Linda Lingle Cable TV Channel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linda Lingle Cable TV Channel

OK - This has been getting some buzz in the past few days. Former Governor and now US Senate candidate Linda Lingle has launched a full time 24-7 digital only cable TV channel. Aren't all of you cable TV subscribers happy that your monthly fee may also be paying for this?

Will there be a Mazie or Ed Case channel in the future?

At least analog channel customers and cord cutters are spared from this.

Aloha, Voters - Hawaii Senate Candidate Launches TV station

Read more: http://politics.blogs.foxnews.com/20...#ixzz1xmtYsYB7

Seeking out a new avenue to reach potential voters, Hawaiian Republican Senate candidate Linda Lingle says her campaign will launch a television channel Tuesday on the local cable system.

Digital channel 110 is claimed to be the first ever dedicated television channel for a political candidate.

"By employing all accessible media platforms, we are putting ‘people first' by meeting voters where they are," Lingle, a former governor, said in a campaign press release. "In many cases, that means their living rooms, through their home television."

Notwithstanding the novelty of the channel, its reach is somewhat limited. Only Oceanic Time Warner customers who purchase the digital line-up of channel can watch what's called "LL2012."

Read more: http://politics.blogs.foxnews.com/20...#ixzz1xmtJSiJK
    I'm still here. Are you?

Re: Linda Lingle Cable TV Channel

Originally posted by mel View Post
    Aren't all of you cable TV subscribers happy that your monthly fee may also be paying for this?
    This UN-techie asks, "How so"? I'd assumed Lingle was paying for the channel (sort of a mini-opray-channel).
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

This channel and Hawaii even got a mention during Jimmy Fallon's monologue the other night. No mention of Lingle by name, tho'.

Comment

OK - This has been getting some buzz in the past few days. Former Governor and now US Senate candidate Linda Lingle has launched a full time 24-7 digital only cable TV channel. Aren't all of you cable TV subscribers happy that your monthly fee may also be paying for this?
        I don't tink so!!! Clearly, this is something that Lingle's campaign will have to pay for. No different than any other political candidate wanting to air a TV commercial,.... except that in this case, Lingle is paying for a digital cable channel dedicated to her propaganda campaign, 24/7 until the day after the general election.

Will there be a Mazie or Ed Case channel in the future?
        If Mazie and Ed are willing to pay for it, then Oceanic would have to oblige and provide the same opportunity at the same price.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Granted this thing is a 24-7 informercial, propoganda, campaign, call it whatever you want. However it is the first for Hawaii television and possibly the entire country. And yes, I think the Lingle campaign pays about $10 to $12,000 a day for this... maybe more.. It should show up in her next campaign spending report.

Me, I don't really care about this since I cut the cord to my cable more than 16 months ago now. So I don't watch.

As for Ed and Mazie or anyone else who wants to "buy" I am sure Oceanic is willing to sell channel space on their digital service.

One pundit said about the channel: "It's probably a good use of campaign resources, but I think you'll probably get more of a campaign audience on YouTube," (source)
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
            If Mazie and Ed are willing to pay for it, then Oceanic would have to oblige and provide the same opportunity at the same price.
            As for Ed and Mazie or anyone else who wants to "buy" I am sure Oceanic is willing to sell channel space on their digital service.
            I'm not sure the FCC's "equal time" rule applies in this case - that may only affect offering time on broadcast stations, not cable systems. If Oceanic claimed not to have available channel space, that would be an interesting case (but I can't imagine they would turn down the dollars).

Comment

I guess the up side to this is that one has go out of their way to watch the channel instead of it being airing during the commericals.

Comment

There was a bit about the Linda Lingle Channel on today's Stephen Colbert's show. It's going to be repeated at 10:30.

Comment

Granted this thing is a 24-7 informercial, propoganda, campaign, call it whatever you want. However it is the first for Hawaii television and possibly the entire country. And yes, I think the Lingle campaign pays about $10 to $12,000 a day for this... maybe more.. It should show up in her next campaign spending report.
                  I imagine it will. I repeat. There's no way the Lingle campaign would want to have anything to do with being responsible for any billing increase for Oceanic customers. For every household that has to pay even a few dollars more to sustain a LL2012 channel, she can kiss all those votes goodbye. Trust me on this one, Mel.

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                  I'm not sure the FCC's "equal time" rule applies in this case - that may only affect offering time on broadcast stations, not cable systems.
                  The Equal Time Rule, as explained by the Museum of Broadcast Communications.

The equal time, or more accurately, the equal opportunity provision of the Communications Act requires radio and television stations and cable systems which originate their own programming to treat legally qualified political candidates equally when it comes to selling or giving away air time. Simply put, a station which sells or gives one minute to Candidate A must sell or give the same amount of time with the same audience potential to all other candidates for the particular office.
                  This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

The Equal Time Rule, as explained by the Museum of Broadcast Communications.
                    Thanks - the only info I could find failed to include cable systems.

Comment

For every household that has to pay even a few dollars more to sustain a LL2012 channel, she can kiss all those votes goodbye. Trust me on this one, Mel.
                      I don't care about this one way or another since I cut the cord months ago. All my "TV" comes in on my computer and when I do get a real TV set again, I am not going back to Oceanic. OTA works fine for me.
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                        There was a bit about the Linda Lingle Channel on today's Stephen Colbert's show. It's going to be repeated at 10:30.
                        I posted the clip and a transcript here:

Colbert: Lingle TV for ‘insomniacs, people in traction’
                        With ‘Lingle 2012,’ Lingle can reach voters who will watch 24 hours of political ads… key demographics like insomniacs, people in traction, people who can’t find the remote, people trapped under a book case, empty Best Buy stores, and cats left alone with the TV for comfort.

Comment

Did Linda Lingle get the idea from David Lee Roth's DaveTV?

Comment

I have no idea. But the cable service on Kauai has a cable channel dedicated to the various sights on the island and other tips if one plans on driving around the island. It runs for about 90 minutes and it just loops on that one video all the time.

I suspect that is what the Lingle 2012 will do, just loop on the same program all the time. Don't know the length of that loop at this time.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                              I suspect that is what the Lingle 2012 will do, just loop on the same program all the time. Don't know the length of that loop at this time.
                              An all-Lingle, all the time, channel ... which is totally loopy.

The jokes just write themselves.

Comment

Working...
                              X