Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

Saw the 3-d version of Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter at the Windward Stadium 10 Theaters with a friend this morning.

Overall it is an average movie, there are some good parts about it as well as the bad parts to it. Interesting choice of an axe that Abraham Lincoln uses as the primary weapon against the vampires.

The bulk of the movie is set during the time that Abraham Lincoln is in Springfield, Illinois, he works in a store by day and hunts vampires at night and still finds the time to court Mary Todd.

Re: Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter (2012)
    Benjamin Walker, Dominic Cooper

They played the heck out of this movie’s trailer in the months leading up to its release, and my impression of the film’s thesis was that in addition to all the things Abraham Lincoln did in his celebrated life, he also hunted vampires, perhaps as a hobby or some kind of spiritual conviction. The vampire-hunting is a lot more involved than that: it is the defining force in his life, the thing that makes him all the things he will become, including the husband of Mary Todd, a politician, the parent of a dying son, the President of the United States, and the Great Emancipator. They are all directly related to his occupation as a vampire hunter. It’s a crazy assertion, but it’s at least no remake, sequel, reboot, or adaptation from a TV show.

Lincoln, you see, as a very young man intervenes on the beating of his friend, a black boy around the same age, by a slaver. This leads to Lincoln’s father losing his job, his mother falling ill and dying, and a few years later, his being beaten up by the guy responsible for all of it. When Lincoln learns that this man is a vampire, he trains as a vampire hunter so that he might someday get vengeance. As he advances in years, he continues to hunt vampires and to learn about their culture, which secretly dominates much of life in the United States. American vampires, it seems, feed on slaves because slaves aren’t considered people, and their deaths don’t create the kind of furor that might be stirred if the vampires fed on everyone else.

I saw Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter within a week of Snow White and the Huntsman, and it’s a toss-up between these two pictures for the best-looking movie of the year so far. The visuals in this film are very impressive, so good was it to look at that I almost didn’t care about the rest of the movie. I have a slight issue with the lighting (it’s too dim, even considering that much of the action takes place, appropriately, at night) and the pacing of the fight scenes, but those quibbles aside, there are some wow-inducing sequences, especially a jaw-dropping fight scene involving charging horses.

Although the plot is interesting enough, there seems to be a disconnect between the Lincoln who kicks undead butt and the Lincoln who loves a woman, has a small number of dear friends, and aspires to serve his nation. It would be tough to make the case that not enough of the movie focuses on Lincoln’s fights against vampires, but there just aren’t enough scenes that establish and support Lincoln’s relationships with other people. So while it’s cool to see the good guys win, it’s disappointingly not as rewarding to see him save the lives of friends or to work with his wife in the turning the tide in the war’s most celebrated battle. A little extra effort in the character-development department could have made this a truly affecting movie, something with the ingredients to become a cult favorite. Instead, it’s merely a visually impressive, somewhat entertaining action thriller, not much more memorable than most of the action thrillers that overpopulate the cinemas.

6/10 (IMDb rating)
    66/100 (Criticker rating)
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
    X