Michelle Wie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Michelle Wie

In the StarBulletin this morning http://starbulletin.com/2006/07/28/sports/story01.html

Wie tied at top
    By Susanne Kemper

"EVIAN, France » It didn't take long for Michelle Wie to prove she is one of the best in the field of this year's Evian Masters.

The teen phenom fired an eye-opening 6-under-par 66 today to grab a share of the lead at 135 with two others at the halfway point of the elite, no-cut invitational."

Go! Michelle!!! Relax, Concentrate, Take Your Time, Breathe in...Breathe Out. Gifffff um!!!!

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

After the third round she's one back at -11. Karrie Webb has the lead at -12, and Ochoa (I think; it was a brief glance at Yahoo Sports' page) is one back of Michelle at -10.
      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

And it stayed that way. Webb won at -16; Wie and Davies tied for 2nd at -15.

Best 16-year-old never to win a major!

Comment

DAMMIT!
          I wish folks would remember to use the SPOILER setting when announcing results of things that haven't aired here yet.
          Sheesh...

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
            DAMMIT!
            I wish folks would remember to use the SPOILER setting when announcing results of things that haven't aired here yet.
            Sheesh...
            I looked at the TV listings and it said 12:30. Maybe I didn't notice whether it said PM rather than AM. I'm sorry.

Comment

Eh, that's okay, Linkmeister. As you may have noticed in the Media section, I jumped on both of the daily papers for putting the results on their websites too, so readers couldn't avoid seeing it. They should've done a Spoiler too.

Notice how I check in at HawaiiThreads before going to the newspaper's websites?!

Comment

You know you have made it when you are 16 years old and you can fire someone!

had to fix before the playground minotaur came down on me again!
                Last edited by damontucker; August 8, 2006, 06:34 PM. Reason: Playground minotaur watching me!

Comment

On the women's pro tour there's no doubt that she's one of the better players and definately is competitive each time out. She's truly a phenom and I'm a big fan of hers.

I just hope she has had enough just trying to make cuts on the men's tour. I think it's starting to taint her image. I think the novelty has worn off for now. I hope she doesn't enter any more men's events (except maybe the Sony Open) for a while. She should concentrate on dominating on the LPGA tour before even worrying about the men's tour. I have no doubts that eventually she will be able to compete with the men, just not now, afterall she is only 16. She needs to learn how to win first.

That's just my opinion, but what do I know, I'm just a 15 handicapper and she could smoke me on the course.

Comment

Interesting how the LPGA system was tweaked today, increasing the number of tournaments that go toward determining one's rank. By the new system, Wie is seventh, not second.

It's a change no doubt prompted by the unusually high rankings Wie and other relatively new players received, but from what I understand (which isn't much, I admit), it makes sense.

Bummer that Wie didn't make the top ten. I kind of feared she'd fall short, since after her last top ten finish, everyone kept saying, "Hey, at least she's always come in the top ten in all her major appearances!" That's just asking for trouble!

I also gotta say, as reasonable as her stock response sounded the first few times ("Well, I could've played better, but I really learned a lot today!"), it's starting to wear thin. This ain't golf school, it's the real world. Or, at least as much as golf can be the real world!

Comment

I dunno, Pzarq. British courses are so different from American ones that I think it's not at all surprising to say "I learned a lot" after that tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                        You know you have made it when you are 16 years old and you can fire someone!
                        I thought I read that the caddy was complaining because neither Michelle nor her father did the firing themselves?

Comment

Originally posted by luv2dive
                          I just hope she has had enough just trying to make cuts on the men's tour. I think it's starting to taint her image.
                          I'll respectfully disagree with that. I think golf fans around the planet are pulling for her to make the cut on the PGA tour, and I think her attempts to do that are doing nothing but good for the game of golf. Seen the TV ratings lately? Ever wonder why she gets offered all those Sponsors Exemptions?
                          Ka-CHING !!$!

She needs to learn how to win first.
                          All in due time. And in the meantime, nobody of any age, in any sport, has shown the consistency she has over the past year! What is it now... 10 top five finishes in her last 12 events? I'll take that any day over seeing her win once and place 26th the rest of the time.
                          She is a prodigy, and she is astounding.
                          And she is just a high school kid. Whipping adult long-time professionals.
                          Plenty of time to "win".

Comment

I thought I read that the caddy was complaining because neither Michelle nor her father did the firing themselves?
                            Nice catch Lika...

One must wonder how much this decision really was hers?

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                              Nice catch, Lika.
                              Do I get a cookie?

Comment

A 77 and 81 have Wie looking more and more out of place against men
                                Michelle Wie's admirable but still-unsuccessful attempts to become the first woman to make the cut on the PGA Tour in 61 years increasingly are taking on the look of folly, rather than soon-to-happen reality...

Golfers such as Chris DiMarco politely are trying to persuade her that she would be better off challenging LPGA golfers whenever she can - she can't get a full-time LPGA tour card for another one year-plus - rather than constantly coming up short against the men..."Does she deserve to be out here or does somebody who's put in time and effort more deserve that? I'd like to see her play more events her age, girls her age, and not only win but whip them by a lot," DiMarco said. "That's what breeds confidence and that's what Tiger (Woods) did and that's why Tiger is so good."

Comment

Working...
                                X