Human Cloning - Not Just Science Fiction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Human Cloning - Not Just Science Fiction

It was announced today that the first human embryo clone was produced. They allowed it to live for 10 days before destroying it. If it had been implanted into a womb, it would have become a full fledged clone. This was financed by private funds. This was a hot topic when federal funds were involved, where morality became the reasoning. But what about now? How does this sit with you? Personally, I'm surprised it took this long. I wouldn't be surprised if more private work has been done. My own thoughts on this are same as with any scientific advance. It can be used for good or bad. In many ways it is up to the media as to how it is perceived. I wouldn't want the good that can come out of this to be over shadowed by the possible bad that could happen. So much of this has been touched upon in sci-fi from the creation of super soldiers to breeding a human farm of replacement parts that I fear the reality of what could be will be lost.

Re: Human Cloning - Not Just Science Fiction

The problem isn't with the fact that you have a genetically identical copy of yourself. There are millions of people in the world today who have genetically identical copies of themselves -- they're called identical twins. Your clone is just like your identical twin, except that you and your clone are probably not the same age. You know how people exclaim over some parent-child pairs, saying that the kid is the spit and image of the parent? In this case they'd be entirely right. It doesn't mean that the cloned kid isn't a unique person. Identical twins aren't any less human for being twins. Clones are at least as different from each other as twins are, actually more so if they're not raised at the same time and in the same household.

The real problem is that the techniques currently used to make clones aren't all that good. So you have to grow a bunch of embryos, not just one, because not all of them will successfully develop into babies. That's the same problem that you have with infertility treatments like in vitro fertilization. And I don't know for certain, but I have heard that in other cloned mammals, like cows and sheep, some of the baby clones don't survive to adulthood because of developmental defects too. That may be OK with cows, but who wants to intentionally make a defective human baby? That would be cruel.

Comment

cloned babies...hmmm I kinda like doing it the old fashioned way, it's more fun Ho man kids these days, gotta do it differently. Pretty soon all you gotta do is smear some DNA on your flatbed scanner and POOF! Baby! Just make sure you use the right compression because MP3 babies aren't that good as compared to WAV babies. Better resolution.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
        It was announced today that the first human embryo clone was produced. They allowed it to live for 10 days before destroying it. --- Personally, I'm surprised it took this long. I wouldn't be surprised if more private work has been done.
        Well, it wasn't actually the first; that happened in 2006 at Newcastle University in the UK (and there have been other, less credible reports as well).

The ones that were created recently were destroyed so that an outside lab could confirm the research. But nothing really new (from a scientific perspective) was learned from Stemagen Labs' research, as it was already known that this type of work could be done. From a Boston Globe story:
        Biologist Douglas A. Melton, codirector of the Harvard Stem Cell Institute, said there was "nothing substantially new" in the research. "We already know it's possible to get a blastocyst from nuclear transfer," Melton said, stressing that the next big leap for the field is generating human stem cells from cloned embryos, not making embryos for the sake of chalking up firsts.

Comment

As long as they just clone the good looking ones I'm in full support.
          “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
          http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Working...
          X