Palin Stepping Down As Governor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Palin Stepping Down As Governor

Lots of things being said here. Some of it relevant. Much of it, less so. I've just got one comment to this.

Originally posted by matapule View Post
    7. The Courts have traditionally not been supportive of politicians who claim defamatiom. If you are in politics, you become fair game for all kinds of constitionally protected insults and slander.
    So you claim. But despite what you say, politicians have filed suits against bloggers in the past. The suits have not always been unsuccessful. But there are others that achieve the goal of having the offending blog shut down. Just a couple of months ago, a former candidate for the Virginia Lt. Governor's office (Pat Edmondson) filed a suit against a blogger.

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/04/lt-g...cts-house-race

From the outset, Edmonson's entry into the Democratic lieutenant governor race was viewed quizzically in some political circles.

Things took a turn toward the weird when an unidentified blogger began an e-mail and Web-based attack on Edmonson, questioning the candidate's sexuality, criticizing her appearance, referencing her African American husband in racial terms and offering derogatory assessments of her campaign staff.

Edmonson filed a lawsuit seeking to shut down the blog, which was recently removed by the host company.

Indeed, the Stop Pat Edmondson blog now stands defunct.

http://stoppatedmonson.blogspot.com/

Now, I'm no fan of Sarah Palin. But I thought I'd let you know that bloggers are not immune from responsibility in spreading rumors they cannot substantiate, just because their target is a politician or a public figure. Of course, Sarah Palin has a much greater profile than does Pat Edmondson and as a result, Palin is the target of innumberable attacks each and every day. But that fact doesn't prevent Palin from being able to file suits against particular people and stories she wants to go after. Whether she can actually prevail in this case, that remains to be seen.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
      So you claim. But despite what you say, politicians have filed suits against bloggers in the past.
      Rick, you are mixing guavas and pineapples. I have said the courts have not been kind to politician's suits alleging defamation. The Blog you cited was an anonymous blog. The plaintiff said they would drop the suit as soon as the anonymous blogger was identified. The blog was deleted before it ever went to trial, rather than identify the blogger. The suit never went to trial.

Shannyn Moore is very open with her blog. You can see her picture, she gives a personal e-mail address, she is a HuffPost blogger, and she has a popular raido program in Alaska. She has begged Palin to sue her. It will never happen. I, and many other people, will contribute to her defense fund. But she isn't going to need a defense fund because attorneys are lining up to take this case pro bono.

In my opinion, Palin is an idiot bully, so sue me! It goes back to her high school days when her classmates labeled her "Sara Barricuda." It wasn't meant as a compliment. I think she has a role in Iran's ruling theocracy. Her management style and philosophy will fit in well there.
      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Rick, you are mixing guavas and pineapples. I have said the courts have not been kind to politician's suits alleging defamation. The Blog you cited was an anonymous blog.
        First of all, my name is not Rick.

There is a difference between the two situations, true. But just because a blogger reveals their true identity,..... does that fact alone suddenly make defamatory and libelous content "okay" in the eyes of the law? I dunno 'bout dat.

And before anyone jumps into the fray with less than a full grasp of the facts here, let me just state that I am not saying that blogger Shannyn Moore is guilty of libel and defamation in this case. I'm just pointing out that libel is libel, whether it comes from an anonymous source or from an established byline.

Guavas and pineapples? The comparison is more like strawberry guava and cherry guava, if you ask me.

And I continue to stand behind what I said earlier. One needs to be careful about spreading rumors online that cannot be substantiated. The target being a politician doesn't suddenly make libelous/defamatory content okay. However small or remote the chances may be for legal action to be taken, the possibility is still there.

Truth is a defense against libel. And if there were indications that Palin is, in fact, the target of a federal investigation, I wouldn't have said anything here. But FBI special agent Eric Gonzalez denies rumors that his ageny is investigating her.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...,7018263.story

Despite rumors of a looming controversy after the Republican governor's surprise announcement Friday that she would leave office this month, some of them published in the blogosphere, the FBI's Alaska spokesman said the bureau had no investigation into Palin for her activities as governor, as mayor or in any other capacity.

"There is absolutely no truth to those rumors that we're investigating her or getting ready to indict her," Special Agent Eric Gonzalez said in a phone interview Saturday. "It's just not true." He added that there was "no wiggle room" in his comments for any kind of inquiry.

That's a pretty strong and clear denial, coming from an FBI spokesperson who has revealed his true identity. In the meantime, what do bloggers like Moore and Geoffrey Dunn have to refute that statement? Speculation and rumors? All of it from unnamed sources?

If using the disclaimer of something being "speculation" or "rumor" is a 100% guaranteed defense against libel, then no libel/defamation suit would be successful. Any defendant who was painted into a corner when asked for "da beef" would then say it was all speculation/rumor, and then walk away scot-free. But in real life, it's not always that simple.

In my opinion, Palin is an idiot bully, so sue me! It goes back to her high school days when her classmates labeled her "Sara Barricuda." It wasn't meant as a compliment.
        Of that, I agree with you.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Palin has her own official column here:

http://www.gov.state.ak.us/exec-column.php

Does she write her own material? This column sounds pretty much the same as the way she talked during the campaign. And people in Alaska elected her! Amazing.

Comment

I'm just pointing out that libel is libel, whether it comes from an anonymous source or from an established byline.
            Actually, it isn't that simple. "Libel" is a legal definition, and varies from judgment to judgment; there is no catch-all definition.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
              Palin has her own official column here:

http://www.gov.state.ak.us/exec-column.php

Does she write her own material? This column sounds pretty much the same as the way she talked during the campaign. And people in Alaska elected her! Amazing.
              It was an interesting phenomenon of this past election that being articulate and appearing intelligent were re-framed by some as being elitist and dumbing down one's style of communication was seen by some as a viable way of making the voters think the candidates were just like the voters. Ignoring the fact that that's horribly insulting to the voters. But some voters did seem to like it. I personally do not want political leaders who are just like me. I want them to be much smarter and much better than I am. But, for example, the Joe the Plumber thing for a guy who was neither named Joe nor a plumber. But he got more than his 15 minutes of fame from being touted as the "everyman" who makes up America. I suspect that Palin actually is intelligent but deliberately emphasizes certain mannerisms and speaking tics as a political strategy.

matapule: If, in real life, anyone mentioning in public that there was speculation that someone else was under investigation (as opposed to holding out as fact that the person was under investigation or, worse, as fact that the person did something illegal that merits investigation) could be held liable for libel, we'd have about 70% less "news" in the media including the coverage of Michael Jackson's death. Not that that would be a bad thing
              Last edited by Adri; July 5, 2009, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Lets TRY to remember some of the slanderous allegations floated against President and Mrs. Clinton: they killed Vince Foster, Mrs. Clinton didn't care about the Monica affair because she was a lesbian carrying on a torrid love affair with her coke supplier, Mr. Clinton orchestrated coke smuggling as gov. of Arkansas, and a pastor on the so called Christian radio station in LA, KBRT (K-Bright, isn't that cute?) said that President Clinton and Janet Reno were responsible for the Oklahoma City federal building bombing--with no retraction or apology, by the way. I am sure I have left some out. All floated under the protection of "free speech". I even remember some of the so called responsible news networks reporting such allegations, granted- just as allegations, but still giving them circulation. So when you hear that President Obama does not have a real birth certificate or that he was not born in the US, or hear wackos screaming for blood at Palin rallies, consider the source. I do not think it does this society any good at all to put mass media in the hands of people who can only be described as certifiable nut cases, delusional, totally absorbed and blinded by their irrational hate.

Comment

Why we make bad voting choices.

And to think something like 46% of the electorate of the US thought she was qualified to be VPOTUS. Scary ..........and that's the truth!
                  Wow, truth is it sure was scary, but I'd question your statement regarding the thoughts of the 46%.

In the past two presidential elections a significant amount of voting was not "for" a candidate but against the opposing candidate. I read post-election polls 4 years ago which indicated that many people who voted for "W" did so because they were more afraid of Kerry becoming president.

In this last election there was a lot of 'racially motivated' voting, and I would guess that a significant number of those who use such criteria to decide their vote probably wouldn't even give a second thought to the qualifications of the VP (or lack thereof).

What is really scary is that so many votes are cast lacking adequate knowledge of any of the candidates.
                  Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                  ~ ~
                  Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                  Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                  Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Guavas and pineapples? The comparison is more like strawberry guava and cherry guava, if you ask me.
                    Cherry guava?! Sounds delectable. Who makes that, Aloha Maid™ or Hawaiian Sun™? Or maybe Meadow Gold®? I must have missed that one, but please do tell.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                    USA TODAY, page 2A
                    11 March 1993

Comment

Cherry guava?!
                      Ché Guevara?
                      Maybe only available in Cuba and South or Central America?
                      Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                      ~ ~
                      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Two things.
                        First, a CNN.com poll from moments ago:

Should Sarah Palin run for political office again?

Yes... 21%... 47,074

No... 79%... 175,639

Total Votes: 222,713

Secondly, I've been meaning to ask if any of you saw David Letterman's monologue last week where he was saying something about Tina Fey's impressions of Sarah Palin. Letterman said "Well, now Tina Fey will have to do impressions of the Governor of Hawaii."

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                          Secondly, I've been meaning to ask if any of you saw David Letterman's monologue last week where he was saying something about Tina Fey's impressions of Sarah Palin. Letterman said "Well, now Tina Fey will have to do impressions of the Governor of Hawaii."
                          Ummm.

There's just no way to respond to that statement without getting egg in my face.

Wait a minute, there is.

Will Ferrell makes a better impression of Linda Lingle.

*ducks fo' kavah*
                          Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                            Will Ferrell makes a better impression of Linda Lingle.
                            Will Ferrell played Janet Reno on SNL.

Comment

hi i'll respond to this thread without sharing my thought's on this subject.

sp as i remembered stepped down as gov knowing she'd first be then running for pres jmccain's running mate as vp and i saw this as a good step only when they lost,i felt for sp and then i learned on tv that she'd be making a run against pres o in 2012 and if sp does,everyone here know's my thought's who'd i vote for.

i wont go any further.

well thank's for your time

Comment

Originally posted by sansei View Post
                                i wont go any further.
                                Blessed Be. I'm going to hold you to your word, s.
                                Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Working...
                                X