Carry on luggage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carry on luggage

I’ve learned a new lesson that I want to share with HTers. In these days of some airlines grabbing for every dollar they can besides the airfare, be cautious about your carry on luggage size. Industry standards for carry on luggage is 9x14x22, but not all airlines allow for that size. Some, like United on connector flights that have smaller overhead bins, will check the carry on for free. But our interisland Go airlines charges $10 if your luggage is too big for their smaller bin.

I travel a lot for work. I’ve used my carry on for probably 50 flights. It is within the industry standards. No, I’m not trying to pack a week’s vacation clothing into a carry on, I only need an overnight’s change of clothes. So, I never gave it a thought that I needed to pull out a measuring tape when I booked my Go flight.

So, I’ve learned. From now on, I’m going back to “soft” carry on luggage. I could have easily squashed my change of clothes into the sizing bin at the airport if it had been in a soft duffel bag type of luggage. But it being a frame & wheeled type, I was out of luck. Or, another choice for me, is to avoid the money-grabbing Go airlines.

Here is an informative website on carry on luggage and potential problems:
    http://thetravelinsider.info/travela...allowances.htm
    Last edited by Amati; September 14, 2009, 01:04 PM.
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Re: Carry on luggage

You can't stow your carry-on under the seat in front, anymore? That's where I've always put mine - that way I have easy access to the bomb components at all times.
    May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Wow. S'ed, you continue to surprise me with how low you can sink in your "humor." Nice one.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
        You can't stow your carry-on under the seat in front, anymore? That's where I've always put mine - that way I have easy access to the bomb components at all times.
        I would be very careful of making a statement like this. I have done many international and do national trips and this facetious statement is a no-no.

Comment

You can't stow your carry-on under the seat in front, anymore?
          My carry on would have fit under the seat in front of me, but Go refused to allow me to take it onboard, and then charged me to check the bag.

Comment

I'm thinking of just FedExing my luggage to my final destination instead.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
              One of the joys of traveling in Japan was the takkyubin service. As we traveled by train, our luggage went on without us and was always waiting in our next hotel room by the time we arrived.

Comment

Funny you should bring that up, I'm still waiting for my "mailed" luggage from a recent business trip. There was not a FedEx/UPS option from where I was, so I used the postal service with priority mail. The package is missing.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                  Funny you should bring that up, I'm still waiting for my "mailed" luggage from a recent business trip. There was not a FedEx/UPS option from where I was, so I used the postal service with priority mail. The package is missing.
                  That's because USPS uses the commercial airliners to ship parcels...you know the same airliners that lose your luggage?

Comment

That's because USPS uses the commercial airliners to ship parcels...you know the same airliners that lose your luggage?
                    Gee thanks for cheering me up and giving me the hope of my package showing up someday.

Comment

Here's the go! Airlines baggage policy:

"How many bags am I allowed to carry-on?

Each ticketed customer is allowed (1) carry-on (no larger than 19" x 15" x 11") [Photo indicates 45" maximum specification] at no charge. In addition to carry-on luggage, a customer may carry a handbag, pocketbook, overcoat, wrap, umbrella, walking stick, camera, binoculars, reading material for the flight, or food for consumption. Items must be able to fit under the seat in front of you or in the overhead bin. go! requires that name identification be on the outside of any bags or luggage. We recommend placing identification on the inside of your luggage as well. Name labels are available at any go! ticket counter."

I always bring a copy of baggage policy when flying, so as to refresh the memory of check-in/cabin personnel.
                      Last edited by salmoned; September 17, 2009, 03:22 PM.
                      May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

hi,when my mom and i visit sin city,we both have one roll away on luggage and we only carry what we need and when my mom and i meet my eldes sis and her hubby in sin city,we give our gift's to her and she take's them to her room and we all have a nice time and then on the final day,my eldes sis and her hubby go to a show and my mom and I Go to our room and pack and then we leave early in the morning and we bring only what my eldes sis give's to us so that's how we use our luggage.

Well thank's for your time

Comment

Each ticketed customer is allowed (1) carry-on (no larger than 19" x 15" x 11")
                          Yes, that is the catch, industry standard for carry on is 22" length, and those three inches are what makes most carry on "too long". Additionally, Go! refused to allow our carry on in the cabin, dispite the fact it would have fit under the seat.
                          So, I'll take soft sided carry on luggage if I have to fly Go! again. But I'll avoid Go! if possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                            So, I'll take soft sided carry on luggage if I have to fly Go! again. But I'll avoid Go! if possible.
                            So in other words... "You not going go on Go!"
                            To be, or musubi... What was da question?

Comment

Originally posted by musubi View Post
                              So in other words... "You not going go on Go!"
                              she only going on go if go going let her go on go with her stuff...okay we go!

Comment

Working...
                              X