X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Obama Watch

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
    As for the others there - actually they ARE part of Obama's "camp" as you called it. They are part of a nation wide, grass roots campaign to convince Obama to run.
    Yes. They're trying to "convince" him to run. Doesn't make them part of his camp. Unless they're officially part of his campaign team and unless they're officially speaking on his behalf, then they're not part of his "camp"... they're just "camp followers".
    Anyway.
    Carry on.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

well, excuse the H*** out of me.
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

KHON just showed footage of the event...

They also made reference to Oprah.

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
          When a US congressman calls a news conference, reporters will attend - its a given.
          This is probably true. Which is kind of sad. Abercrombie calls press conferences more often than most men change their socks. He's always got something to say on the hot issue of the day, qualified or relevant or not. He's like the Charles Djou of our Democratic congressional delegation.

And I have no doubt that there is some level of orchestration between Obama's "real" camp and this ostensibly but transparenly orchestrated "grass roots campaign" to push Obama to run. He has to be the reluctant candidate. Ambition isn't part of the image Obama is trying to hone in the public's eye.

How he will announce is the question. I too think Oprah is a bit off. John Edwards grabbed the early limelight this week and went the "netroots" way (courting bloggers and YouTube and wannabe web wonks, a la Howard Dean... which may not bode well for his actual prospects in actual politics), so the question is what tack Obama will take. Obviously announcing in Hawaii would be a bad idea, but Oprah doesn't sound much better.

Comment

I look at this whole fiasco and shake my head.

The dude's here on vacation. Leave him alone. While I suppose he could pass as a "celebrity," there's nothing really all that special about him...yet.

And if anyone thinks he gives a crap what local politicians "want him to do" they are really underestimating the guy. I'd suspect he's watching all this and laughing his ass off.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPy7RnHwvmA

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
                Abercrombie seemed pretty sure that if he announced.... it would be on oprah...

Why not? It's taped in his home state...and He himself already told the U.S. People on Oprah that if he did decide... that he would say it on Oprah....

Are you watching OPRAH now?
                Frankly, I have grown more than a bit tired of Oprah-mania.

She may have been something worth bothering with, in the early years. She has now become the Mistress of Mixed Messages.

"Love yourself for what you are!" "Hey, look how good this fat bitch looks after her make-over/liposuction/face-lift/six month personal trainer boot camp!"

"America is doomed, thanks to personal debt!" "Woohoooo---everyone in the audience gets a free 'Oprah's favorites' basket, complete with a $600 cashmere sweater! Now jump up and down and SCREAM!"

And who gives a damn about her best friend's oh-so-wise opinions on life?

Can you say "coattails," Gayle? I thought you could.

Oprah is just soooo "real folk."

Yeah, sure. Ask her about the Hermes incident in Paris.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...062302086.html

Most of us, when confronted with a "Sorry, We're Closed" sign, would simply mutter an expletive and head somewhere else.

If Obama announces his intention to run for President on the Oprah show I would harbor sincere doubts about his insight and judgement capabilities.
                Last edited by WindwardOahuRN; December 29, 2006, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
                  And who gives a damn about her best friend's oh-so-wise opinions on life? Can you say "coattails," Gail? I thought you could.
                  Gail who? What's this about?

Some aspects of life really do work smoother when you extend the concept of the "ignore" function to the rest of the world.

(Those are rhetorical questions, btw; I don't really desire additional details.)

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                    Gail who? What's this about?

Some aspects of life really do work smoother when you extend the concept of the "ignore" function to the rest of the world.
                    LOL...yep. And so, my television is tuned to "Jeopardy!" or a music channel when 4 pm rolls around, HST.

Comment

while working on my computer, i typically have the tv on and saw obama on oprah last night and he did come across as a level headed guy trying to do good.

if the image he's projecting is accurate, he'd be the last person to want people gawking at him and making a fuss over him. he's got two daughters and he claims they (along with his wife) keep him grounded.

time will tell if he lives up to the image or if he'll turn into another professional politician with all characteristics that money can buy...
                      525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice View Post
                        while working on my computer, i typically have the tv on and saw obama on oprah last night and he did come across as a level headed guy trying to do good.

if the image he's projecting is accurate, he'd be the last person to want people gawking at him and making a fuss over him. he's got two daughters and he claims they (along with his wife) keep him grounded.

time will tell if he lives up to the image or if he'll turn into another professional politician with all characteristics that money can buy...
                        He does seem like an extremely intelligent guy, honest and real.

Wouldn't it be nice?

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
                          He does seem like an extremely intelligent guy, honest and real.

Wouldn't it be nice?
                          oh yes; it would be. i've got my fingers crossed. btw, you probably already know this but he was the first african american president of the harvard law review...
                          525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice View Post
                            oh yes; it would be. i've got my fingers crossed. btw, you probably already know this but he was the first african american president of the harvard law review...
                            I really don't know a heckuva lot about him at this point. I'm sure we'll all learn more as time goes by.
                            How terrific it would be to have someone we could truly believe in.
                            What a concept, eh?

Comment

Stanley Crouch makes a clear distinction between Black American (what most blacks in America are) and African-American, which is what Obama is, in this column. What Obama isn't: black like me
                              The implication is that our society is still not ready to elect someone who has lived the Black American experience.

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
                                Stanley Crouch makes a clear distinction between Black American (what most blacks in America are) and African-American, which is what Obama is, in this column. What Obama isn't: black like me
                                The implication is that our society is still not ready to elect someone who has lived the Black American experience.
                                I would hardly say that Obama has lived the Black American experience!
                                What a joke!

Not too many black americans are fortunate enough to attend Punahou!

Comment

Working...
                                X