"Why is there no Kahlua in kalua pork?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Why is there no Kahlua in kalua pork?"

This is a cute, you gotta smile story. I am the food editor of a website dedicated to people who used to live in Hawaii but who now live on the Mainland. I get all kinds of requests for assistance with "luau" and local food recipes from people who obviously have a love for Hawai'i but either haven't visited or lived there or who were oblivious to the things around them while they were in Hawai'i.

Today I got a request that really floored me. This woman wrote saying she was planning to have a Hawaiian luau for her husband's birthday, and she found some recipes for "kahula pork" but she couldn't understand why none of the recipes had "kahula" as an ingredient!

Hmmm...coffee flavored smoked pork. I guess if they can cook steak with coffee grounds on them, then Kahlua liqueur-infused pork might just work!

Miulang
    Last edited by Miulang; July 6, 2006, 12:14 PM.
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: "Why is there no Kahlua in kalua pork?"

Brings to mind that other venerable question: "How come there isn't any salmon in this lomi"? Hence the term for the budget version better known as "Lomi Tomato".

Kahlua-infused pork sounds interesting.. perhaps served on a Krispy Kreme (or Komoda store) donut sliced in half.. savory-earthy-sweet.. hey, might work!
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

If there's such a thing as honey-glazed ham, why not Kahlua pork?
      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
        Kahlua-infused pork sounds interesting.. perhaps served on a Krispy Kreme (or Komoda store) donut sliced in half.. savory-earthy-sweet.. hey, might work!
        Not a malasada this time? What, no kahlua pork slidah?
        Last edited by Lei K; July 6, 2006, 01:15 PM.
        I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

I've had kalua pig on the brain since driving for miles on the freeway this morning behind a pick-up truck that's obviously set up for pig hunting. How'd I know that? Heh. There was one BIG dead pig strapped to the top of a 'cage', for all the freeway world to see. The hunting dogs were in the cage. And, one of the hunters was also in the bed of the truck, sound asleep sitting up! Poor dogs. They must've been beside themselves with the scent of the pig so close yet so far away!!! Luau anyone?

Ya know...kahlua infused pork, or a kahlua based glaze, sounds kinda good. Regardless, kahlua is my cough medicine of choice!

Comment

Here's an idea...

Layer a dish with three different items:

First layer: Kahlua Coffee Liquer-infused Pork
            Second layer: Amaretto Almond Liquer-infused Mahimahi (or Monchong!)
            Third layer:Bailey's Irish Creme Liquer-infused Chicken

Name it "Da B-52"

I've had a dish similar to that at Sam Choy's Kapahulu, but it was different fish only.
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Here's an idea...

Layer a dish with three different items:

First layer: Kahlua Coffee Liquer-infused Pork
              Second layer: Amaretto Almond Liquer-infused Mahimahi (or Monchong!)
              Third layer:Bailey's Irish Creme Liquer-infused Chicken

Name it "Da B-52"

I've had a dish similar to that at Sam Choy's Kapahulu, but it was different fish only.
              Or "Puamahichick"! (along the lines of "turducken")!

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I remember seeing the turducken on the Food Network during the holidays. Looked... interesting!

And Pomai, your food ideas never fail to amaze or amuse me, sometimes both!
                I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Or horrify.
                  http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
                    Or horrify.
                    Hey! I resemble that remark.

C'mon, admit it. A dish based on a shot could be quite interesting, "amusing, amazing" and tasty!

Miulang, I dunno' about that "Puamahichick" name. Sounds like some post-1am River St. $5 drag queen.
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

[...]Miulang, I dunno' about that "Puamahichick" name. Sounds like some post-1am River St. $5 drag queen.
                      There goes my Coke! So much for my keyboard, monitor and lap!

Comment

Miulang, I dunno' about that "Puamahichick" name. Sounds like some post-1am River St. $5 drag queen.
                        Hey! Don't talk bout my girls lil' dat!

Da nerve. You forgot to pay up afta da date!

Auntie Lynn of Chinatown
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

No worry Aunty. Puamahichick gave me 'her' business card. 'She' even has a G.E. license, D.B.A. "B-52 Chicks". I'm not sure if 'she' claims, though. $5 date can't go wrong!

Sorry Tutusue that you ruined your keyboard & monitor for the day. Clean off the soda thoroughly then hang it out in that beautiful Makaha Beach sun to dry and it should be alright.
                          Last edited by Pomai; July 8, 2006, 09:56 AM. Reason: PC
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Ho da... price gone up since da Glades days eh?!

Comment

Wouldn't who you're describing be "puamahUchickie"?

Miulang

Comment

Working...
                              X