College... so many options!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College... so many options!

i'm currently a fulltime college student in the mainland. and i'm trying to figure out what i want to do. only thing is..i like do everything well not everything just plenty of things i like do. but my goal is to get a degree in something and move back to hawaii. i just don't really know what to do. what i really would like to do is help people like the homeless, women that were in abusive relationships, something kinda like law enforcement but not...stuff like that. not really help people as in be a nurse or something. yeah being a nurse is a good paying job but once i see a toe or something cut off i gon faint so fullfilling my parents dream is not an option.

does anyone have any advice on a major/degree/career that i might like AND can help me survive back home?

mahalo!

Re: college..so many options!

if you tell us a little more about yourself, the quality of advice you get will be better.

without knowing a whole lot, the more risk you can take the better the payoff will be.

in hawaii like everywhere else, the demographic of the baby boomers getting older will affect a lot of employers. most hawaii employers will see a huge group of highly qualified employees retiring in the next 10 years. this will make the job market very competitive for employers. we already have the nations lowest unemployment rate and all employers i speak to say that they have lots of business, they cannot find the staff to grow more.

Comment

If a lot of jobs (tourist, business, etc.) in Hawaii still prefer someone who speaks Japanese, it may be good to take some Japanese language courses.

Comment

Originally posted by xsanchez808 View Post
        what i really would like to do is help people like the homeless, women that were in abusive relationships, something kinda like law enforcement but not...stuff like that.
        does anyone have any advice on a major/degree/career that i might like AND can help me survive back home?

mahalo!
        You may want to look at jobs that you would like to do and see what the educational requirements are. Psychology or Social Services perhaps, lots of different ways one can go with a degree in either subject. Just saw a job on line for a director at the YWCA, great organization for women in crisis and I think they wanted a degree in one of the Social Sciences. A friend of mine is a counselor at YWCA for abused women on Kauai ~ she has a MA in counseling. Good luck with your dream to come homeā€¦
        "When you dance there are two of you, your spiritual self and your physical self. The spirit has to dance." ~ Aunty Mae Ulalia Loebenstein

Comment

Re: College... so many options!

Do you like social services or do you just want to have a function that you feel serves a higher purpose? Try researching what fields of work are currently being neglected and where there are growing shortages. I think people are already anticipating the greater needs in healthcare and services for the elderly but how about environmental services? I have no clue of what the industry is like, though with rising population, global warming, and the rapid consumption of commodities this could be an industry with a lot of future potential. Also what better way to help people then playing a role in helping them have clean water to drink, developing solutions to pollution, and global warming. Definitely more dollars will be spent in this area.

Also, whatever field you choose to become an expert in, I hope you consider gaining more experience working abroad before settling back home in Hawaii. We need your outside expertise that can't be gained here.

Comment

Re: College... so many options!

Originally posted by GnosticWarrior View Post
            Also, whatever field you choose to become an expert in, I hope you consider gaining more experience working abroad before settling back home in Hawaii. We need your outside expertise that can't be gained here.
            yeah thats why i'm happy to go to school here. because all my family tells me employers are looking for that. plus my first two years of school here is free(cept for books) cause its tax refundable

i've done so much research already. i think my brain is almost fried...

mahalo everyone for your thoughts!

Comment

Working...
            X