Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Who should be McCain's VP?

Originally posted by U'ilani View Post
    This presidential election never ceases to amaze.
    To me, it's the pettiness and (dare I say it spell it?) frivolity of so many Americans that never ceases to amaze (and disappoint) me.
    While I feel strongly that Palin is a horrible choice for VP, I completely fail to see how her teenage daughter's alleged pregnancy has anything whatsoever to do with the VP position.
    If Palin herself has skeletons in her closet, those are fair game.
    If a family member is a convicted axe murderer or child molester, that's newsworthy and pretty fair game.
    A teenage pregnancy? Pffffffffbt.
    Too many people try to make themselves feel superior by picking on and heralding the frailties of others.
    Sometimes humanity can be so inhumane.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by U'ilani View Post
      My guess is that she didn't learn of her daughter's pregnancy until her daughter was far along--and probably after that one photo was taken that makes it all rather clear (otherwise they wouldn't have allowed the daughter to be photographed up front with her belly in full view).
      This is all speculation at this point!!!!!!! You may be right about the mother not knowing. The daughter may have lied to Mom and the doctor didn't think to check for pregnancy and diagnosed as "mono" because it is kind of a catch all. But I am only speculating! The truth should come out fairly quickly.

However, the facts are:

1. that the daughter was taken out of high school sometime last fall on the pretext of having " contagious mono." Normally the recovery period for mono is 2 to 3 months. The daughter was out of school for over 5 months (some reports say that she didn't return to school at all this last year).

2. all family photos from the Alaska Government website have been mysteriously removed today.

3. Governor Palin flew home from Governors conference in Texas (an 8 hour flight with a stop over in Seattle) because she said her bag had broken and she was going into labor. Rather than "give birth" to a 1 month premature Down Syndrome baby in Anchorage (or even Dallas), where she landed, with modern facilities, she got in a car and drove more than hour to a hospital in a small village near her home town of Wasilla......where her daughter was.

4. People at the Governor's conference said Palin didn't look pregnant.

I honestly hope this story isn't true. If it is true, it has got to be one of the lowest and saddest points in American politics.
      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
        I honestly hope this story isn't true. If it is true, it has got to be one of the lowest and saddest points in American politics.
        WHAT?!?? I hope that your comment didn't come out the way you meant it to, because you're going to have to explain to me what the hell this story has to do with politics, much less be "one of the lowest and saddest points."
        I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and let you clarify your statement before I go into "pit bull" mode.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
          [...]
          Now there is a rumor that Palin’s fifth child (in itself a story because the infant has Down Syndrome) is not really hers. I must say it makes perfect sense. Very few 44-year-old women are still having kids, especially if they already have four and they happen to be busy running a state, as governor. No, according to several websites, the baby belongs to Palin’s 16-year-old daughter, Bristol, who was pulled out of school about five months before the baby was born. [...]
          I have such mixed emotions about this. First of all, if the rumor about Bristol turns out to be just that, a rumor..the damage to her has already been done. Pretty heavy stuff for a 16 year old.

Interesting video. There are times Palin looks pregnant and times she doesn't. My first thought was of Natalie Morales on The Today Show. Her bun is due out of the oven within the next couple of weeks. At 7 months I marveled at how "unpregnant" she looked. Only at certain angles could I tell. Now that she's about to deliver, she finally looks pregnant! Palin's size is of much less curiosity to me than the fact that she waited 'til she was 7 months along to say anything and this coincided with her daughter being out of school.

Must admit I have a problem with this statement from the link:
          In Sarah Palin’s defense here, if she did pretend the baby was hers, it is just a mother protecting her young daughter, and doing the right thing.
          Doing the right thing? I dunno. Should the accusation be true I just don't see lying about this situation as "doing the right thing".

It's more common today than a generation ago for women in their 40s to continue having children. Sorry, TuNnl, I don't have the time to search for cites. It didn't surprise me at all to learn that Palin had a baby at 44. It also didn't surprise me to learn of the baby's Down Syndrome as older mothers have a higher risk of this. While it's always sad, it's not all that unusual.

Yes, 44 year old, "steamy" <g> women still have "steamy" sex! If not careful, that can lead to pregnancy! And, Palin's stance is anti-abortion.

All I'm saying in this long winded, boring reply is that nothing about Palin's family surprised me or even caused me to raise one hair of one eyebrow! I saw them as a beautiful family with children of varied ages...altho' the 4th child appears to be the postscript, so why not have a 5th and try for another boy!

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
            I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and let you clarify your statement before I go into "pit bull" mode.
            Oh, my point is that any politician would put their political ambitions ahead of protecting vulnerable members of their family from public scrutiny....if the rumors are true. I hope they aren't. I'm sympathetic to the family, whether the story is true or false.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by Spin Dr. View Post
              I'm sorry, but how does "being in the spotlight" make him any more qualified than Gov. Palin? Because that should be what this is all about, shouldn't it?
              You are right. But how are voters supposed to make a determination in their minds about who is more qualified for office? Like it or not, national exposure and media scrutiny are the tools by which most voters use to educate themselves and to familiarize themselves with the candidates.

Hey, it works both ways. At the beginning of this year (and even into August), many polls say that people assumed that McCain would be a better Commander-in-Chief than Obama. Why? A big reason for the assumption was because the nation was much more familiar with the Arizona Senator, having previously run for President in 2000. And of course, McCain could say that he's been in Washington years longer than Obama.

Right now, Obama is in a very serious position to be elected the next President of the US, despite his relative newcomer status. But this position wasn't just handed to him, Spin Dr. If I may remind you, it took 19 months of campaigning, hard work, debates, and media scrutiny to get to this point where many people in this country feel that he has passed the threshold of being qualified to be President.

And you think that Sarah Palin can similarly pass this threshold in a mere 48 hours after being picked by McCain.

I don't think so!

This is not to say that Gov. Palin cannot be a competent vice-president or president. I'm not so close-minded as to make that conclusion just yet. But she has to make the case to the American public that she is ready to be this nation's Commander-in-Chief. And unlike Obama who had 19 months to make his case, Palin has about 65 days. But thems da breaks.
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Rumors are rumors until proven true. Just like the rumor started by Rove and Bush in 2000 that McCain's adopted daughter is actually his, conceived via an extra-marital affair he had with an African-American woman.

What bothers pople I think about Palin's child not being hers, rather it being her grandchild is the lying or hiding of the truth. It might not be anyone's business but people like to know the truth.

If the rumor is true, might cause an embarrassment to the family, but I don't think an end to her campaign as VP. Just fess up and tell the truth, people like honesty, might be a reason Clinton was eventually forgiven and Edwards might as well down the line.

Now if she is investigated for some ethics violation regarding the dismissal of her brother in law's boss, that is a different story. It shows an abuse of powers and also maybe she is a perfect running mate for McCain considering she obviously has a temper like he does to do things like that.

Aj

Comment

To me, it's the pettiness and (dare I say it spell it?) frivolity of so many Americans that never ceases to amaze (and disappoint) me.
                  While I feel strongly that Palin is a horrible choice for VP, I completely fail to see how her teenage daughter's alleged pregnancy has anything whatsoever to do with the VP position.
                  If Palin herself has skeletons in her closet, those are fair game.
                  If a family member is a convicted axe murderer or child molester, that's newsworthy and pretty fair game.
                  A teenage pregnancy? Pffffffffbt.
                  I found out about the rumor yesterday and didn't mention it here. But now that the cat is out of the bag,....

If the rumor is indeed false, then whoever started it is a real scumbag.

But *if* the rumor is true, then it cannot easily be dismissed as mere pettiness or treated as a frivolous tabloid story. Remember! We are talking about the chief executive of a state flat out lying to her constituents. Lying about her own health status is a very serious matter, as it could have a dramatic impact on her capacity to carry out the duties she has sworn to uphold.

If this turns out to be true, then Palin's candidacy is toast. No way would the American public entrust her with the 2nd (and possibly, the first!) most powerful job in the world to someone who would tell such a serious lie, even if it was to protect her daughter.
                  Last edited by Frankie's Market; August 30, 2008, 07:07 PM.
                  This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I do hope this rumor is a non-starter that will blow up in the face of the democraticunderground.com & Daily Kos folks who savour schadenfreude, but all points seem to lead to Bristol, sadly enough.

In the end, I don't think it will matter who wins this election. Our government officials and the voters lack the cajones to make the tough decisions to get our country fiscally solvent and the wisdom to use our military force responsibly and appropriately.
                    * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
                    - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Does anybody think congress should appropriate $65 million and appoint a special prosecutor to muck around in the Palin family's private life?

Comment

Sometimes humanity can be so inhumane.
                        Too true, but most of our species fail to accept it.
                        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                          Absolutely. But certainly, being in the spotlight is part of the qualification process. Palin has been under it for less than 48 hours, and already a currently ongoing scandal of hers has been brought to the forefront. Being the chief executive means you need to be able to make snap decisions under national scrutiny. And unless you are a national leader to begin with, hiding in a state that rarely makes headlines means you are a Panos Prevedouros in a Mufi Hannemann world. In short, Palin is literally a babe in the woods, and has yet to be under the microscope. The only national t.v. interview I know of that she made, was one in which she made a complete ass of herself.

Some on this message board have argued for a shorter campaign season. I scoff at these individuals. The point of a long campaign is to see whether a candidate is able to weather the storm under the pressure of the national spotlight. Only after months of vetting and critical evaluation do we see which individual has demonstrated the strength of character that having to appeal to a diverse an audience as the U.S.A. and worldwide, can we truly know for sure that we have a worthy president or vice president-elect. The fact that you question the importance of this Spin Dr., demonstrates how naïve and illiterate you are of national politics.
                          If you think being in the media spotlight makes someone more qualified to lead, then by all means, go ahead and vote that way. I'll wait until I can learn more about the candiates than whether they've been on TV and in the newspapers a lot before I decide to vote for them.

Comment

If you think being in the media spotlight makes someone more qualified to lead, then by all means, go ahead and vote that way. I'll wait until I can learn more about the candiates than whether they've been on TV and in the newspapers a lot before I decide to vote for them.
                            Hats off to you then, Spin Dr. If every voter was as inquisitive and curious about the candidates as you were, what a different world it would be.

But in the real world, so many people are busy working 2 or more jobs, have family obligations, etc. Voter turnout is low in many communities. If anyone is serious about wanting to be elected to a major office, he/she can't be complacent, sit on their hands, and expect all the voters to carry out their own research as to where all the candidates stand on the issues. One has to aggressive, actively campaign, advertise, meet people, attend public functions, fundraise, etc. If someone doesn't, they don't stand much of a chance of getting elected, particularly for a statewide/national office.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                              If this turns out to be true, then Palin's candidacy is toast. No way would the American public entrust her with the 2nd (and possibly, the first!) most powerful job in the world to someone who would tell such a serious lie, even if it was to protect her daughter.
                              With all due respect, this is absurd. This is not lying about her health, it's lying to protect her family from idiots who have no business knowing stuff like this, including me and you. Whether or not the lying is beneficial to the child(ren) involved is another matter, but we all know people who grew up thinking their biological mothers were really their biological siblings, and that their biological grandparents were really their parents. I don't know if this is good or bad; I know people who don't know this about themselves even in their early adulthood and I admit it concerns me, but even if these families run for public office, I don't see how this manner of child-raising has anything to do with their abilities to serve. Telling a lie to cover a shady business deal or a political deed is one thing; telling a lie to protect someone in your family, or telling a lie in a political arena about your sex life? Big deal. When we shouldn't be asking the questions in the first place, the lies are meaningless and we are guiltier of impropriety than the liars.

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
                              Does anybody think congress should appropriate $65 million and appoint a special prosecutor to muck around in the Palin family's private life?
                              This is exactly what I was thinking. Bill Clinton lied about sex and the GOP went so far as to make him only the second President ever impeached. Now here's a lie about the parenthood of a child in what appears to be a messy family situation. We all need to just chill. Politics is politics; family is family.
                              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I'll wait until I can learn more about the candiates than whether they've been on TV and in the newspapers a lot before I decide to vote for them.
                                And THAT is called the media spotlight.

Comment

Working...
                                X