a dill pickle.

Comment

Originally posted by Peshkwe View Post
                              That's right TG! You just happened to come across someone weened on a dill pickle.
                              Ok...post of the day so far! Bwahahahahaha...

Comment

This begs the question as to how this lady initially hooked up with your buddy?

Also was going kayaking her idea or yours?

Comment

Working...
                                X