Windows 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7

So has anyone used Microsoft Windows 7 yet?

Re: Windows 7

It took about 4 hours to download and install the upgradeand although I am far from using all that it has to offer I like it. It combines a lot of things and also allows one to see a thumbnail of all your wndows. The media player incorporated all of my pictures, videos, and music from my iTunes into one and I don't know if that was available to me before but I like that. I still have to read more and find out what else I can do, but overall I think it isan improvement from Vista.

Comment

How can I find out if I'm eligible for and then how to download an upgrade of W7 for free on my new laptop currently w/Vista?

Everything I've heard about W7 is that it's what Vista should have been, and people are really happy with it.
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

I don't recall it being available for free. I purchasd mine online from CostCo and that beginning of the month and received it yesterday. I was at CostCo Iwilei today and they have three different versions available. If I recall correctly they run from $109 - $179.

Comment

I'm looking at a site (softsailor.com) after I googled (windows 7 free) and they are showing how to get it for free IF you bought a laptop/computer within a certain time frame, which I did. You have to prove you have Vista as it came when you bought the computer, maybe via the maker or reciept, or ?.
          Try - http://www.microsoft.com/windows/buy...de-option.aspx

The bidding wars on ebay so far are taking all W7 Home auctions past the $75 range.
          Last edited by Ron Whitfield; October 27, 2009, 05:00 PM.
          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
            I'm looking at a site (softsailor.com) after I googled (windows 7 free) and they are showing how to get it for free IF you bought a laptop/computer within a certain time frame, which I did. You have to prove you have Vista as it came when you bought the computer, maybe via the maker or reciept, or ?.
            Try - http://www.microsoft.com/windows/buy...de-option.aspx
            The service tag on a Dell computer may also be eligible for a Win7 upgrade. Their last few months of sales frequently included a free upgrade as part of the purchase.

I'll download it when Dell has it ready for us upgraders, but I'm going to give it six months or so to let everyone else finish the beta-testing. And yes, I know Win7's already been out there for a lot of beta-testing, but we've gone through the same cycle with just about everything since Win3.0.
            Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
            Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
            We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
            Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Anyone have problems running old programs or software (e.g. games) on W7?
              Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

I just got a flyer from Office Depot. From now til January 2, 2010 they will install an upgrade to Win 7 for free if you bring your computer in to them. It says its a $99.99 value so that would seem it really is free.
                "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                  I just got a flyer from Office Depot. From now til January 2, 2010 they will install an upgrade to Win 7 for free if you bring your computer in to them. It says its a $99.99 value so that would seem it really is free.
                  That sounds like it's just the work of installing the software that is free. I don't think they are giving away the actual software. That would be nice though.
                  What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

well, I was holding the flyer in my hand a few minutes before posting. Maybe you might like to just check with Office Depot? I mean, I don't need the software right now but others have asked about getting a free copy. Since the upgrade price IS $99.99 - well, it seems that just possibly this means its free.

I was merely passing along information I had received.
                    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I've been running Windows 7 RC since June and I love it. I call it "Vista Improved" or "Vista v2". It's a great improvement and combined with a SSHD you get speed you've never imagined. :-)
                      kiddori

Comment

Originally posted by StinkyTheGrump View Post
                        That sounds like it's just the work of installing the software that is free. I don't think they are giving away the actual software. That would be nice though.
                        http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Office....html?x=0&.v=1
                        "Customers who currently own a PC can upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium for only $119.99 or Windows 7 Professional for only $199.99."
                        "As part of the Windows 7 launch, Office Depot customers can take advantage of the following FREE deals" ... "Free Installation of Windows 7 no matter where a customer purchases the product"
                        It sounds as if Office Depot will sell the upgrade, and will install the upgrade for free (regardless of where it was bought). But is does not seem that they are offering the upgrade software for free.
                        Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

OK - youre right, I'm wrong. are you happy now?
                          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

OK - youre right, I'm wrong. are you happy now?
                            What the heck is that response for? So now if someone politely points out some information that is helpful to clarify a situation, it is deserved of a pi&& a&& response?
                            Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

did you even bother to call Office Depot? and PS - you weren't all that polite.
                              Last edited by anapuni808; October 31, 2009, 11:28 PM.
                              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Working...
                              X