Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Tastes Like Chicken"

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
    Speaking of food oddities, I'd say Balut tastes like chicken noodle soup. Let's just say, it has "texture". lol Sprinkle a little salt on top and it really brings the flavor out. What? You never try Balut? I did... not bad, once you get over staring at that little chickee and the black veins.
    LOL, I remember when I went to the Phillipines in 1993, I was in Quezon City and it was 11pm where I was playing cards with "L" and his financee Maria. I told Maria that I had tried Balut once in Hawaii in a filipino restarurant owned by a friend of mine. All of a sudden, I heard a sound outside, " Balut!, Balut!", I asked Maria what was that, she said Oh it's the Balut vendor!

Maria gathered all the pesos off the card table and returned with Balut for eveyone including me! I ate it with trepidation, and the next day I came down with diarrehea!

The worst thing is to come down with diarrehea in a foreign country! Unlike here, toilet tissure paper isn't available in most bathroom stalls, including supposedly high class areas like S & M Mall.

I eventually recovered when we went to Baguio City where it was 20 degrees cooler, and I ate only Pancit Mami (the filipino equivalent to saimin) and McDonalds fillet fish sandwiches. LOL... My Filipino Friends made fun of me when I didn't even want to eat what they called Manapua, " Shao Pao" which is actually closer to the orignial Chinese name for it.

I was told that the Hawaiians called Manapua, " Mea Ono Ka Pua'a" which means delicious pig cookie, and the Chinese corrupted it (because their language is monoslyllabic) they couldn't pronounce the Hawaiian words, it became manapua instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Beau View Post
      I was told that the Hawaiians called Manapua, " Mea Ono Ka Pua'a" which means delicious pig cookie, and the Chinese corrupted it (because their language is monoslyllabic) they couldn't pronounce the Hawaiian words, it became manapua instead.
      Now THAT is the most interesting piece of culinary information I've ever heard! That is so cool! Where did you hear that?

I'm definitely adding that to my blog entries on Libby's, Char Hung Sut and Island Manapua Factory.

Regarding Balut, Andrew Zimmern's Bizaare Foods did an episode in the Philippines, where there was one town that Balut was its primary economic driver. But it wasn't chicken eggs, it was duck.

Duck balut!

Inquiring minds wanted to know, so I ended calling Frog House (Kalakaua ave.) today to ask what exactly they were about. Turns they DO NOT SERVE FROG LEGS. lol! Repeat: No frog legs at the Frog House.

They're basically a Korean restaurant. The nice Korean lady laughed when I asked her that. She was hilarious with her heavy accent and us talking about frog legs and Korean grinds. I wanna' go in just to chat more with her. lol
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Alligator does taste like chicken, though it's a bit tougher.

Didn't think I'd ever try it, but I had some blackened Louisiana Alligator at The Chimes Restaurant during my most recent visit to Baton Rouge. The texture's similar to chicken, but I likened the taste to that of blackened cajun ahi.
        Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
        We're not here to mess around
        Boston, you know we love you madly
        Hear the crowd roar to your sound
        Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
        You know we couldn't live without you
        Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Now THAT is the most interesting piece of culinary information I've ever heard! That is so cool! Where did you hear that?

I'm definitely adding that to my blog entries on Libby's, Char Hung Sut and Island Manapua Food Blog
          My paternal grandmother was half Hawaiian, half Chinese and could speak Hawaiian fluently( I mentioned her as being a matron at Detention Home on another post! LOL). My grandmother's sister in law was also half Chinese and half Hawaiian (my grandmother and her would speak fluent Hawaiian to each other) and was a frequent guest on KCCN on Sundays when they had a Hawaiian Language Program. It was my great Aunt Eliza (my paternal grandmother's sister in law) who told me that.

P.S. Like you I would prefer to eat at an Okazuya than Patti's Chinese Kitchen. Japanese Cuisine is one of my all time favorites!!!

Comment

A GOOD, WELL prepared grilled Portabello Mushroom has a very steak-like flavor and texture. It has to be grilled over a good searing flame tho'.

I think I tried an ostrich burger and didnt care for it. I dont much venison either. My sister and "hunts more than ted Nugent" brother-in-law are always trying to pass off venison as a meat I should eat, but, sorry, I just can't do it.

Frog, rattlesnake ? No way, no how.
            http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
            Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
            Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

My dad has hunted/fished his entire life. We ate frog legs as kids (tastes great, like chicken, but hate those big varicose veins!) as well as stuff like venison, caribou, mountain goat, proghorn antelope, elk, wild pig, rabbit, duck, pheasant, dove and quail. I've also had an ostrich and an emu burger; they taste really good, much lighter in taste and 'fattiness' than beef, color of veal. I also had a taste of buffalo sauerbratin and buffalo chili. The chili was ok; the meat abit gamier than beef. Didn't care for the sauerbratin at all; much too gamey and it tasted like old funky beef!
              Lika

Comment

Yeah, Frogs are good luck for Koreans. That's why they named it Frog House.

I'm definitely adding that to my blog entries on Libby's, Char Hung Sut and Island Manapua Factory.

Comment

Working...
                X