"Why is there no Kahlua in kalua pork?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Why is there no Kahlua in kalua pork?"

I've never tried the recipe, but I remember seeing a recipe for Kalua Pig you can make in your own oven (sted a backyard puka) on one of those bill monthly bill inserts.

I bet it's posted on the recipe pages at www.heco.com ... or possibly among the Electric Kitchen "files" at www.starbulletin.com.

I don't remember if the recipe called for ti leaves, (for wrapping), which are easy for us to find here at home but maybe not so easy for mainlanders. However, it seems to me that banana leaves have been gaining in popularity and availability -- like at Asian markets on the mainland -- so that might be an option.

Den again, e'r-body get foil, eh?
    I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle
      I've never tried the recipe, but I remember seeing a recipe for Kalua Pig you can make in your own oven (sted a backyard puka) on one of those bill monthly bill inserts.

I bet it's posted on the recipe pages at www.heco.com ... or possibly among the Electric Kitchen "files" at www.starbulletin.com.

I don't remember if the recipe called for ti leaves, (for wrapping), which are easy for us to find here at home but maybe not so easy for mainlanders. However, it seems to me that banana leaves have been gaining in popularity and availability -- like at Asian markets on the mainland -- so that might be an option.

Den again, e'r-body get foil, eh?
      Yes, we make oven kalua (both pork and turkey) all the time up here. And without the ti or banana leaves, too. Just the meat, some Wright's hickory flavored Liquid Smoke, some Hawaiian salt, some water, lotsa foil to cover and bake for about 2 1/2 hours.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
        Yes, we make oven kalua (both pork and turkey) all the time up here. And without the ti or banana leaves, too. Just the meat, some Wright's hickory flavored Liquid Smoke, some Hawaiian salt, some water, lotsa foil to cover and bake for about 2 1/2 hours.

Miulang
        Do you do whole turkeys?
        Ever do a kalua pork roast and turkey "parts" at the same time, or would that, I don't know, cause too much co-mingling of flavors?

Comment

Erica:
          I know we've baked a bunch of stuff in an imu together, and because it's all wrapped individually, I don't sense the co-mingling of flavors!
          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Good to know.
            I guess that's why those high-school-imu-cooking fundraisers around the holidays are so popular. I guess if food was getting "cross-pollinated," people wouldn't keep going back.

Thanks!

Comment

what abt a malasada stuffed kahlua spiked kalua pig filling??!!

or jus go Chun Wah Kam and get da steamed kalua pig manapua!!

Kalua Pig is ono no get me wrong... but oven cooked, pressure cooked, and or slow-cooked kalua pig still cannot emulate da "imu-cooked" kalua pig da old skool buss okole kine style cooking....

but a close 2nd is smoked bbq pulled pork in a real water smoker with keawe (mesquite wood) chunks. it comes out moist, juicy and flavorfully smoky!!
              Reggie aka pinakboy
              Reggie's Kaukau Time! blog
              Raw Eats Veggie Videos
              Recipe Tube TV!
              Deep Fried Recipes TV!

checkem out!!

Comment

How about Kailua Pig? Maybe among the tourists at Buzz's? (Or is that technically Lanikai Pig?)

Comment

Miulang, the newspaper your talking about is the Northwest Hawaii Times yeah? Cause if it is i enjoy reading it everytime i get one. I usually pick one up at the safeway. The one thing i look forward to reading is the recipes. Very helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by xsanchez808
                    Miulang, the newspaper your talking about is the Northwest Hawaii Times yeah? Cause if it is i enjoy reading it everytime i get one. I usually pick one up at the safeway. The one thing i look forward to reading is the recipes. Very helpful.
                    Glad to hear that you enjoy the paper; I do the music reviews. Miulang is the food editor for a website, however, not for a newspaper.
                    Where do you live? Our distribution area's getting larger, so it's good to hear where people are finding "da pepa." It's available as an archive online, too, with articles posted about one month after the print publication.

Comment

Originally posted by xsanchez808
                      Hui xsanchez: As Leo says, I'm not the food editor for NWHT but am the food editor for Ohanalanai, which is part of alohaworld.com. If you get really hungry for local grinds, go to the www.alohaworld.com/ono website. There are more than 600 local-style recipes over there. Wish I had time to try them all out myself!

A hui hou,
                      Miulang

P.S. Leo, is Uncle Williama's new place in Country Village open yet? And more importantly, if it is, has he started making malasadas?
                      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                        P.S. Leo, is Uncle Williama's new place in Country Village open yet? And more importantly, if it is, has he started making malasadas?
                        Yes it is - we stopped by last Saturday. He hasn't done malasadas there yet, but expects to in the next week or two.

Comment

Working...
                        X