Gone Phishing in Hawaii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gone Phishing in Hawaii

Well, phishing success rates are near five percent, so the chances are obviously good enough.

In fact, these regionally targeted attacks (a.k.a. "puddle phishing") are a sign of the scammers getting more sophisticated. As I mentioned, they could send a million phishing messages purporting to be Bank of America, but BoA customers are used to this stuff and not everyone is a BoA member. Now, they're culling databases specifically for addresses in Hawaii, and sending Hawaii-specific phishing attacks.

Sure, not everyone is a HiTel FCU or Kauai FCU or First Hawaiian Bank customer... but already you might give their message more attention because it seems more likely to be legitimate to you as a Hawaii resident.

Comment

heheheh.

I got the Hickim FCU as well. I thought it was for my daughter. I called her up and said her account has been locked! She told me it was a "phishing attack and I got fooled!

Dang!

Make A.

Wea can I go for give Whack Whacks?

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
        In my inbox right now, simultaneous phishing attacks on Hawaiian Tel FCU, Honolulu FCU, and Hickam FCU. Suddenly, the islands are a pretty hot target for scammers.
        ...and getting hotter.

I received the following email this morning. All went to my primary email address, not the one I use for web purchases, subscriptions and registrations.
        • Kauai Community FCU Message
        • Hawaii State Federal CU Important Update
        • Hawaii State Federal CU Important Update
        • Pearl Harbor FCU Important UPDATE
        • Honolulu City & County Employees FCU Important
        • Pearl Harbor FCU Important UPDATE
        • Pearl Harbor FCU Important Notification
        • Honolulu City & County Employees FCU Important

Comment

I must have received 2930428342098374927834 Hawaii State FCU emails last week -- one even went to my work address, and that's an email that I only use for internal business stuff!

This morning I got the Pearl Harbor FCU email at my personal address for the first time.
          Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
          We're not here to mess around
          Boston, you know we love you madly
          Hear the crowd roar to your sound
          Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
          You know we couldn't live without you
          Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

I have gotten phishy e-mails from all the companies you all have mentioned above. Since I have never, ever had an account with any of these companies-and I don't live in Hawaii-I know them to be scams instantly. It just puzzles me since the e-mail address that I get these phishy e-mails are not registered at any Hawaii related sites I visit.
            Hawaii my love, I will see you soon

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
              I must have received 2930428342098374927834 Hawaii State FCU emails last week
              In one of my personal e-mail accounts, I've started getting HSFCU phish messages every day for the past week - of course, I'm not in Hawai`i, nor do I have an account there.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                In one of my personal e-mail accounts, I've started getting HSFCU phish messages every day for the past week - of course, I'm not in Hawai`i, nor do I have an account there.
                I don't have any account with a FCU, period!

I have a question regarding this phishing emails and gmail, though. In gmail, under More Options there's a button to press to report the email. I know that officials are doing their best to track these suckers down.

So I've been reporting them for a good month or so now, and it's just annoying. Should I keep on reporting them or should I just mark them as SPAM so it goes directly to my SPAM folder instead of my inbox?
                Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                We're not here to mess around
                Boston, you know we love you madly
                Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                You know we couldn't live without you
                Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Keep on reporting them. As these e-mails are probably coming from many
                  different zombie computers. It takes awhile to get them all shutdown.
                  Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                  The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                    I'm receiving up to 8 HSFCU emails per day. I have them filtered to the trash.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                      I'm receiving up to 8 HSFCU emails per day. I have them filtered to the trash.
                      depending on what Email program you are using... you can probably block all email that comes from that sender or it's domain.

Question Tutu... is this the same email that you used for your craigslist correspondence?

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
                        depending on what Email program you are using... you can probably block all email that comes from that sender or it's domain.
                        Spam Pal is your friend
                        The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
                          [...]Question Tutu... is this the same email that you used for your craigslist correspondence?
                          One is. It appears the bot (or whatever it's called) struck my web page where I have a bunch of aliases. The spam hit every alias! The email addy for my CL account is one of those aliases.

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
                            Spam Pal is your friend
                            It's Spam Pal for Windows!
                            I'm tutusue the mac matron!

Comment

Oops Aaron doesn't speak Mac, only Windows

Maybe this will help :

http://email.about.com/od/macspamfightingtools/
                              The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                                As long as those email addresses (amazon, paypal, ebay) are never actually displayed for general viewing, you should be fine.
                                I think should is the key word there …

After many years of experience using hundreds of addresses in dozens of domains in different ways the only certainty I have is there's no guarantee which ones will remain immune to phishing/spam/etc., including those never used for any correspondence or "displayed for general viewing". Just registering a domain or creating a webmail account is sometimes all it takes for spam to flow in their direction.

It's frustrating (and a bit disturbing privacy/security-wise) how even unused, intentionally heavily obfuscated addresses can so quickly and easily be vulnerable to becoming ongoing spam targets if they're in popular domains like gmail.com and yahoo.com. Contrast that with frequently used, common-word addresses in personal domains that are blessed to remain untainted by spam. And there's the peculiar randomness of relatively well-protected, infrequently used addresses mysteriously receiving just one or two spam messages.

It's safe to say there are no "private" or "secure" e-mail addresses on unencrypted public internets. For addresses to be usefully usable can also make them vulnerable to nefarious activity even when you've taken reasonable measures to protect them.

A general recommendation might be to avoid using addresses in popular domains for "sensitive" correspondence since those tend to be the easiest target of attack. But I know plenty of people with Gmail, et.al. accounts who've managed to be attack-free using addresses more exposed than any of mine. My luck ran out about a year ago. Before then I was receiving only a couple spam messages a month. Now it's approaching around a hundred a day for my active addresses/domains, including the credit union phishing discussed in this thread which is what brought me to this forum.

Comment

Working...
                                X