Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Women in a man's world - What are your views?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Women in a man's world - What are your views?

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
    I want a competent leader, but would never think, much less say that I DON'T want a female president. So no, I cannot figure that one out.

I prefer male bosses, too. That's all I've ever had and the only soap opera type troubles I ever had on the job was from another female with too much time on her hands and too nosey, etc.

You bet I don't want a female president, but if ever there is one running that is clearly more respectable than any man running, I'll sigh and vote for that honorable female over the men.
    Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

But "equality" can mean different things to different people, too. If you equate equality with economic parity, then women as a whole are still lagging, except for certain professions. And in this society, he who brings home the bacon (or who brings more of it home) usually is the one who's more "equal". Therefore, if you just look at absolute dollar earning power, it does appear that men are superior over say, a "homemaker" and stay at home mother.

But studies have shown that if you put a price tag to each and every task a stay-at-home Mom has to accomplish on any given day, her salary would be in the hundreds of thousands of dollars annually. And she doesn't get health benefits or vacation from her work, either, and must be on call 24x7. A Mom who also works fulll time compounds her monetary value but is put into a pretty tough situation, especially when the kids are young. And if that working Mom with young kids is the sole breadwinner for the family, well, no wonder there are sometimes behavioral problems in the kids.

But if you talk about emotional complexity, I think women have it in spades over men. Men are pretty direct in their emotions, but women tend not to be so direct. And if you believe the "Men are from Mars" theory, men and women from the beginning of time have had problems communicating with each other. One positive outcome of the GLB movement is to prove that most social roles can be assumed by either sex (as can most jobs). About the only thing that science has yet to discover is how to make a man pregnant.

So it is a very distinct possibility that we could have a woman President someday, if not now. In fact, I would rather have a woman President before I would vote for a distinctly ethnic minority male candidate if both were equally qualified. Why? Because the battle between men and women is far more important than one between the races and has been around for far longer.

Miulang
      Last edited by Miulang; July 23, 2007, 11:59 AM.
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Karen View Post
        I prefer male bosses, too. That's all I've ever had and the only soap opera type troubles I ever had on the job was from another female with too much time on her hands and too nosey, etc.

You bet I don't want a female president, but if ever there is one running that is clearly more respectable than any man running, I'll sigh and vote for that honorable female over the men.
        Golly Karen, if you cannot trust a woman to run a country with its many checks and balances, or even a fleet of staff who are protected by the myriads of laws and courts, how could you trust women to properly guide and advocate for those who aren't empowered to lobby on their behalf--the children?

pax

Comment

I don't believe men and women are equal.
          Last edited by PoiBoy; July 23, 2007, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
            Golly Karen, if you cannot trust a woman to run a country with its many checks and balances, or even a fleet of staff who are protected by the myriads of laws and courts, how could you trust women to properly guide and advocate for those who aren't empowered to lobby on their behalf--the children?
            I don't know if it's as much a trust issue as a respect issue. I have no respect for the billary team, so that's moot cuz this is a woman's issue. Like I said, every job I've worked, the few that they are, I had male bosses and they were even-handed and no-nonsense. I didn't have a female boss and know that there are some good ones, while I prefer a male boss cuz in the office what I saw was women being more emotionally activated and along with it went nonsense & soap opera crap.

I dare to admit that I prefer male bosses and male cops. I am not surprised that women are still very much a minority on every police force I've noticed. I dare to say that men make better cops. While I feel women have the right to be a cop if they can pass muster, I don't feel they are WISE to do so. I assure you, my feeling this way will always be a secret to any female cop I am around, including a friend that's no longer one. (no, she doesn't read here, lol)

Comment

I'm sorry you feel that way. Maybe you should come work for me??? Got a PhD in Physics? Sorry..... being a little sarcastic there. However, while there are women in this world who like to create "soap opera type troubles", I can assure you, from personal experience that there are many qualified women in all kinds of fields who are running industries, universities and governments. No matter what, positions of authority should be held by the most qualified person. It should not matter if that person is a male or female, black, white of polka dotted. I have every confidence that I am in the position I am in because of my qualifications - and ....I have maintained that position because I know what I am doing. Because I am in a field with so few women, I have had to prove myself early on. I would not have been accepted otherwise.

Comment

I have had both genders as bosses and it wasn't their gender, but their emotional maturity that determined how I regarded them. I am the boss now. I concern myself with those elements over which I have control and do not fret over those which I do not.

pax

Comment

LOL Phd in Physics! Won't change what can be observed and that is also, when you look at any fire dept. you'll see mostly men. That's cuz generally speaking, most men are stronger than most women.

I have a very close friend back home in Texas that wanted to be an EMS tech. She found out that in San Antonio, you have to become a fireman first, then be accepted to be the tech from there. She wanted it so badly and yet had no desire to be a fireman except that it could bring her to tech, so she tried and failed the physical part every time, and part of that was like dragging a hundred pounds or something, I think that was it. Not surprising...

Editing this in here, glad it'll still let me. Dig this! Boulder, colorado passed this law long before most of us were born.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=56808
                  Last edited by Karen; July 23, 2007, 04:50 PM.

Comment

I have to admit the truth of my views. IF.....we lived in a true paradise on earth, and men weren't oinking for pleasures and weren't like the crap we see on tv sitcoms, no not all men, generalizing to say the least, if, in my personal vew....men were honorable, noble, patient, kind but firm, if most women could truly respect most men, holding them up almost as our own consciences, even......yeah right, I speak of a dream, of how God intended it, in my opinion.....then the bible's instructions could truly be adhered to.

New paragraph only for ease of reading...if men were that fantastic and honorable, then it could be as bible says it should be....which is...

God over man, man over woman, and woman over the children. However, it ain't nuttin like that, and so thank goodness women have taken the lead in so many things. No woman needs a man as boss if she in all honesty has her own conscience as boss and does her best to obey. However...my bible was written in antiquity and neither sex is better than the other when it comes to being a shining example of right and wrong, so....

I don't believe it's really a man's world anymore and rightly so.
                    And if women did what was right... ? Because you surely can't believe that more men than women are self serving.
                    It goes both ways and hand in hand. IMO
                    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

I dare to admit that I prefer male bosses and male cops. I am not surprised that women are still very much a minority on every police force I've noticed. I dare to say that men make better cops. While I feel women have the right to be a cop if they can pass muster, I don't feel they are WISE to do so. I assure you, my feeling this way will always be a secret to any female cop I am around, including a friend that's no longer one. (no, she doesn't read here, lol)
                      I've been watching this thread.

Domestic Abuse ~ We all know someone or heard of someone.

I've been abused. Yeah, stupid me. The Cycle of Abuse is a hard one to break. Low Self Esteem, Fear, Love, Excuses upon Excuses. It's all BS!! However, one hit can be a mistake and it can work out if the parties agree to get counseling.

Now to the above quote.

Karen I respect "your" Opinion. Let me tell you something about two young women whom I know. They volunteered to fight for our country. One went to Iraq at the same time with her brother. She was there 15 months. The other to Korea. Their mother was asked by Tina Shelton if there was a difference between Male and Female Soldiers? She said "NO! They're ALL SOLDIERS!!!"

Now the younger one became an HPD Police Officer. Yes, she has the muster. Was she WISE to do so? You betcha!! She still serves in the AF National Guard too.

How do I know all this? I am their MOTHER!

And a very Strong Wahine!!

Love and ALOHA

Auntie Lynn

btw: I've kicked Men's Okoles many a times in the business world and on the street. If I found I couldn't win with my brains or hands, I'd pick-up anything to betta my chances. I'm not dumb. I'm PuPule!hahahaha
                      Last edited by 1stwahine; July 23, 2007, 05:06 PM.
                      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I keep reloading this conversation and watching it. I'm having a hard time because I agree with just about everyone for one reason or another.

I agree with Karen on a lot of things. I don't want a female President either. I also prefer a male boss (the one I have know is an exception because she is exceptional).

I think women can do most of the things men can do and probably better! I'm a tita and a b*tch, and proud of it!

I to have endured the heavy-handed partner.

But, at the risk of making a sentimental fool of myself, I care very deeply about our male counterparts. For the most part they are gentle, loving, over-grown children. That's the maternal instinct talking I guess. They need our love and that makes them special. Besides, their strange and it's interesting to try to figure them out. HA HA!

Seriously, the most help that I have gotten on things (house, automobile, Internet, whatever) has been from men. I get along with them better than I do women and they're not mean when I say something stupid... they just laugh when I realize I did something dumb.

Menehune Man is right too, the gold diggers and self-serving individuals I have seen have been female.

I have great respect for the ladies like acousticlady and 1stwahine because they have earned their way! I have NO respect for gold diggers, male or female.

What's my point? I have no idea. I told you I was having a hard time. I guess that means that I think we're equal... we just get to that equality differently.
                        Aloha,
                        Evelyn
                        Homespun Honolulu

Comment

Interesting to see how many people would not want a female president. I'd be quite happy to have one - just not the one who is prominently featured amongst the present Democratic contenders.

I'd also like to see non-white presidents someday, as well as gay ones. But then, I'd really like to see the day where none of those factors matter at all; not gender, not race, not religious affiliation, not sexual orientation - but rather, their performance as a leader.

It won't happen in my lifetime, unfortunately. We're more likely to see an "American Idol"-type presidential election before that.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                            I'd also like to see non-white presidents someday, as well as gay ones. But then, I'd really like to see the day where none of those factors matter at all; not gender, not race, not religious affiliation, not sexual orientation - but rather, their performance as a leader.

It won't happen in my lifetime, unfortunately. We're more likely to see an "American Idol"-type presidential election before that.
                            Stop being human Mr. Leo Lakio.

Don't blame it on American Idol.

Go to China, one of the most racist countries in the world. You might think, but how can they be racist if they are all Chinese. Try as a Mandarin about a Cantonese. China has a million different "levels" of "chineseness" and they are absolutely racist to anyone who they perceive as below them.

Go to Japan and ask a Japanese what they think of an Okinawan. One is human the other a monkey. You guess which is which.

So humans could be cloned into identical beings and they would invent a way to be racist.

Please read the fine intellectual volume entitled "The Sneetches" by Dr. Seuss. Pretty much calls it.

And by the way, if the Homosexual mafia is always arguing that sexual preference DOESN'T matter, then why should it matter what a President's sexual preference may be. Always the hypocritical and intolerant left.

Back on topic.

Women have always ruled the world.

They still do.

If they want the power, it is theirs.

I don't even understand the women's movement.

I think many of the women of my generation have been brainwashed into thinking that "traditional" womens roles are always demeaning.

I see most of these women abandoning their children to grandparents, aunties or even strangers. I see these women dumping their children at "daycare" beginning at 2 or 3 years old.

Seems to me they are voluntarily abandoning the most amazing incredible opportunity of human life ---- to bring life into the world and to nurture that life and then set it free.

What possible job or house or car or money could beat that as a reason to live?

Women have always ruled the world.

Comment

several things, in a not-so-organized manner:

i was a victim of domestic violence, for seven years, and it's been just as long since i left that relationship. while i didn't deserve the abuse, i understand why i accepted the relationship for as long as i did.

my mother and grandmother raised me--both strong women, in their own way. my father was largely absent. the year he was supposed to move to hawaii, he was killed in a drunk driving accident. he was a passenger.

i was born the same year as Roe v. Wade. had my mother not come to the US as late in her pregnancy as she did, the MDs would have asked her to consider seriously aborting me due to a serious heart condition that had been left undiscovered while she was in the philippines. still, i am a staunch supporter of women's reproductive rights and it is one of three issued which will decide my vote for a candidate.

i'm a clintonite feminist, and i'm proud to say it. so is my mother.

i don't see men or women being superior or inferior to the other--there are certain things men, in general, do better than women and there are certain things women, in general, do better than men. however, to make blanket statements about one gender or the other is just idiotic. it doesn't take more than two active brain cells to see that there are a multitude of exceptions.

i feel sorry for those who feel they would rather have a boss of one gender over the other. rotten bosses abound in both genders. great ones are just as few in one gender as the other.

to the original poster--what you are doing now regarding your friend is absolutely the best thing you can do. take it from someone who has been in your friend's shoes. hopefully, she will somehow miraculously wake up, and if she is, she will really need and appreciate you then. in fact, if she has not or does not say it--i thank you.

the group that does the marches, i believe, is the coalition against domestic violence.
                              superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by Sprite View Post
                                I keep reloading this conversation and watching it. I'm having a hard time because I agree with just about everyone for one reason or another.

I agree with Karen on a lot of things. I don't want a female President either. I also prefer a male boss (the one I have know is an exception because she is exceptional).

I think women can do most of the things men can do and probably better! I'm a tita and a b*tch, and proud of it!

I to have endured the heavy-handed partner.

But, at the risk of making a sentimental fool of myself, I care very deeply about our male counterparts. For the most part they are gentle, loving, over-grown children. That's the maternal instinct talking I guess. They need our love and that makes them special. Besides, their strange and it's interesting to try to figure them out. HA HA!

Seriously, the most help that I have gotten on things (house, automobile, Internet, whatever) has been from men. I get along with them better than I do women and they're not mean when I say something stupid... they just laugh when I realize I did something dumb.

Menehune Man is right too, the gold diggers and self-serving individuals I have seen have been female.

I have great respect for the ladies like acousticlady and 1stwahine because they have earned their way! I have NO respect for gold diggers, male or female.

What's my point? I have no idea. I told you I was having a hard time. I guess that means that I think we're equal... we just get to that equality differently.
                                Well written on many levels. We are equals. Thanks!
                                Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X