Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Micronesian in Hawaii

I left Hawaii in 1997.

I was talking to a few people from Hawaii, and there seems to be a lot of discussion about "Micronesians." In Hawaii, people often joke and tease each other. It's part of the melting pot.

Long story short. There seems to be this negative feeling toward Micronesians, like the island is overrun, and changing the dynamics of the mix.

Yes, I know a few. A few are my friends. I left Hawaii in 97.

Was there an influx of new immigrants? Was there some kind of political change that lead to this? Or some U.S. ruling.

I've not kept up. Please keep this civil and educated.

Re: Micronesian in Hawaii

Never mind.
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

FastForward "2009 " oh, I forgot about the civil partoh well....
      bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Originally posted by oggboy View Post
        FastForward "2009 " oh, I forgot about the civil partoh well....
        heheheh.

And I'm da uneducated one.

Comment

Originally posted by cabanalane View Post
          Long story short. There seems to be this negative feeling toward Micronesians, .
          I have noticed and been wondering about the same exact thing. Any education and opinions would be appreciated, pls.!
          ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

From The Star Bulletin:
            "Many Micronesians come to Hawaii because they are survivors of our U.S. military detonation of 67 atomic and nuclear bombs. Just one bomb, the BRAVO blast, went 25 miles into the stratosphere and rained nuclear particles and residue throughout the Pacific; BRAVO was also 1,000 times stronger than the Hiroshima blast."
            http://www.starbulletin.com/editoria...onesians.html#

Like any other group, there's the good and the bad.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

soooo, I would think that the care that Micronesians need should come from the Fed government, right? After all, it was the Feds military that bombed their homes....?

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                soooo, I would think that the care that Micronesians need should come from the Fed government, right? After all, it was the Feds military that bombed their homes....?
                Information can be found:
                http://ec.europa.eu/europeaid/where/...ronesia_en.htm

http://www.answers.com/topic/federat...of-micronesia#

Hope this helps.

Comment

There seems to be this negative feeling toward Micronesians, like the island is overrun, and changing the dynamics of the mix.
                  There is probably not a P.C. way to discuss this, so I doubt that you will get the information you are seeking on a public forum. Even writing down the ... misperceptions... held by some would not be P.C., so the conversation cannot even be begun.
                  [And rightfully so, because listing supposed "bad" qualities about any ethnic, religous, or other group is not considered appropriate because it isn't right to do so.]
                  Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Ditto what Amati said.

If I didn't know Cabanalane, I would have sworn this thread was nothing more than flame bait. I mean, how is one supposed to maintain civility in a discussion about "negative feelings" towards an entire racial group?
                    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Long story short. There seems to be this negative feeling toward Micronesians, like the island is overrun, and changing the dynamics of the mix.
                      What are the negative stereotypes of Micronesians? Identify those. And then, don't do those things. You just have to be solutions oriented.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                        I mean, how is one supposed to maintain civility in a discussion about "negative feelings" towards an entire racial group?
                        The many discussions about haoles have been quite enlightening, speaking from that perspective.

Will anyone with a Micronesian background speak up? Exactly who is considered Micronesian? That would be a good place to start.

As far as the health care is concerned, after some research I have found that the feds promised to help the state of Hawaii with funding, and it is stated in federal agreements with Micronesia, but that has not happened from what I have read. So the state absorbs more cost with no assistance from Washington.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                          Ditto what Amati said.

If I didn't know Cabanalane, I would have sworn this thread was nothing more than flame bait.
                          Thank you. No my intention is not to flame. My point is, in 25 years of living in Hawaii, I have never heard of conversation that goes like this.

"XXXXXXXX,XXXXXXXX, it's because of the Micronesians."

I left in 1997. I didn't notice Micronesians were a big group to make any kind of impact for poeple to notice. If there was a large group newly arrived, what was the reason?

The links answered that.

Comment

Here is a great article from the Weekly.

Comment

thanks for posting that link, TG! That was very interesting, and a great resource.

Comment

Working...
                              X