Paddle boats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paddle boats

While exiting Sam's Club today I noticed they were selling a few paddle boats for around $600. They can seat 4 people in the boat, the 2 people in the front of the boat provide the pedal power and controling the steering.

I don't think this boat can handle the open ocean so besides the Ala Wai Canal and Lake Wilson where on Oahu could one use such a boat?

Re: Paddle boats

Originally posted by helen View Post
    While exiting Sam's Club today I noticed they were selling a few paddle boats for around $600. They can seat 4 people in the boat, the 2 people in the front of the boat provide the pedal power and controling the steering.

I don't think this boat can handle the open ocean so besides the Ala Wai Canal and Lake Wilson where on Oahu could one use such a boat?
    Keehi Lagoon? Kaneohe Bay?

Comment

I'm not a boater or water person of any type, but I would also think the Hawaii Kai Marina and Maunalua Bay or anywhere else where the water is flat would do.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Helen, is there a photo of the boat on the Sam's Club website? Without seeing the boat, it's kinda hard to answer your question, but the answers so far are exactly what I would've said. I'll add the leeward coast, which quite often is very very flat. And if the boat is like a car-topper or easy to transport, just wait for a calm day and go anywhere!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

The sign for it said it was a seasonable item, they had at least 5 units. If I had to guess I think the hull was about 8 feet wide, about 12 feet long, and some where between 1 to 2 feet high.

The paddles themselves wasn't very big, it was forward center of the boat.

Comment

Do they look anything like these paddle boats on Stow Lake in Golden Gate Park? If so, I wouldn't count them as very sea worthy. Definitely for calm waters and the paddles don't give a whole lot of thrust. I've rode those boats way too many times.

Comment

When going out on any kind of human-powered watercraft, be aware that the wind might be able to move you faster than you can paddle or peddle.

It's not too bad on the windward side since the prevailing trades will push you toward shore.

But on other parts of the island, you could be headed out to sea and unable to do anything about it.

That said, there's a rule in place now where any watercraft more than a mile offshore needs to carry a VHF marine radio. Cell phones don't count but can't hurt.

And always wear a personal floatation device. It may sound geeky but it doesn't take much to end up in the water with your boat or kayak out of reach and moving faster in the breeze than you can swim.

For my own personal safety since I'm on boats a fair amount, I wear an inflatable belt-mounted PFD along with a personal locator beacon. In case I go overboard unnoticed, the PLB will send a distress signal via satellite, along with a GPS location. It'll alert search-and-rescue of who is missing (you register them after you buy one) and precisely where I am. Rescue can be as little as an hour away.

Comment

Got a photo of the paddle boat.
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X