Jimmy Buffett concert "rules"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jimmy Buffett concert "rules"

Can't believe that she spelled the name wrong! Jeeesh!

I believe that the private concert is in celebration of the opening of his restaurant, but not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by alohacandy View Post
      Can't believe that she spelled the name wrong! Jeeesh!

I believe that the private concert is in celebration of the opening of his restaurant, but not sure.
      You got it...margaritaville.com has a link to a contest. Win a trip to Hawaii (yippee-bring money...please!) for the "grand opening" and Jimmy performing at the restaurant.

My Wife and I had dinner with friends there on Saturday. We liked the mood & atmosphere...the food was good, and the margaritas were to die for (we stayed at the Ohana Beachcomber so I went for it and had three!). Our table was a booth with a speaker pointing right at us, so the piped in music was perfectly in sync with the flat screen at the back of the booth. If you go nutz on the margaritas you'll run the bill up, not cheap, but not crazy expensive. We'll go back again.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Jeff View Post
        You got it...margaritaville.com has a link to a contest. Win a trip to Hawaii (yippee-bring money...please!) for the "grand opening" and Jimmy performing at the restaurant.

My Wife and I had dinner with friends there on Saturday. We liked the mood & atmosphere...the food was good, and the margaritas were to die for (we stayed at the Ohana Beachcomber so I went for it and had three!). Our table was a booth with a speaker pointing right at us, so the piped in music was perfectly in sync with the flat screen at the back of the booth. If you go nutz on the margaritas you'll run the bill up, not cheap, but not crazy expensive. We'll go back again.
        We'll probably stay at the Beachcomber the night of the Waikiki Shell concert so that we can just head on up to the room after a pause at the restaurant. The people who won that contest to the party have posted about their upcoming trip on www.meetthephlockers.com.

As an FYI, the pre-concert party at the Elks Lodge will benefit the Wounded Warriors Dog Program and the Hawaii Food Bank. Tickets are just $10. They will also have a Mexican buffett which will be at an extra cost. Go to www.pauhanaparrotheads.org to purchase tickets and for more info.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
          The Star-Bulletin's Nadine Kam has a review today of Buffett's new Waikiki restaurant at this link.
          And I just found a hidden item on the Advertiser website with 17 captioned photos of the interior. It's at this link.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Anyone know when the gates open for the concert on Saturday?

Comment

We went to his restaurant last weekend, and I gotta say, that cheese-vegiburger-in-paradise was the very best one I've had on this whole island!!! The decor is really cool too. I like the 'waves' on the floor. But when we were there we noticed that the don't play only JB on those screens. I recall seeing & hearing Bono singing some non JB song. Huh? Hmmmm...
              ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Oh Yeah! Tomorrow's the concert...gates open at 5pm. We're on the lawn so we are lining up early. Hot tip if you are sitting on the lawn, get there early and find a spot next to the speakers. The sound restrictions at the shell keeps the volume kinda low and the partying people around you on the lawn easily drown out the music.

Tomorrow I'll be scraping up my pennies to gird myself against $$$$$ margaritas.

Comment

The private party/concert at Jimmy Buffett's restaurant last night was definitely a night to remember....especially since Jake Shimabukuro and Henry Kapono joined Jimmy on stage. We were greeted at the entrance with our choice of free margaritas or Landshark Lager. There were tables full of pupus set up outside near the pool area, but since we wanted to sit inside and see the stage, we ended up at one of those tall standup tables with no stools...close to the kitchen....so we got to taste all of the fresh pupus as the waiters and waitresses brought them out....everything from macadamia nut crusted chicken to coconut shrimp to goat cheese filled wontons, poststickers...and of course, the mini cheeseburgers (in paradise) :-) There was a warm up band that was all right...and Jimmy played for I'm guessing at least 2 hours straight. I'm looking forward to tomorrow's pre-concert party at the Elks Lodge (tickets available at the door) which is a fundraiser for several organizations including the Hawaii Food Bank...and then, of course, the concert. Nothing like a bunch of crazy Parrotheads singing along with Jimmy Buffett to cheer up the soul in these troubled times.

Comment

Originally posted by alohacandy View Post
                    Nothing like a bunch of crazy Parrotheads singing along with Jimmy Buffett to cheer up the soul in these troubled times.
                    Whatever seat you're in, you'll probably hear me singing along.
                    Thanks for the report on the party at the restaurant. And FYI, Ben Wood has it in his SB column today, and it was in yesterday's Advertiser.
                    Concert starts in exactly 12 hours. HOORAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

FREEEAK OUUUT!!!! I am SO excited!!! Who's opening, and when do you think Jimmy will go on?

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                        Who's opening, and when do you think Jimmy will go on?
                        There's no opening act at JB's concerts. Sometimes his Coral Reefer Band will play one song before JB comes on stage.
                        Concert starts at 7pm.
                        AlohaCandy is probably already at the pre-concert party at the Elks Lodge.
                        Gonna be fun to people-watch, since fans at a JB concert are always a tropical version of Mardi Gras, Halloween and the Rocky Horror Show.
                        Be safe and have fun, TG! We'll all have to write reviews tomorrow.

Comment

Great show...some interesting songs in the set list...Jimmy may have another hit on his hands with "We've Got A Lot To Drink About"...always cool to hear Nadira Shakur get a lead vocal...Jake & Henry no doubt played packed gigs on Sunday after Jimmy encouraged the crowd to go...a good night at the Shell.

Cold hot dogs and too salty BBQ...not so good...and it was COLD...should a brought my parka...

Comment

Thanks for that, FJ. Sorry I didn't see ya there.
                            I agree about the grindz. I had a footlong hot dog and some french fries, and everything was cold and outrageously priced. No excuse for them to be cold, since I hit the vendors when the gates first opened.
                            I also tried one of JB's Landshark Lager beers. Very good!!! But $7.50 for a beer? I'll have to see what they sell for off the shelf somewhere. But back to the show.
                            Gates were supposed to open at 5, but didn't until 5:20. Bought a couple of t-shirts. Saw a bunch of boating friends (typical at a JB concert) and talked story. Good fun people-watching, with all the JB-related clothes and hats. Lots of tourists there, wearing grass skirts and coconut-shell bras. (Yeah, men too. This is your brain on margaritas.) Speaking of which, the vendors had a limit for each person -- two beers, or one margarita. No idea how they tracked it.
                            As FJ noted, Jake was there, and this time he was onstage the entire show, and standing right next to JB. All two and a half hours, non-stop, no intermission. JB mentioned Jake several times, and couldn't have been more enthusiastic about him. Jake got solos on numerous songs, and did a duet of "Guitar Gently Weeps" with the amazing Robert Greenidge on steel drums. (Leo, you would've loved it!)
                            FJ also noted a solo by Nadirah Shakoor, JB's great background vocalist from Trinidad. (Actually two solos, one full song and, as usual, the verse about Trinidad in "Son Of A Son Of A Sailor.") The other singer, Tina Gullickson, didn't get a solo but did play guitar on about 1/3 of the songs. I've proposed marriage to Tina about a dozen times. She just doesn't know it. (To see why, click on this link and also click here.)
                            Almost everybody stood for the entire show, dancing and singing along. And yeah, it was verrrrry breezy and somewhat chilly.
                            JB gave props to Tom Moffatt several times.
                            And with all the craziness and the fantastic music, the highlight of the evening for me was probably a young couple sitting two rows in front of me with the cutest little 3-year-old girl. She was dancing all the time, and sometimes sitting on her dad's shoulders and dancing and clapping to the beat. She even did the "Fins" hand thing during that song. Everyone around her was taking photos and pointing and smiling. Waaaaay too cute! And smart too. I asked her how old she was and she said "Three." And then I asked her if she was married and she said "Yes." Funny! (Thanks to AC for the funny kid question.)
                            So, let's hear from AlohaCandy and TurtleGirl now... please!

Comment

Loved it!!! I may actually be hungover still! We enjoyed the concert from outside the shell, wrapped in blankets on the lawn. It was coooold. I think I remember it sprinkling rain for a minute near the end of the show...? We made our own food - vegetarian bratwurst grilled and with the works - and it was delicious. Brought our own beer too, but had to be very stealthy about that. Interesting, I drank 12 beers for the price of one purchased inside the shell. Met some fun people and kicked a beach ball around with a nice group, until it blew away (hope those guys caught up to it.) The music was a little muffled from outside, but hey, they're 'songs we know by heart', right? Nadirah Shakoor sings like an angel, "Son of a Son of a Sailor" has always been one of my faves, and I too like the "Got a Lot To Drink About" song.
                              Thank goodness the bf was driving - I wasn't sure where the car was anymore after a long day of Parrothead Partying. YaY Jimmy Buffett!!

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                                I may actually be hungover still! (...) I drank 12 beers
                                Cause and effect. Or actually, effect and cause.

We enjoyed the concert from outside the shell, wrapped in blankets on the lawn.
                                I walked around part of the park looking for you a couple of times before the show. You'd said you'd be with a tent, so I cruised by all the tents I could see. Nothing. [/sniffle]
                                Glad you enjoyed the show!
                                Maybe AlohaCandy is still recovering too? [/hint]

Comment

Working...
                                X