Renewing driver license.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renewing driver license.

My wife made her first, unsuccessful attempt to renew her license today. Her problem was proving legal residence (though she's lived here, with driver's license, since 1971). We knew it was going to be involved, this time, so she took to the Satellite City Hall in Kaneohe: her birth certificate from Ishpeming Mich., her 1961 marriage license from New York documenting her first change of name, our 1968 marriage license from Ohio documenting her second change of name. It wasn't enough, because the clerk in Kaneohe claims the two marriage certificates are not state certified. What a pain. So now we have to get more documents from New York and Ohio.
    Greg

Re: Renewing driver license.

Originally posted by GregLee View Post
    My wife made her first, unsuccessful attempt to renew her license today. Her problem was proving legal residence (though she's lived here, with driver's license, since 1971). We knew it was going to be involved, this time,...
    So the drivers license she wishes to renew is from Hawaii though, right? Since '71.
    How about any bills or Hawaii State tax returns to an address in her name here? To prove residency.
    What is different that made you know it was going to be involved this time?

Just wondering...
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

I've got to renew mine early next year.
      My worry is my eyesight, I'm 50 and it ain't so good any more.
      Can see distance well, it's close-up (reading and possibly looking through the stupid/old DMV optical viewers) that I'm worried about.

Comment

Vote Libertarian.

OK, so we won't win... this time....

If we ever do, this nonsense will no longer be.
        Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
        ~ ~
        Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
        Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
        Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

From the Hawaii DMV site: How do I renew my license?
          You need to visit the nearest driver license station or designated satellite city hall (Fort Street Mall, Hawaii Kai, Windward City Shopping Center and Pearlridge) with your driver license and provide original documents that provide proof of identity, legal presence and social security number. Names must be the same on all documents. If you have a name change and the names on your documents are not the same, you must also submit the original document that verifies your name change. ( Marriage Certificate, Divorce Decree, Court Documents). You may renew 6 months before the license expiration date and have a grace period of 90 days after the license expiration date without penalty. A reactivation fee of $5 per 30 days or fraction thereof will be assessed after the 90 days.

From the Hawaii Dept. of Transportation site: Beginning on Monday, March 5, 2012, the state Department of Transportation (DOT) and all county driver license offices will implement Legal Presence Act mandated by Act 38, Session laws of Hawaii 2010, which will affect drivers licensing requirements statewide. Below is a full list of requirements and answers to frequently asked questions about the Legal Presence requirement.

Introduction

Effective March 5, 2012, anyone applying for an original or renewal of their Hawaii driver's license or permit must show proof of legal presence in the U.S.

Legal presence means that a person is either a U.S. citizen or is legally authorized to be in the United States.

Act 38, Session Laws of Hawaii 2010, prohibits the issuance of a Hawaii driver’s license to any person that is not legally in the United States and limits the term of the issued licenses only for the period that the applicant is temporarily authorized to be in the United States.

Legal presence requirements affect anyone applying for a Hawaii driver’s license, including U.S. citizens and foreign-born applicants, those applying for a learner's permit, and permit holders passing their road test to obtain a driver's license. Legal presence also applies to anyone who has just moved to Hawaii from another state or country, and anyone renewing their Hawaii driver’s license or permit.

Proof of legal presence will be required from:

■Applicants applying for an original Hawaii driver's license. Anyone who has never held or is re-applying for a Hawaii driver's license must provide proof of legal presence in the U.S. ■Applicants renewing their Hawaii driver's license. Anyone who renews their Hawaii driver's license must provide proof of legal presence in the U.S. Applicants who are U.S. citizens and aliens admitted for permanent residence status in the U.S. will need to provide proof of legal presence documents every second renewal.■Drivers reinstating their driving privilege because of a license revocation or cancellation.
          ■Customers whose license or permit to drive has been revoked or cancelled must provide proof of legal presence in the U.S.■Drivers who have allowed their license to expire. Anyone who lets his driver's license expire, even by just one day, must provide proof of legal presence in the U.S.■Permit holders when they pass their road test and obtain a Hawaii driver’s license. All permit holders must provide proof of legal presence in the U.S.■Drivers converting their Hawaii provisional driver’s license to a full driver’s license. All license holders who convert from a provisional to a full license must provide proof of legal presence in the U.S.

Proof of legal presence will NOT be required from:
          ■Applicants applying for a duplicate Hawaii driver’s license or permit.

Comment

This new documentation procedure was big news earlier this year with all the local media covering it. My license expires in 6 years and I've already started attempting to accumulate all the necessary paperwork. Good thing, too, 'cuz I've spent 6 months, so far, trying to get 2 of those docs, to no avail. Hopefully the procedure will loosen up before my 6 years are up!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
              What is different that made you know it was going to be involved this time?
              It's a stupid Homeland Security thing. The Feds think that they can find the terrorists by subtracting from everyone here the people that truly belong here. The rest must be illegal immigrants or terrorists. So they want everyone to have "papers" of some sort. To make a Hawaii driver license into a certification that you belong here, henceforth to get a license, you have to prove you're a legal US resident. Prove.

Or something like that -- don't take my word for the details.

If you've got an original, state certified birth certificate for your present name, your social security card, plus more ordinary id, you're probably okay. If you've changed your name, as is customary for married women, or you weren't born in the US, it can get complicated.

So, knowing this from some news articles, my wife anticipated the requirement for a birth certificate plus documents for the chain of name changes. But we weren't prepared for this requirement that documents be state certified. I didn't know that marriage certificates aren't necessarily state certified, so that you have to go back to the issuer and get another, more official version.
              Greg

Comment

If you've got an original, state certified birth certificate for your present name, your social security card, plus more ordinary id, you're probably okay.
                It'sust another Republican/birther Obama trap!
                ~ ~

Comment

I went in to the Kaneohe branch to renew mine a couple of weeks ago. Got there right when they opened and was third in line. I had a notarized copy of my birth certificate, my social security card, and of course my existing drivers license. That was all they needed, and I was out of there in about 15 minutes.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

her 1961 marriage license from New York documenting her first change of name, our 1968 marriage license from Ohio documenting her second change of name. It wasn't enough, because the clerk in Kaneohe claims the two marriage certificates are not state certified.
                    There is usually an official seal or stamp on state certified copies of documents. Otherwise, folks could just be submitting doctored-up photocopies.

Check with both the state and county that you need documents from. Sometimes it is faster to get the document from one entity than another if it is offered by both.

And sometimes it is faster to do it online vs mail, or vica versa.

Good luck. I'm with TutuSue, I did mine early to avoid the upcoming hassle. These new documentation rules are enough huhu for a new bride to NOT CHANGE HER NAME when she gets married!
                    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                      There is usually an official seal or stamp on state certified copies of documents.
                      The Kaneohe clerk was looking for a number on the documents. Apparently, state certified documents have numbers.
                      Greg

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                        I went in to the Kaneohe branch to renew mine a couple of weeks ago. Got there right when they opened and was third in line. I had a notarized copy of my birth certificate, my social security card, and of course my existing drivers license. That was all they needed, and I was out of there in about 15 minutes.
                        That's because you had no name change to deal with, unlike GregLee's wife, myself and so many women. What Amati said...this hassle is enough reason for a new bride to decide not to change her name.

MM...I wouldn't worry too much about your eyesight unless you're in the close to legally blind category...which it doesn't sound like you are. I've had the same sight issues as yours, for years. It's never caused a problem with testing. If you need to wear glasses, that will be noted on your license, iirc.

Comment

i must be weird: i didn't ace the vision test (couldn't make out the tiny print; i use reading glasses) so the worker said my car would have to have side mirrors (?!?!?!?); didn't say anything about wearing glasses!
                          525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                            How interesting. This is posted during the week you told the judge in the most recent of your continuing series of summary possession cases that you'd be in California. Moved yet? Same old same old.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                              These new documentation rules are enough huhu for a new bride to NOT CHANGE HER NAME when she gets married!
                              Lucky my wife. She didn't change her name!

Poor me. I did!
                              ~ ~

Comment

Working...
                              X