Job Interview?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job Interview?

I will be flying to Honolulu for a Job Interview in a couple weeks, what is the normal interview attire on the Islands. Same as the Mainland or more casual. Thanks

Re: Job Interview?

Originally posted by 94VTEC13 View Post
    I will be flying to Honolulu for a Job Interview in a couple weeks, what is the normal interview attire on the Islands. Same as the Mainland or more casual. Thanks
    I always recommend to anyone especially in these troubled and hard times to always dress your best!

Good luck!

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
      I always recommend to anyone especially in these troubled and hard times to always dress your best!

Good luck!

Auntie Lynn
      Very Good advise Auntie Lynn, better to have a good first impression on the positive side.
      bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Missed you this past month, Lynn. Hope things are okay with you. Nice to see you come back with top-notch advice, as you often do.

Comment

Originally posted by 94VTEC13 View Post
          Show up in a coat and tie and people will think that either you're a Mormon missionary or someone who is about to appear before a judge in a criminal trial. The typical business attire for the islands is a conservative aloha shirt (not bright colors like the sell to the tourists).

However, if they know you're coming in from the mainland, they may well expect a coat and tie. I don't know as anyone will worry about someone who is too formal. So a coat and tie "miss" might be safer than a aloha wear "miss".

Comment

Go as yourself feller and wear what you want. It is You they are going to employ and not what you wear.
            Be confident, be yourself and you will soon get the hang on what is acceptable to wear.

Good Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
              Show up in a coat and tie and people will think that either you're a Mormon missionary
              As long as said tie is not a dark, conservative color, he wont be too reminiscent of a Mormon missionary.

Comment

This article from Hawaii Business magazine is still a favorite of mine. I send this to some of our mainland consultants before they arrive.

Comment

that's an article that anyone even thinking of moving here should also read. and certainly one that all newcomers to the islands should take the time to read.
                  "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                  – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I know a few old timers who should read that article. Thanks for the link, bueller555. It will be passed on!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                      Missed you this past month, Lynn. Hope things are okay with you. Nice to see you come back with top-notch advice, as you often do.
                      Missed you more.

Everything is great. Been busy working.

Keeping on topic ~ Dress your best and think positive.

Love and ALOHA,

Lynn
                      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Show up in a coat and tie and people will think that either you're a Mormon missionary or someone who is about to appear before a judge in a criminal trial. The typical business attire for the islands is a conservative aloha shirt (not bright colors like the sell to the tourists).
                        IOW, if you're going to wear an Aloha shirt, use one with a faded print. And use a dress style shirt, not a pullover.

However, if they know you're coming in from the mainland, they may well expect a coat and tie. I don't know as anyone will worry about someone who is too formal. So a coat and tie "miss" might be safer than a aloha wear "miss".
                        It all depends on what kind of job, company and workplace environment. If it's a business office in downtown, then definitely dress to the nines. It probably can't hurt to "overdress" for most interviews, but it would be sight to see someone applying for a job in a tattoo parlor dressed in a formal business suit.
                        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                          It probably can't hurt to "overdress" for most interviews
                          Maybe. But part of what an interviewer is looking for is "will they fit in". With someone from the mainland, that's an even bigger issue. Between what's been described in bueller555's link and someone getting rock fever and leaving, it's a valid concern.

Comment

Working...
                          X