X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The 2008 Presidential Elections - Chapter 3

Originally posted by LocalMotion View Post
    people are so afraid to agree with the "other" wing in a honest way. and all we hear is bashing, blah, blah, instead of constructive ideas.
    Okidokie, let's hear your constructive ideas. As Ross Perot said, "I'm all ears!"
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

LM, would you consider non partisan observers of the decades calling it like they've seen it, "blinded/hyper partisanship"?

I personally don't like either party, but I know the difference between getting punched in the mouth, from a knife repeatedly driven into my back.
      I'll take the former, at least that way it leaves me with a real fighting chance.

With this election, if Johnny Mc get's in, the Supreme Court will go even harder right and we can totally kiss the American way bye bye.
      It's only by extreme grace of luck that Bush hasn't had the oppotunity to get it completely that way during his 8 yr. reign of terror.
      As it turns out, this election will surpass the last as the most important in our lifetimes.
      Please America, don't blow it again!
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
        Sen. Obama pays a visit to enemy territory Bill O'Reilly - first part transcript here.
        And for those who would rather watch the interview, O’Reilly is airing it in several parts.

Click here for part 1.

Click here for part 2.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
        USA TODAY, page 2A
        11 March 1993

Comment

Please America, don't blow it again!

Sorry Ron. Blame, this year, lies squarely on the shoulders of the Democratic voters who could come up with nothing better than a freshman Senator, and has been lightning rod. The Dem leadership is chock full of good people. Yet none of them made it to the top of the pile.

The brutal truth is that both choices promote hand-wringing, which is the life blood of the party. Choosing not to win is seldom a good strategy.
          FutureNewsNetwork.com
          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post

To see what O'Reilly is really like when he thinks the camera isn't rolling, check this out!
            It's the hair or alcohol talking.

Comment

Putting Sarah Barracuda has energized and solidified the GOP base. But as more information comes out about her background, the more eyebrows it raises among the independents and moderates.

Already, McCain's campaign has lost much of the "experience" argument against Obama. Now, it appears that the "pastor problem" attacks used against Obama and Rev. Wright are also coming back to bite them in the okole. Seems that McCain's "thorough vetting" of his running mate didn't account for the kind of things that are taught and promoted in Palin's church.

http://www.startribune.com/politics/...7PQLanchO7DiUl

Though Wasilla Bible Church has made waves as well. Two weeks ago, a guest speaker, David Brickner -- a conservative Christian who condemns the Jewish faith and tries to convert its adherents through his Jews for Jesus ministry -- suggested that terrorism in Israel is God's judgment against Jews.

The McCain campaign has acknowledged that Palin was in the audience but said the governor did not know Brickner would be speaking and does not share his views.

My goodness! Palin was in the audience to hear that anti-Semitic sermon,.... and she decided to stick around to listen to it instead of walking out? Tsk tsk! And since McCain made Rev. Wright an issue in this campaign, he can't complain about Palin's religion and church being off-limits to the media, unless he wants to come off as a whining hypocrite.
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                It's the hair or alcohol talking.
                I know I've had times where I felt like that in the studio - but one of the very first rules for broadcasters is to never utter certain words or phrases when there is even the slightest possibility of an open mic and/or tape running. Shame on O'Reilly for forgetting his basic training.

Comment

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/polls/

But don't worry. Polls really don't mean anything.
                  FutureNewsNetwork.com
                  Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                    But don't worry. Polls really don't mean anything.
                    Whew! What a relief!

Comment

Tim, what on earth is with your freakish love affair with the silly and untrue phrase of 'handwringing' concerning Dems?

That anyone would simply care to have their country finally pull it's head out it's ass and start getting the important things correct and stop electing blatant liars with criminal and unAmerican no hope agenda's is mindless fretting to you?

I'm over 50 and have lived an awesome life, mostly by luck, and in spite of republican efforts to kill The American Way. But it would have been even greater had your political bunch never been allowed to contaminate this land.
                      I'd like to leave this world knowing that America stands a chance of getting it right, but with 50 million that think like you do, the chances are slim.

How old are you, and what makes you think republicans are anything other that the worst scum ever to pollute this planet?
                      I have the feeling you weren't old enuf during the Nixon years to appreciate how off truly evil and destructive their way of thinking is, and it seems you turn a blind eye to what they have been up to since.
                      Do you find it a joke to allow your country to commit suicide?
                      Your attitude is so common amongst those who would gleefully adore a third term for Bush, and I do not get it.

Clue me in, dude. What is so friggin great about those you support?
                      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                        Polls really don't mean anything.
                        But if they did......if the McCain/Palin ticket hadn't seen a big post-convention bump, that would be very worrisome.

A few days out, it's looking like the addition of Gov. Palin was a very smart move. It certainly seems to have brought many evangelical voters back to the GOP fold, ones that were originally disappointed in having Sen. McCain as their standard-bearer.

The questions I wonder about are: (1) how long the honeymoon with Gov. Palin will carry the ticket, or will voters realize by November that it's still Sen. McCain that they are voting for, and (2) will the revelations of falsehoods in statements made by Gov. Palin have any effect whatsoever in voters' minds?

So far, the answer to (2) is looking like "no." The only people upset are those who wouldn't have voted for her anyway; those who support the GOP ticket don't seem to give a rip about her reality, only her image. Much the same as people say about Sen. Obama.

Sadly, it looks like yet another election that's all about the show, not the substance. Pay no attention to the skeletons behind the curtain.

Comment

I've been thinking about the women at Pua'i's aerobics class, and comparing them with my liberal girlfriends here in Seattle. None of my friends were impressed with Palin's convention address at all. If anything, it only strengthened their support of Obama and their dislike of the Republican ticket of McCain/Palin. So I've been wondering why the difference between the 2 groups of women, and I think the issue is geography/sociology. I think local people in Hawaii, and probably more so for those on an outer island, appreciate the kind of small-town, no-nonsense folksiness Palin's demeanor and rhetoric portrayed; and the low blows she took at Obama really played to a populist theme that does well with liberals.

I'm not interested in playing the Dems v.s. Repub game with you all (since I think our country's screwed no matter who gets elected in November), but would love any comments/observations you have regarding this.
                          * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
                          - Anna Quindlen

Comment

But if they did......if the McCain/Palin ticket hadn't seen a big post-convention bump, that would be very worrisome.
                            If Tim was ever going to beat his chest like King Kong about the polls, now would be the time. Because after this week, the GOP convention bounce runs its course, then everything levels off. Where the candidates stand at that point, that will set the tone as to who is in the driver's seat.

My gut feeling? The national numbers are gonna be close all the way to election day. The popular vote may be closer still. Ultimately, the only thing that really matters is whoever gets 271 electoral votes, right?

The questions I wonder about are: (1) how long the honeymoon with Gov. Palin will carry the ticket, or will voters realize by November that it's still Sen. McCain that they are voting for, and (2) will the revelations of falsehoods in statements made by Gov. Palin have any effect whatsoever in voters' minds?

So far, the answer to (2) is looking like "no." The only people upset are those who wouldn't have voted for her anyway; those who support the GOP ticket don't seem to give a rip about her reality, only her image. Much the same as people say about Sen. Obama.
                            If I was only looking at the "would you vote for McCain or Obama" figures, I would have assumed the same thing too. But when you break down the numbers in some of these polls, it seems to reveal something else.

For example, let's consider the ABC News poll.

http://abcnews.go.com/PollingUnit/Po...5751238&page=1

Some of McCain's biggest gains in this ABC News/Washington Post poll are among white women, a group to which "hockey mom" Sarah Palin has notable appeal: Sixty-seven percent view her favorably and 58 percent say her selection makes them more confident in McCain's decision-making. Among those with children, Palin does better yet. And enthusiasm for McCain among his female supporters has soared.

White women have moved from 50-42 percent in Obama's favor before the conventions to 53-41 percent for McCain now, a 20-point shift in the margin that's one of the single biggest post-convention changes in voter preferences.

It appears that a big part of the wave the McCain campaign is now riding is due to this dramatic 20 point shift among white women. And we all know that Palin-mania is responsible for this phenomenom.

The GOP would love nothing more than to take this new-found level of support among white women to the bank. And if they can actually pull it off, McCain may have this election won on Nov. 4. But easier said than done. As the initial excitement and novelty wears off from Palin-mania, will the GOP ticket be able to hang onto this support? That remains to be seen. Will the majority of women still support Palin when they learn that she is opposed to abortion, even in cases of rape and incest? Will they still support the GOP ticket when they learn about their plans for their economy and how they stand on the kitchen-table issues? Ultimately, those things will decide how these women vote when they stand in the booth, not the hype and hoopla surrounding Palin right now.

One other thing: in the same poll's favorbility ratings, 58% view Palin as being favorable, compared to McCain's 59% and Obama's 58%. But what is telling is Palin's unfavorable rating, which is a very low 28%. In comparison, McCain and Obama are at 36%. This low unfavorability could be indicative of Palin's newness to the national stage. But if she continues on in the attack dog role that she has been playing since the GOP convention, her negatives will likely begin to climb, which might sway the moderates and independents who are currently leaning towards her.

These new poll numbers show that the Obama campaign has their work cut out for them over the next 56 days. But at the same time, it is way too early for the neocons to start celebrating just yet.
                            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                              Tim ... what makes you think republicans are anything other that the worst scum ever to pollute this planet? ... Your attitude is so common amongst those who would gleefully adore a third term for Bush, and I do not get it.
                              I realize you are directing your comments to Timkona, but I feel compelled to respond. What makes you assume that all Republicans support Bush or John McCain for that matter? I would submit to you that there are a great deal of Republicans who neither support his ideology nor plan to associate themselves with his campaign in any way, nor plan to vote for him.

I find it abhorrent that you continue to blanketly demonize Republicans for every ill on the planet that happens to come to mind. I don’t consider myself a Republican, and I am not a card-carrying member of any party. But fiscal responsibility and non-interventionism have only been ideals that have been meaningfully expressed in the Republican Party, particularly by those rare brave mavericks like Ron Paul. These are values that are important to me, and most educated voters.

The value of the U.S. dollar is far less the it once was, and in any case is not where it should be, considering America’s status in the world. We print new money freely without the gold standard to back it up, and as result inflation artificially skyrockets every year. The federal government continues to spend money at a breakneck pace to the tune of $9.6 trillion in debt. That’s a burden of over $31,000 for every U.S. citizen. This is a financial fiasco we can no longer ignore. Old people like yourself don’t give a rat’s @ss about the young people who will not only have to overcome this burden, they are paying current retirees’ social security checks while NONE will be there for them, because at the current rate, the SS system will be bankrupt by then.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                              USA TODAY, page 2A
                              11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                                I find it abhorrent that you continue to blanketly demonize Republicans ...
                                Speaking of blanketly demonizing:
                                Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                                Old people like yourself don’t give a rat’s @ss about ...

Comment

Working...
                                X