Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Least Favorite National TV Ads

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    Glad to say I have NEVER seen this spot, if it's as annoying as you folks say it is.[...]
    OMG, LL, you must never, ever watch tv! I can't remember another spot that's run as often as that one. It's actually a well written, well cast spot and it wore pretty well...for awhile. But it's been run into the ground. And it's doing exactly what it's meant to do...get people talking. Positive or negative doesn't matter! Here we are, talking about it!

Comment

Oxi-Clean is a good product & would probably sell just as well without him yelling at us! It's his "gimmick" and it seems intentional - that's partially whats so offensive about it. and I remember the commercial/product in a negative way - not a way that will make me rush out to buy it. I have even written emails to the products websites detailing my objections to him and intent to NOT buy the products as long as he is doing the advertising. and I don't buy any product he advertises.

call me stubborn but that's just the way I feel.
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Kimo & TS are both right - the singing fish is cute but has been on waaaay too long. It's time for McD's to get another commercial.
        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
          Oxi-Clean is a good product & would probably sell just as well without him yelling at us! It's his "gimmick" and it seems intentional - that's partially whats so offensive about it. and I remember the commercial/product in a negative way - not a way that will make me rush out to buy it. I have even written emails to the products websites detailing my objections to him and intent to NOT buy the products as long as he is doing the advertising. and I don't buy any product he advertises.

call me stubborn but that's just the way I feel.
          But, Fran, you're a sophisticated consumer. It has nothing to do with being stubborn. The average viewing public isn't as sophisticated. And, no cites...just memories of being told this by various ad agency execs over the years...err...decades! Ads are written with specific target audiences in mind. I'm casting one right now that's very specific. My guess is Billy Mays put Oxi-Clean on the map. And, yes, he drives me nuts, too! Bottom line, tho', is he's also driving his advertisers and himself all the way to the bank. And, that's all that matters.

Remember "Vern" and his dufus gimmick? Gimmicks work! And, they're intentional.

Good for you for voicing your displeasure by not buying a product and by writing letters. Unfortunately, unless there's a flood of 'em, a letter via a web site probably goes pretty much unnoticed. A better tactic is to find out the product's ad agency and write the president of that agency and cc the President of the company that makes the product. And, that can take a lot of research! BTW, commercials have been pulled when enough viewers complained. It's an advertiser's and an ad agency's nightmare because spots are so expensive to produce.

Just my 2¢...

Comment

billy mays will have his own show:
            On April 15, 2009, the Discovery Channel will air a new series called Pitchmen. Pitchmen will be co-hosted by Mays, alongside Anthony Sullivan

i wonder how long that will last?
            the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

TS - thanks for the info & suggestion! I'm going to make a serious attempt to find out the agency & write to them instead. Good idea!
              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

The Humana commercials.

"One night he sing outside my window until i made him stop!"

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                  Remember "Vern" and his dufus gimmick? Gimmicks work! And, they're intentional.
                  How many Ernest movies were made?

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                    How many Ernest movies were made?
                    Sheesh...my bad. I meant Ernest. Vern was his 'friend'! Anyway...
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_P._Worrell

Comment

How about those Swiffer commercials with the poor rejected broom? don't much care for those..............although I do love the products
                      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                        How about those Swiffer commercials with the poor rejected broom? don't much care for those..............although I do love the products
                        "Baby come back..."
                        To me, a cute concept but now they're just old and stale because they've been aired so much! Lucky actors! Good casting, I might add! I, too, love the products.

Comment

oh my! I'm sitting here laughing because I just noticed that the singing fish on the wall has a name! It's Frankie............oh my
                          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I think that the McCafe commercials are horrible.

Comment

High 5, Vanguard!

Comment

I greatly dislike the Brinks ads that overdramatize random home invasions targeting and traumatizing fragile and vulnerable women.

Comment

Working...
                                X