Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Hawaii Media > Hawaii Television Memories
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old September 14th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: Hawaii Five-O Season 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen View Post
I think I remember this one. In the plot wasn't there a copycat killing in the string of murders?
Yeah, sort of. There was the serial killer, and another seperate killer who's exposed by McGarrett in the end.
Old September 18th, 2007, 02:29 AM
Kia`aina

Default Re: Hawaii Five-0

Interesting star-studded show that aired on KWHE tonight, Starred John Ritter as a gambling-addicted pilot, Joe Moore as his boss, Rap Reiplinger as the airplane mechanic who retrieves 10 grand in a VW bus, and Lucky Luck as a parking attendant at the Ilikai parking lot. What does this mean? Absolutely nothing, except for the fact that I hadn't heard Rap Reiplinger's material for years and immediately went to iTunes and bought the "Poi Dog With Crabs" compilation.
Old September 18th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Kanaka

I love -- make that absolutely adore -- Hawaii Five-O reruns. My husband and I try to catch as many as we can. Sorry if this has been posted before, but one "icon" in almost every show that sends me into fits of hysteria are the phone booths. Have you noticed?? In one show, there was a phone booth near Sandy Beach, which never existed. In another show, there was a phone booth up near the road where the hang gliders used to launch, which of course, was never the site of a phone booth. In another show, there was a phone booth near the Makapuu lookout. Now, when we watch the show, at any given moment, either my hubby or I will yell out, "Phone booth comin' up!" It's almost as if the prop guys plopped a phone booth wherever they thought it looked good.
Old September 19th, 2007, 02:19 AM

Think of those phone booths as cell phones from the 1960s.
Old September 19th, 2007, 07:48 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel View Post
Think of those phone booths as cell phones from the 1960s.
Now where does Superman change now?
Old September 20th, 2007, 02:56 AM
Ali`i

When I was clicking around, I stopped when I saw a young Christopher Walken on Hawaii Five-O. What season was that episode? Even then, he did his famous trademark in movies of a monologue speech. Did the director see something in his talent?
Old September 20th, 2007, 03:45 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaRose View Post
I love -- make that absolutely adore -- Hawaii Five-O reruns. My husband and I try to catch as many as we can. Sorry if this has been posted before, but one "icon" in almost every show that sends me into fits of hysteria are the phone booths. Have you noticed?? In one show, there was a phone booth near Sandy Beach, which never existed. In another show, there was a phone booth up near the road where the hang gliders used to launch, which of course, was never the site of a phone booth. In another show, there was a phone booth near the Makapuu lookout. Now, when we watch the show, at any given moment, either my hubby or I will yell out, "Phone booth comin' up!" It's almost as if the prop guys plopped a phone booth wherever they thought it looked good.
There are phone booths at some of these locations now, I remember being stranded out near the Makapuu lookout and was fortunate to see they had a place to make a phone call at the rest stop/look out point. Though I guess I shouldnt call them phone booths. I do believe there is an actual phone booth near Beretania Safeway on Young Street, maybe one of the few that exist anymore!

Aj
Old September 20th, 2007, 04:08 AM
Ali`i

A non-serious reason why there are less phone booths than before.
Shoe Shine Boy was the secret id of Underdog who has a tendecy to destory phone booths while changing to Underdog
Going back on topic, I have to confess when Hawaii Five-O was first on, during the openning credits, there is a sequence towards the end where someone is spinning a revolver's ammo chamber. I had the impression it was someone dialing a special kind of police phone and not a weapon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0001.JPG (22.3 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by helen; September 20th, 2007 at 04:13 AM.
Old September 20th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
It doesn't really matter. The important thing is that he really wants to change.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
When I was clicking around, I stopped when I saw a young Christopher Walken on Hawaii Five-O. What season was that episode?
Second season: "Run, Johnny, Run" --- Christopher Walken guest stars in an episode about an AWOL sailor accused of shooting an MP.
Google is your friend, WB.
Old September 21st, 2007, 04:15 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Actually, that dilemma was presented on the first Christopher Reeves' Superman movie, where Clark Kent needed to change and could only find pay phones of the "open-air" variety. (Apparently, even back in the late 1970s, phone booths were already on their way to becoming an endangered species.) In that instance, Clark ducked into an office building's revolving door and in a couple of spins, came out dressed as the Man of Steel.
Old September 22nd, 2007, 06:25 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
Actually, that dilemma was presented on the first Christopher Reeves' Superman movie, where Clark Kent needed to change and could only find pay phones of the "open-air" variety.
Yup. Got a good laugh in the theater.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 06:54 PM
Ali`i

Season 3 release date announced as January 22, 2008.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 05:28 AM
Kumu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
Season 3 release date announced as January 22, 2008.
I must've fallen asleep...I did a check and Season 2 is already out! Hope my local Border's has em in stock.
Old January 18th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Haumana

Default Re: "Hawaii Five-O" coming out on DVD

So, no money for your family? I think that's a shame. Your uncle was a huge part of the show for the first 2 years! has the family made any plans to sue? I think the family would have an excellent case fro a good pro bono lawyer to take your case.
Old January 18th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Haumana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalihiboy View Post
Anyone reason why Jack Lord didnt appear on Emme's program, he was still alive in 1996, unless he was in poor health, he seemed to be a recluse in the later years of his life. His wife Marie was something like 16 years OLDER than he was.
Does anyone remember Jack Lord doing any local interviews over the years, he rarely ever did any national tv interviews I have found out as well.

KalihiBoy
Jack was 79 years old in 1996. People who knew him said he was losing it mentally by 96. (He died Jan 1998) He did have Alzheimer's by then so he was really not in the mental conditon to be on the program.
Old January 18th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Ali`i

Jack Lord was always a recluse. I remember when I was a kid shopping at Kahala Mall, I'd see him dressed in his white shirt, pants, shoes and hat while walking around inside the mall with his wife. In person he was a very quiet man and kept to himself.
Old January 19th, 2008, 06:57 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by coop5054 View Post
Jack was 79 years old in 1996. People who knew him said he was losing it mentally by 96. (He died Jan 1998) He did have Alzheimer's by then so he was really not in the mental conditon to be on the program.
I think Jack was 76 in 1996. During the late 80's there were talks about a 5-0 made for tv movie, which sadly never happened. Jack shot the pilot for M Station: Hawaii which aired in 1980, shortly after Hawaii 5-0 ended and that was his last national appearence on tv to my knowledge.

Aj
Old January 19th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Jack Lord was always a recluse. I remember when I was a kid shopping at Kahala Mall, I'd see him dressed in his white shirt, pants, shoes and hat while walking around inside the mall with his wife. In person he was a very quiet man and kept to himself.
Jack Lord kept a low public profile after Hawaii 5-0 ended. But whenever anyone spotted him and said hello, he seemed to enjoy the recognition. Besides Kahala Mall, he was a frequent visitor to the Waikiki Sheraton, all the way up to about the early 1990s or so. After that, he was never seen. That's when the rumors began to spread that he was suffering from Alzheimer's.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 01:06 PM
Haumana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
Jack Lord kept a low public profile after Hawaii 5-0 ended. But whenever anyone spotted him and said hello, he seemed to enjoy the recognition. Besides Kahala Mall, he was a frequent visitor to the Waikiki Sheraton, all the way up to about the early 1990s or so. After that, he was never seen. That's when the rumors began to spread that he was suffering from Alzheimer's.
This is an interesting article from Terri's Jack Lord Connection. Some information about Jack in later years by Jimmy Borges who was a close friend of Jack Lord. He confimed that Jack Lord did indeed wear a hairpiece in his career which there has been a lot of debate about.

A Hawaii Five-0 Adventure
By Linda Smith

Quote:
One of the shows my husband and I went to was to the Hawaii Theater where Jimmy Borges, who is now 72, was going to perform.

Naturally, we talked about Jack and here is what he had to say.

“When we went out to dinner, Jack was a really funny guy. Yes, at work he was tough and expected people to be professional. When they were not, Jack would get after them. But Jack new better than to do that to me because I was an entertainer first. Jack asked me to come be on the show. He knew I would just walk off the set if he treated me like that. Jack respected me and I respected him. We got along great.

“Marie was the boss at home. Jack sometimes did not know how to match his clothes properly. He would come out in black pants with navy blue socks and Marie would ask him to put black socks on saying, ‘Jack you look great but you'd look even better with black socks and this tie.’ Jack would do anything she asked the minute she asked.

“Jack was a honey do husband and very attendant to Marie. She was a physically beautiful woman and very kind. They were very close as a couple.”

I asked if Marie ever came to the set and helped Jack with office items and he said “No.”

My husband and I then met with Glenn Cannon at the University of Hawaii in his office. He was very kind and helpful, answering all of my questions. We spend an entire hour with him and the following are some of his answers to my questions.

Last edited by admin; March 19th, 2008 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Do not republish copywrited material in whole. Excerpts and links only.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 01:14 PM
Kumu

Woo hoo! JUst picked up the Hawaii 5-0 season 3 at my locals Borders!!
Old January 22nd, 2008, 05:13 PM
Ali`i

I have some of Jack's checks too, the auction people sent me them along with several of his tapes I bought last year.

The auction even sold Jack and Marie's wedding rings/band, however I should point out, I'm not sure if they sold, but they were up for sale at one point.

They were very generous donating their trust to various local charities.

Aj
Old January 22nd, 2008, 10:35 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by coop5054 View Post
I mentioned to Glenn that it seemed he was reading his lines in Season 11 ‘Stringer’ when he is asking his girlfriend where to find Stringer. It also appeared to me that he was reading on the balcony when he tells the story of his dad being killed and his burial. Glenn replied he never seen Jack read his lines when he was with him, but he did see other actors reading their lines. Unfortunately, Glenn would not name them.
He's probably thinking about some established, big name actors. Generally, producers/directors would cut those guys some slack if they didn't have their lines completely down. Lesser known actors would have no such luxury.

I know for a fact that William Conrad used cue-cards when he starred on "Jake & the Fatman." That's why he was sometimes squinting his eyes in that show.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 08:32 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastTropics View Post
Woo hoo! JUst picked up the Hawaii 5-0 season 3 at my locals Borders!!
Mine's arrived yesterday from Amazon.

Oh,.... and for those who think that Hawaii 5-0 was too gritty and unrealistic, watch the episode "Trouble In Mind" from the 3rd season set. This is the one guest-starring Nancy Wilson as a jazz singer who is hooked on heroin. Harry Guardino (who plays the singer's boyfriend) attempts to buy some smack so that she can get her fix. He ends up in the area around Dole Park (the park that is right next to Magellan Ave. and H-1 freeway) where he goes to, not one, but TWO pushers. One of them is a boy who doesn't look a day over 12. When Guardino asks the boy about the quality of the smack, the kid tries to prove it by shooting it up himself!

No doubt, this was pretty disturbing stuff to watch back in 1970. Still gives me the chills when I see it today. Anyhow, the reason I bring this up is that this is pretty much the same neighborhood where young Cyrus Belt was living. And we all know the sad story about how his life was destroyed by the effects of drugs. A story that is all TOO REAL.

Last edited by Frankie's Market; January 23rd, 2008 at 08:38 PM.
Old January 27th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Kanaka

Nice story, coop. Thanks!
Old January 28th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Haumana

Smile Re: Hawaii Five-0

Quote:
Can you remember the last year you actually saw him walking around at the mall? There is a National Enquirer picture of him walking around in 1996 and he looked old. Hair all grey. People said he still wore stage make-up out in public.

But he died in January 1998, so if he was still out walking in 1996 that means he still knew how to get back home!