Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: KGMB - KHNL - KFVE "shared services agreement"

[...]
    Moderator's alternate link with no annoying SB pop up ads: http://www.starbulletin.com/business...ml?mobile=true
    Mel, is there a reason you amended someone else's post with this link and your editorial comment? Personally, I feel a separate post containing the same info would've been more appropriate, regardless of the 12 hour time difference between the original post and the added link. Just my opinion...

Comment

I have to give Dicus credit for being amongst the few KGMB staff to continue on a regular basis to writing a blog during the busy news transition, his latest thoughts:

http://kgmb9.com/howard/

Aj

Comment

KGMB News Sunrise is now simulcasting on KGMB KHNL. The newscast is being branded as "Hawaii News Now Sunrise".

The news crew for Sunrise is mostly the same.

The set is nice.

They are broadcasting in HD. I don't see that because I only have analog.

On Oceanic Cable HNL

KFVE - is on 5

KGMB - is on 7

KHNL - is on 8

Over the air it is different:

KGMB - is on 5.1

KFVE - is on 9.1

KHNL - remains on 13.1

My signal for all 3 OTA seems to be decent. No drop outs or anything. I'm in the middle of the Ala Moana area near the old KGMB TV studios. I am assuming the digital signals are now broadcasting from another location.

How is the OTA reception of KGMB / KHNL / KFVE on the neighbor islands and other locations on Oahu?

The online presence is at

http://hawaiinewsnow.com which resolves to http://www.khnl.com/.

http://kgmb9.com/ goes to http://www.khnl.com/

I note it is kind of funny about the "Hawaii New Snow" mentioned earlier in this thread.

A note on the simulcast:

When you watch KGMB the bug on the corner has the KGMB logo - when you watch the simulcast on KHNL, the bug on the corner is branded with KHNL.

They seemed to have dropped the KGMB9 monicker.

I think no one gets their KGMB signal on Channel 9 anymore.
        Last edited by mel; October 26, 2009, 06:23 AM. Reason: fix info
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
          How is the OTA reception of KGMB / KHNL / KFVE on the neighbor islands...?
          On Molokai (Kaunakakai Townside), KGMV is still 9.1 and KHNL is still 13.1. Can't catch KFVE so I'm assuming they haven't moved them from the low-powered station on Maui.

Keep you update on whether 9.1 here will broadcast MyNetworkTV programming or CBS.
          Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Whoa. So this is what it feels like to have free time? LOL.

The body doesn't just snap back to different times, so I still got sleepy at 7 this weekend, and woke up at 5 today. I watched Sunrise. Felt weird. They have always, and continue to put out, a great product. No ill will towards them. Still, to see them in our building with backgrounds that I recognize was... surreal.

I'd like to clarify that any less-than-positive feelings I have, any transition I've experienced so far, has zero to do with no longer being on TV, or having a high powered career. It was neat to have, but I don't validate my worth through those things. Remember, I was consciously planning to leave next year to be a full time mom.

For me, it has always been about the human element: the toxicity of a layoff environment, the feeling of being disrespected, neglected, abandoned, betrayed- on multiple levels, by multiple people or entities.

Then, Olivia got up at 7 and I was able to see her! Dress her! Feed her! Hug her a zillion times and kiss her! It was so, so, so awesome. Yay! KHNL who?
            Halekulani.com
            Waikikiparc.com
            SmallTalk.HonAdvBlogs.com

Comment

Grins. Diane, I like the new signature, particularly the exclamation point after "Full time wife and mom!"
              http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister View Post
                Grins. Diane, I like the new signature, particularly the exclamation point after "Full time wife and mom!"
                THanks!
                Your bio is HILARIOUS. I love good writing. This kind of forum might be dangerous for me too. Must... exercise... self...control!
                Halekulani.com
                Waikikiparc.com

Comment

Originally posted by Diane Ako View Post
                  I watched Sunrise. Felt weird. They have always, and continue to put out, a great product. No ill will towards them.
                  Diane, when I first read this part of your post, I didn't realize that you were referring to the television broadcast, "Sunrise."

I thought you meant that you got up to watch the sunrise this morning, and that you meant nature, regarding the producers of "a great product." I found that a very amusing perspective.

It works, you have to admit; and it's good that you harbor "no ill will" towards nature!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                    Diane, when I first read this part of your post, I didn't realize that you were referring to the television broadcast, "Sunrise."

I thought you meant that you got up to watch the sunrise this morning, and that you meant nature, regarding the producers of "a great product." I found that a very amusing perspective.

It works, you have to admit; and it's good that you harbor "no ill will" towards nature!
                    Funny!
                    Dear Nature, You really put out a great product. Thanks for that. Keep up the good work. I harbor no ill will towards you if it were cloudy today.
                    Love, Diane
                    Halekulani.com
                    Waikikiparc.com

Comment

So was it just MY TV that had an audio/video synchronization glitch? I don't have HD, but watch via digital cable and DVR'd "Sunrise" @ 4:30a and the 5a show. Wanna weigh in, either on-the-record or off? Pls. e-mail me. erika-at-starbulletin.com or gimme a call at 529-4303.
                      I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle View Post
                        So was it just MY TV that had an audio/video synchronization glitch? I don't have HD, but watch via digital cable and DVR'd "Sunrise" @ 4:30a and the 5a show.
                        I was watching from about 515- 545 and it looked fine to me. For non-newsies, "watching" always means channel surfing to see all newscasts!
                        Halekulani.com
                        Waikikiparc.com

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                          I have to give Dicus credit for being amongst the few KGMB staff to continue on a regular basis to writing a blog during the busy news transition, his latest thoughts:

http://kgmb9.com/howard/

Aj
                          My previous post makes no sense since at least for now the old KGMB website is gone, looks more like the KHNL website is the main default website for all the stations involved in the merger. They should go back to the former KGMB online presence as it was fairly good. I hope for now they are just working out the early kinks, otherwise it's not too good now. If it stays the same I wouldnt go back to their website whatsoever.

Aj

Comment

Tee hee. I don't remember the last time I watched a single newscast all the way through in real-time, because I too, do what Diane mentioned. ^.^
                            There was no way I was going to make it up at 4:30a (but then I figure that's why God made DVR/TiVO technology). I set up the DVR to record KGMB. Should have set it to record KHNL as well, for comparison's sake, but didn't think that through last night.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                              My previous post makes no sense since at least for now the old KGMB website is gone, looks more like the KHNL website is the main default website for all the stations involved in the merger. They should go back to the former KGMB online presence as it was fairly good. I hope for now they are just working out the early kinks, otherwise it's not too good now. If it stays the same I wouldnt go back to their website whatsoever.

Aj
                              The hawaiinewsnow.com URL they're plugging (and which I reported on last week) AS WELL AS kgmb.com and kgmb9.com redirect to the khnl site. I'm thinking they'll do more with the hawaiinewsnow.com URL that Raycom registered on Aug. 20, two days after the SSA news conference.
                              Last edited by Erika Engle; October 26, 2009, 09:16 AM. Reason: Added detail.

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle View Post
                                Should have set it to record KHNL as well, for comparison's sake, but didn't think that through last night.
                                There is no comparison - it's the exact same, except one small bit of the lower third says "KHNL" versus "KGMB." I didn't note any audio difference either.

And out of habit I kept going 2,4,8,9 - and then realizing 8 and 9 are now the same.

By the way, that habit irks the heck out of my husband. On a really big news day I'd stay on a channel for 3 seconds (literally) before checking the other channels. He would give up and go to the next room. He is hoping I will give that up now that I"m a civilan. LOL
                                Halekulani.com
                                Waikikiparc.com

Comment

Working...
                                X