The 'Ilima Awards 2005

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 'Ilima Awards 2005

Well, Honolulu Magazine has its Hale `Aina awards, the Star-Bulletin has its Hawaii's Best awards, and the Honolulu Advertiser has its 'Ilima Awards. The latest list has been posted, and it includes:
    Hawaii's Best Restaurant: Alan Wong's Restaurant
    Best New Restaurant: E&O Trading Co.
    Best Bakery: Liliha Bakery
    Best Bar: Mai Tai Bar
    Best Burgers: Teddy's Bigger Burgers
    Best Plate Lunch: L&L Drive-Inn
    Best Steak House: Ruth's Chris Steak House
    Best Sushi: Genki Sushi
    Best Fine-Dining Restaurants: The Bistro at Century Center, John Dominis, Roy's Restaurant
    Best Family Restaurants: Zippy's, Big City Diner, Dixie Grill
    Few surprises, lots to quibble about. Here's one take on this year's slate. Compadre's for Mexican? Assagio's for Italian? Sorabol for Korean?

Re: The 'Ilima Awards 2005

Yeah, some of the choices for best ethnic restaurant make me wince, but hey, I guess I'm just different in my opinions.

E&O Trading Company as best new restaurant...great ambience (which is why I wholeheartedly approve of their attempt to become part of the nightlife with their Fri night lounge), but I didn't think the food was worth the price (other than perhaps the pupus). And while the "naan" they offered was somewhat tasty, it sure wasn't like any naan as I know naan to be in taste and texture, so I definitely wouldn't classify it as naan. Their "Indian influences" are quite questionable and Americanized, big surprise.

Comment

i loved this from the referenced article:
      "WHAT? YOU THOUGHT I WOULDN'T SAY ANYTHING?"

Roy's is very over rated. Overly attentive service. and the ussal overpriced undersized portions.
      and Assagio, tho' one of my favorite restaurants is not an Italian restaurant.

and WHICH Mai Tai bar do they refer to?

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
        i loved this from the referenced article:
        "WHAT? YOU THOUGHT I WOULDN'T SAY ANYTHING?"

and Assagio, tho' one of my favorite restaurants is not an Italian restaurant.
        I went to Assagio for the first time recently, and I didn't appreciate the waiter being unable to understand my order when I pronounced the Italian name of my salad CORRECTLY. Then he had the audacity to "correct" my pronunciation with his mangled version of "caprese" in front of my business colleagues--I wanted to take my menu and beat him with it (or cover my ears with it at his pronunciation). That being said, I agree with Kimo, the food was tasty, if not authentic.

Comment

There are a lot of worthy Korean restaurants, but Sorabol is definitely among them. Excellent service, great food, and open 24 hours a day, right in the middle of Koreamoku Street. It is among my top three Korean restaurants. Get the dol sot bi bim bap and split a bul go gi with a friend. Yum.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

koreamoku.

I choked on that one!

'da hell was that last sentence again, scriv?!

Comment

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos
              Then he had the audacity to "correct" my pronunciation with his mangled version of "caprese" in front of my business colleagues--I wanted to take my menu and beat him with it (or cover my ears with it at his pronunciation).

Oooohhh yea. don't get me wrong, this place is one of my favorite and frequent waiter-head-beating-with-menu places. but that part of dining nowadays is a given. The food is good nun the lez.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                Get the dol sot bi bim bap and split a bul go gi
                Well...
                A-Wop-bop-a-loo-lop a-lop-bam-boo.
                (Little Richard, "Tutti Frutti")

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

There are a lot of worthy Korean restaurants, but Sorabol is definitely among them. Excellent service, great food, and open 24 hours a day, right in the middle of Koreamoku Street. It is among my top three Korean restaurants. Get the dol sot bi bim bap and split a bul go gi with a friend. Yum.
                  Sadly, I have to disagree with one of my personal favorite posters but I find Sorabol really a lame excuse for a Korean restaurant. Perhaps I've been there on "off days" but the meat has always been of very inferior quality and the veggies used in the bi bim bap sloppily prepared. The pan chan is poorly prepared as well and the chap chae a mass of inedible noodles. I confess to being fussier than most people because Korean is one of my favorite cuisines; I speak Korean and I lived there for many years so my expectations are high. My contention is that Sorabol is far from the best Korean restaurant in Honolulu.

Comment

oh I remember...
                    It is among my top three Korean restaurants. Get the dol sot bi bim bap and split a bul go gi with a friend. Yum.
                    or that one other dish:
                    Samata palafit get da dol sot bi bim bap an spit a bul go gi wit a fwen who go a wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom manong in da shadow yum

Comment

Working...
                    X