Mormon salesmen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mormon salesmen

Ian Lind writes about former Mormon missionaries turned door-to-door salesmen.

I ran into a couple of these guys this weekend while I was working on my yard. As I watched them come up the street, they looked for all the world like a couple of young Mormon "elders", except without the little black name badges on their shirts. But when they approached me they started in on a sales pitch instead of a sermon. I told them no, and they moved on to the next house. Exactly the same M.O. as when they were on mission.

Re: Mormon salesmen

Please don't send any more to England ! A few weeks ago I was lying in bed, awake but thinking about breakfast. I could almost taste the sausage. Then the doorbell rang. Yup you guessed,,,, two mormons with back packs full of pamphlets.
    Brit Navy Offshore language was spewed at them and I haven't seen them since.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
      Brit Navy Offshore language was spewed at them and I haven't seen them since.
      Barry, that's one way to do it, the other is to go to the door nude and invite them in. Ask them if they would care for some British sausage for breakfast.........I doubt that you would ever see them again!
      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

When I was 14, I was in a vicious car wreck. Two Mormon missionary kids came into the hospital to visit several times. No proselytizing, just hanging out. They're ok with me.

Comment

Jim, I agree with you, I was just having fun with Barry. When living in Tonga, I lost 40 pounds. I had trouble adapting to the local diet initally. A middle aged Mormon couple from the States came through our village one day and we had a nice conversation about everything except religion. We were all homesick. They were based out of Pago Pago. When they went back they sent us a CASE of Starkist tuna from Pago Pago. For me, it was like manna from heaven. No strings attached, just as lonely friends to lonely friends. I continue to have a soft spot for Mormons in my heart. But I would never become a Mormon. As Groucho Marx said, "I would never belong to a religion that would have me as a member."
          Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

These Mormon kids are out-hustling the local businesses. Good for them.
            Burl Burlingame
            "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
            honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Hustling is an apt word choice. The security alarm thing reeks of a scam. And that was certainly my sense when a Mormon-esque fellow came up to me in our driveway last week to try and sell me a system... insisting it was a time-sensitive deal, that he didn't have a business card or way to contact him, and oh by the way my neighbors just got burglarized.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                and oh by the way my neighbors just got burglarized.
                3 of our neighbors were burglarized 2 weeks ago....i think it's the same guy...they have this tracking device chingamathing online...you can track down a burglar...sorta like a neighborhood watch thingy, but on line so....we've been tracking this guy in a hummer for the past month or so who goes around from town to town burglarizing innocent people....you think this is the same guy?

oh yeah.....god bless the elders too
                stay forever young

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                  These Mormon kids are out-hustling the local businesses. Good for them.
                  Well, when you are able to offer a "too good to be true" kind of deal, should there be any wonder that these students are able to experience a level of sales success in door-to-door cold calling that a legitimate company would have a tough time matching?

Interesting. Art Hannemann (cousin of the mayor) heads the Hawaii operations of Utah-based Security One. Just the thing that the Mufster needs. A potential scandal and embarrassment involving his family, if Security One is not properly licensed to conduct business in this state and/or provides shoddy customer service.
                  Last edited by Frankie's Market; June 16, 2009, 06:59 PM.
                  This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Unfortunately a lot of Mormons have been suckers to pick up on these get rich quick schemes and scams. Years ago a local Mormon professor was busted for a ponzi scheme.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                      But I would never become a Mormon. As Groucho Marx said, "I would never belong to a religion that would have me as a member."
                      The Mormons subscribe to some interesting beliefs; but then, I'd say most religions, if not all, require followers to accept as true things that many would find implausible. What I do know, for sure, is that I've met a lot of really good Mormon people.

I guess I have a religion, but as far as I know, I'm the only follower. Many people have a unique perspective on what this is all about, independent of any collectively held belief system, so I imagine myself to be in good company.

Originally posted by mel View Post
                      Unfortunately a lot of Mormons have been suckers to pick up on these get rich quick schemes and scams. Years ago a local Mormon professor was busted for a ponzi scheme.
                      It's possible that Mormons are more susceptible to what you're describing than people of other faiths, or no faith; but I wouldn't make any bets on it. Your example of one Mormon professor, from "years ago", doesn't exactly establish a trend. It's kind of like the stuff about Irish being drinkers or Blacks having rhythm. I can't say those things are true or false, but it all smacks of stereotyping at a minimum and leads in the direction of less flattering orientations to people different from one's self. I'll conclude by suggesting you may be on "thin ice".

It reminds me of this somewhat frequently misquoted offering by Martin Niemoller:

"In Germany, they came first for the Communists, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Communist;
                      And then they came for the trade unionists, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a trade unionist;
                      And then they came for the Jews, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Jew;
                      And then... they came for me... And by that time there was no one left to speak up."
                      Last edited by Jim75; June 16, 2009, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                        [...]
                        Interesting. Art Hannemann (cousin of the mayor) heads the Hawaii operations of Utah-based Security One. Just the thing that the Mufster needs. A potential scandal and embarrassment involving his family, if Security One is not properly licensed to conduct business in this state and/or provides shoddy customer service.
                        Plus, the business name "Security One" was already registered in Hawaii and in business prior to the Utah based Security One. The home which I house sit has had a Security One sign in front of their home for the 15 years I've been working there.
                        Originally posted by Jim75 View Post
                        The Mormons subscribe to some interesting beliefs; but then, I'd say most religions, if not all, require followers to accept as true things that many would find implausible. What I do know, for sure, is that I've met a lot of really good Mormon people.
                        I have a fairly large family (cousins, their kids and grandkids) and the Mormon side (by marriage) is my favorite. Wonderful family values.
                        I guess I have a religion, but as far as I know, I'm the only follower. Many people have a unique perspective on what this is all about, independent of any collectively held belief system, so I imagine myself to be in good company.[...]
                        Yay! Someone else who shares my faith!!! I find faith to be a very private, intimate matter. And, for me, it's not a one day a week, one hour devotion of time. It's a daily practice. While there are times I enjoy the commeraderie and unity that occurs during a church sermon, I really prefer to share my beliefs only with the higher power in which I believe. One-on-one, li'dat!

Comment

Google Kolob

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
                            Google Kolob
                            interesting.......K'den

Comment

Originally posted by Jim75 View Post
                              It's possible that Mormons are more susceptible to what you're describing than people of other faiths, or no faith; but I wouldn't make any bets on it. Your example of one Mormon professor, from "years ago", doesn't exactly establish a trend. It's kind of like the stuff about Irish being drinkers or Blacks having rhythm. I can't say those things are true or false, but it all smacks of stereotyping at a minimum and leads in the direction of less flattering orientations to people different from one's self. I'll conclude by suggesting you may be on "thin ice".
                              Whatever....

I know Mormon people who are good people like everyone else.

However having been around some of them in my past life, several back then including the professor have been gullible to get rich quick schemes, multi-level marketing and whatever else. Prestige, Amway, Mellaluca, Herbalife, survival foods, etc. are ventures that I have associated with Mormons. Not all of these firms are bad, but some are questionable... a few have come and gone, and a few people have been financially burned in the past.

Mormons are not bad people, in fact most of them are good people and many are outstanding citizens in the community.

However like any other group, religious or not, there are some questionable and bad eggs among the bunch.
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                              X