Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ban New Years fireworks?

Originally posted by Amati View Post
    Yes, curse those asthmatic children and adults with emphysema! Can't they just suffer in silence while I shoot off my fireworks and have some fun??
    Snork!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Keoni Boy View Post
      Well thanks a lot foreigners from the US continent.
      Illegal fireworks is what makes Hawaii so great? Who knew?!

But speaking as a white boy fer'ner, no need to thank us if indeed we're responsible, we're happy to have made this improvement anywhere. But you can always come out to Kaaawa where it's plenty noisy tonite and enjoy the continued greatness of stupidity.
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
        I blame two groups: The folks with breathing difficulties and the black market.
        And I would add to that, the tragedy that occurred earlier this year in Waikele.

In fact, let me repeat what I said in a post back then.

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showpos...8&postcount=37

Setting aside the still-as-yet undetermined cause of what triggered the deadly explosion, the fact remains that the blast was generated by illegal fireworks seized by the authorities. AFAIAC, the blood of those 5 men are on the hands of the importers, distributors, sellers,... and yes, the customers of illegal fireworks.

I think the tragedy has bothered the conscience of many locals and has changed their attitudes re: illicit fireworks. The selfish arguments that fireworks proponents have used to defend their obnoxious behavior is something the greater public is less willing to tolerate as time marches on.
        Nothing much for me to add to that than this:

Robert Kevin Freeman
        Neil Sprankle
        Bryan Cabalce
        Justin Kelii
        Robert Leahey

R.I.P.
        Last edited by Frankie's Market; December 31, 2011, 08:26 PM.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
          And I would add to that, the tragedy that occurred earlier this year in Waikele.
          IIRC, the laws were already on the books. So I don't think it caused the laws to get passed, but it did help change the local mind-set to go along with those laws rather then "burn the evidence".

Frankly, I'm surprised that things didn't turn sooner when that woman died in a house fire from a skyrocket.

I think if more people had stuck with the legal stuff, there's a good chance the laws would not have been passed.

Comment

"AFAIAC, the blood of those 5 men are on the hands of the importers, distributors, sellers,... and yes, the customers of illegal fireworks."

Your concern is so distorted. The blood is on their own hands - unless they didn't know what they were handling. The way you assign blame, may as well put it on everyone excepting those most worthy.

The level of air pollution in my neck of the island is about 50% of it's 'before ban' concentration - not much of an improvement.
            May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
              The level of air pollution in my neck of the island is about 50% of it's 'before ban' concentration - not much of an improvement.
              Where's that? While there were a few, and I do mean a few fireworks, the only significant amount of smoke I saw was the Aloha Tower display.

All in all, it was darn quiet in the Honolulu area.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                AFAIAC, the blood of those 5 men are on the hands of the importers, distributors, sellers,... and yes, the customers of illegal fireworks.
                From what I've read, I'd assign half the responsibility to them.

The reports I heard/read indicated that they were working on the fireworks in the storage area. A big no-no because if anything goes wrong, it goes very wrong.

Either way, it did demonstrate how dangerous a stockpile of fireworks is.

Comment

Hooray for the Honolulu City Council! Thank you for successfully making this officially THE worst New Year's Eve ever. MAJOR BORE.

So glad they were able to keep those CRIMINAL children's sparklers and fountains off of the mean streets of Oahu. We'd hate to see anyone have some actual... fun.

From the looks of it, the entire city was in bed by 10 p.m. That is, except for the people shooting off all those aerial fireworks throughout town. I loved the beautiful display of illegal aerials lighting the skyline. Wait a second - I thought those were the REAL fire hazards. Glad to see them out in full force!

This entire law is a JOKE. The only thing it managed to accomplish was to put a major damper on New Year's Eve on the island of Oahu.

Comment

I have to say I agree! My neighbors were shooting off fireworks all nite and it was as it should be. Yes, it was noisy and Yes, it was not exactly what I would wish ----but it was what I expected and I wouldn't want it any different. They shot off their fireworks until midnite and now it is quiet. I didn't complain and they had fun. What is the harm in that? I really wish the mainland folks who just don't get it would just take their life styles and go back to the mainland and stop complaining about our ways of doing things.
                    Last edited by anapuni808; January 1, 2012, 02:44 AM.
                    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Myopic much?
                      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Keoni Boy View Post
                        This ban sucks. It will be the worst New Year's Eve ever. Hawaii is no longer Hawaii... ...Disgusting.
                        Sorry you're bummed about it. But your post is so full of bs and misplaced blame that it leaves you no credibility.
                        I think this is a topic that will always have supporters on both sides so I'll just agree to disagree.
                        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                          I really wish the mainland folks who just don't get it would just take their life styles and go back to the mainland and stop complaining about our ways of doing things.
                          Do you really believe it's just 'mainland' folks?
                          I know of many locals that aren't in to the personal use of fireworks.
                          Me being one.
                          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                            Sorry you're bummed about it. But your post is so full of bs and misplaced blame that it leaves you no credibility.
                            I think this is a topic that will always have supporters on both sides so I'll just agree to disagree.
                            Ditto from me on all counts. Also, note that Keoni Boy has been a member here for 5 1/2 years, but his two recent posts in this thread are the only ones he's ever posted. Interesting. [/shrug]

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Dudes, take your chill pills and just relax. whatever I may say on here is just not that important to bring out all this hostility! Happy New Year to you all.
                              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I was staying near Maunawili for NYE, and had A really nice time! I LOOOOOVE fireworks, but I appreciate that I didn't have to deal with those panic- inducing explosions all week long!! Some neighbors had lotsa firecrackers and minor "sparkly aerial things" in the street, and that was great. I could see the legal fireworks show by Kailua, and didn't have to cut thru smoke at 1am to find the apartment. Win! Bonus - the neighbors had all swept up that red paper debris from the street as soon as all their fireworks pau. Nice!
                                ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Working...
                                X