Night Clubs from the Past

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Night Clubs on Maui

Are any of you folks up to date on Maui's club scene? OGGBoy?

Is Hapa's in Kihei still THE place to be on a Saturday night? Post edit: Never mind. I see by their website that they're temporarily closed pending a relocation.

How about Casanova's in Makawao? Still the place to be on Wednesday "ladies' night"?

When my friend lived in Maui in early 90's, the place to go was Tsunami's at the Grand Wailea. Apparently after too many fights and other problems, they changed the dress code. So the locals stopped going. Da' Maui braddahs and sistahs are notoriously casual, laid back folks. lol

When we attended Halloween "Mardi Gras" on Front Street back in 2001, Maui Brews looked like the place to be.

Back when my girlfriend was in college at MCC, Sal's Place was the place to be on a Saturday.
    Last edited by Pomai; April 6, 2008, 12:05 PM. Reason: Hapa's is closed
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

• Re: Night Clubs from the Past

Two more clubs come to mind. RUSSELL'S ROWBOAT on Kalakaua and McCully. SHIPWRECK KELLY'S on Lewers.

Comment

Originally posted by PearlCityMike View Post
        Jilly's was the place that seemed to have a lot of fights. The per capita of scraps there per times I went was something like 98.2%. Now, every time I hear a celebrity on the news having a bar altercation I picture the inside of Jilly's!
        Mike i was there every Friday and Saturday night in 79. I remember John Boone the resident DJ, and George before him. I think the doorman was Kimo, i could be wrong. I only lived in Hawaii from 1977-1980 then back to New York City, can you please help me with this info? What was the hotel where Jillys was located in? When did the doors close?

Comment

Originally posted by PearlCityMike View Post
          Cilly's - Hyatt Regency: Only went about 10 times total.
          you know, i read right through this before & never batted an eye. i remember cilly's being here, not that the hyatt.
          superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by kanahina View Post
            T-Bone sure is popular!

I doubt you know me - I was just a groupie ...
            But, here's a pic of me, my friend, and T-Bone's old girlfriend (also from back in the day!):
            Kanahina YOUR GORGEOUS!

Comment

• Re: Night Clubs on Maui

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
              Is Hapa's in Kihei still THE place to be on a Saturday night? Post edit: Never mind. I see by their website that they're temporarily closed pending a relocation.
              If you're in Kihei on a Saturday night, the place to go is SOMEWHERE OUTSIDE KIHEI.

Man, something about that town gives me the oojies.
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Forbidden City . . . near mauka / Diamond Head corner of Kalakaua and Kapiolani. Well, it was a night club from the past, truss me.
                Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

Originally posted by Palama Kid View Post
                  Forbidden City . . . near mauka / Diamond Head corner of Kalakaua and Kapiolani. Well, it was a night club from the past, truss me.
                  Well ya know after a few drinks anything can start looking like a night club
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Palama Kid View Post
                    Right behind LIPPY ESPINDA'S gas station and used car lot. SHAKA, BRADDAH!

Comment

Originally posted by Chala View Post
                      Kanahina YOUR GORGEOUS!
                      Nah, I'm the one on the far left, you must be referring to my friend in the middle or on the right...
                      I'd rather be ... LOST

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kanahina View Post
                        Nah, I'm the one on the far left, you must be referring to my friend in the middle or on the right...
                        No sweety i know exactly where you were in the photo, and i say again, Your BEAUTIFUL! Makes me smack myself for leaving that beautiful State.

Comment

Kanahina maybe you can help me gorgeous, i am looking to see if anyone remembers Jillys Disco i went there in 1979 and 1980, (i know showing my age) it was in the lobby of some hotel. I remember parking at Fort DeRussy parking lot then taking a short walk. Trying to find out when it closed and the exact hotel it was in. Any idea you or anyone out there?

Comment

It was called "Jilly's at the reef Hotel" but I don't know what reef hotel or where it was. I am continuing to google though. Apparently their is only one Reef Hotel on Oahu, Reef Hotel. 2169 Kalia Rd. Oahu, Hawaii 808/923-3111 I called them up the receptionist thought I was ancient. Telling me that nobody on staff was over the age of 30, leaving them at an age of 1 year old when I was going to Jilly's. I was calling long distance 6000 miles away from NYC and the receptionist was kind rude to me...lol...go figure that's not how I remember this beautiful state.

I even got a phone number for a restaurant in the lobby that might be where Jilly's reside. 808-922-2887 don't know the name of it though. Hopefully Kanahina, Pearl City Mike or someone can assist me.
                            Last edited by Chala; May 5, 2008, 10:50 PM. Reason: Adding Info

Comment

Jilly's was on Lewers street and was known for some good beefs.
                              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                                Jilly's was on Lewers street and was known for some good beefs.
                                Thats not how i remember it. Maybe it got that way later after i left. Or they changed locations. I don't remember Lewers street. It was in a lobby of a hotel i think the Reef which is on Kalia rd i think. Can i get more details please?

Comment

Working...
                                X