Hawaii Driving Pet Peeves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaii Driving Pet Peeves
    1. Drivers turning left to Beretania from Piikoi on the red light.
    2. Pedestrians who try to beat the countdown timer when it says 5 seconds or less.
    3. Drivers who cut into your lane in front of you at the last minute.
    4. Drivers who make illegal turns at intersections from the lanes that do not allow turns!
    5. Tailgating drivers who follow you too closely.
    6. Drivers who make illegal left turns from/to Ala Moana Center to Kapiolani Blvd. when the sign says NO LEFT TURN at Keeamoku St exit/entry.
    7. Drivers who take up 2 parking spaces with one vehicle.
    8. Taxi drivers who block entry ways to driveways while waiting for a fare.
    9. Racing on the freeway or any other road.
    10. Potholes
    11. Left turn signal lights that do not give drivers enough time to legally turn left.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

The Child And Dumb syndrome

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
      Then they wave in the rear view mirror......

It drives me nuts when people cannot turn into the immediate lane but have to go to the farther lane what the heck? Just turn into the lane and then move over. Also IDIOTS running the red light BLATANTLY at the Haiku Rd./Kahekili intersection happens constantly someday someone will be killed who is going on the green.
      I recall being in that merge zone and the HS kid I was pooling said,
      "I hate it when people wait to get over until the last minute!"

I calmly explained the physics of not filling the merge lane, and how it impeded traffic flow (more cars backed up) and allowed 'rogue' drivers to cut in front of everyone else, further slowing traffic for others. He had a light bulb blink on over his head....

In a merge situation: fill up both lanes and take turns merging at the end of the merge lane. Faster, better, smarter.

K
      Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
      ~ ~
      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
        By law if the slow driver is going the posted speed limit, they can stay in that fast lane. Also if the speed limit is 55 and the minimum posted speed limit is 40-mph, you cannot pass that motorist as they are going the slowest but still posted speed limit and if you do intend on passing a motorist, you cannot exceed the posted speed limit. Basically passing is only allowed when a motorist is driving less than the minimum posted speed limit. If a motorist is going 30 in a 55 you can safely pass at 55, no need to accelerate beyond the speed limits here.
        According to the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices, white signs with black letters are called regulatory signs. Those are signs of obeyance. Two signs have the same shape and color: the Speed Limit sign, and the Slower Traffic Keep Right sign.

Even though the "speeder" is breaking the law by going faster than 55mph, the "slow fast-lane driver" is illegally impeding traffic by not staying in the right lane, regardless of his driving the speed limit or not.

This is the "spirit" of the law and not the "letter" of the law. Otherwise HPD would pull over everyone going 56mph, or 39mph, or anyone not driving fast enough in the left lane.

The term "safe speed" is that in which the flow of traffic will safely maintain. It is determined by number of cars, weather, construction, etc. A speed limit is determined by traffic engineers to maximize travel efficiency. The state can determine any other limits it chooses. I guarantee you a safe and efficient speed for H-1 between Exit 1 and Exit 5 is probably 65mph due to the fact it is a seldom-congested, three-lane straightaway, but the Hawaii maximum speed by law is 60.

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
          Ohh, I have a few!

1. When it's obvious one of the lanes is going to end and a bunch of a-holes get out of line and get in the ending lane just to cut back in front of you. HATE!!!! I deal with this by blocking the ending lane with my car when I know the person coming up is a cutter and not letting them in.

2. People on the freeways yielding to people entering the freeways. And oncoming people expecting to be yielded to. Guess it's not so dangerous when...
          1) As far as the "getting out and getting back in" part, yeah, that's pretty lame, considering they're only going to get 2 or 3 cars ahead and still sit in the same traffic.

BUT, if it's a 3 lane road that dies down to a 2 lane road, the safest and most efficient means of travel is for the car to merge when his lane ends. If more traffic is involved and it is at a slower pace, it is safer and efficient to use the zipper-method to merge traffic. A guide on safe driving (which identifies pet peeves that are actually safe) takes note of the fact that those who merge early not only create the line that backs up the lane to go slower, but actually makes them lose a few car lengths by those who do merge at "the last minute."

2) The concept of "right of way" is lost on many people here. If you're on a freeway, you ARE the right of way. The acceleration lane (aka on ramp) is meant for that car to gain sufficient speed to properly merge into traffic (via a zipper-method), but yield to freeway traffic if they are not going the proper speed. Granted, some of these on ramps are designed so poorly (a STOP sign 50 feet from traffic merging?!) that freeway drivers in the right lane may have no choice but to divert or slow down for a car that hasn't sufficiently accelerated.

Of course, there are the wonders of Hawaii traffic engineering that involve the double-lane merge of freeways, where the slow lane of one merges with the fast lane of the other. There really is no right of way there when the slow lane inherits a "fast" car to his right. (Freeway FAIL)

Comment

Originally posted by bjd392 View Post
            According to the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices, white signs with black letters are called regulatory signs. Those are signs of obeyance. Two signs have the same shape and color: the Speed Limit sign, and the Slower Traffic Keep Right sign.

Even though the "speeder" is breaking the law by going faster than 55mph, the "slow fast-lane driver" is illegally impeding traffic by not staying in the right lane, regardless of his driving the speed limit or not.

This is the "spirit" of the law and not the "letter" of the law. Otherwise HPD would pull over everyone going 56mph, or 39mph, or anyone not driving fast enough in the left lane.

The term "safe speed" is that in which the flow of traffic will safely maintain. It is determined by number of cars, weather, construction, etc. A speed limit is determined by traffic engineers to maximize travel efficiency. The state can determine any other limits it chooses. I guarantee you a safe and efficient speed for H-1 between Exit 1 and Exit 5 is probably 65mph due to the fact it is a seldom-congested, three-lane straightaway, but the Hawaii maximum speed by law is 60.

and...

1) As far as the "getting out and getting back in" part, yeah, that's pretty lame, considering they're only going to get 2 or 3 cars ahead and still sit in the same traffic.

BUT, if it's a 3 lane road that dies down to a 2 lane road, the safest and most efficient means of travel is for the car to merge when his lane ends. If more traffic is involved and it is at a slower pace, it is safer and efficient to use the zipper-method to merge traffic. A guide on safe driving (which identifies pet peeves that are actually safe) takes note of the fact that those who merge early not only create the line that backs up the lane to go slower, but actually makes them lose a few car lengths by those who do merge at "the last minute."

bjd, you are a welcome addition here.
            You know your stuff!
            ~ ~

Comment

The idiotic thing that I see drivers do, time and time again:

Whenever a traffic light totally goes out at an intersection and there's no police officer there to direct traffic, I see people not treating it as a 4 way stop intersection, like they are supposed to. For some reason, motorists driving on the road with the faster speed limit seem to think they have the right of way and will not even slow down!!! This is very hazardous.
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                The idiotic thing that I see drivers do, time and time again:

Whenever a traffic light totally goes out at an intersection and there's no police officer there to direct traffic, I see people not treating it as a 4 way stop intersection, like they are supposed to. For some reason, motorists driving on the road with the faster speed limit seem to think they have the right of way and will not even slow down!!! This is very hazardous.
                Yow!
                I'd call it suicidal!

I don't ever see that; maybe it's the mellower Windward side?

K
                ~ ~

Comment

Probably the most common dangerous lawbreaking inconsideration - not using at all or turning on the turn signal at the last moment as the wheel is being turned.

You know who you are...
                  https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

The posted speed limit is just that POSTED and the LIMIT. If a driver is driving less than the posted speed limit he can be ticketed. Now if that driver is driving 40 (minimum posted speed limit) then he should be in the right lane. But if he is going 55 (posted maximum speed limit) and people are bent on driving faster. He is in no obligation to move over since the law specifically states that that speed is the maximum speed for which a driver is allowed to drive. Anything higher is illegal. Technically no one should be catching up to a driver going 55-mph. NO ONE except emergency vehicles.

If you take your arguement to court saying the flow of traffic was 65 in a 55 and the cop had ticketed you for going 55 in the fast lane, that ticket would be thrown out based simply on its merit and the cop's hands slapped for issuing it in the first place.

BTW, you can be pulled over for speeding at 56MPH in a 55. It comes down to the cop's discretion.
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Oh, I totally understand people waiting to merge if they're doing it properly. It's the cutters I hate. Especially when it's two lanes going down to one. Especially when it's on that stretch of Fort Barrette just after you turn right onto Roosevelt Ave/Geiger during afternoon rush hour near the water treatment plant.

OR when there's a line of cars waiting to exit and someone goes up to the front of the line and just butts in. I won't let them in and it pisses people off, but your car isn't a bubble. Would you do that if you were in person? Most people wouldn't, and if they did, I'd say something (politely of course). So don't do it in a car, jerk.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Reiterating the officer discretion portion (and including that 2005 link), there is a common buffer above the speed limit that a cop won't bother ticketing you for. On average, it is about 11-17 mph above the speed limit. Anything less than 10 over is a lower check mark to the citation's speed bracket of extra revenue, and a cop isn't going to waste their time with that. (They will, however, use it if they need probably cause to pull you over and conduct a search. That's just an excuse to do something more than write a ticket.)

I've personally done 67 in a 55 in the #1 lane on H-1W along the curve where H-2 meets. I saw a motorcycle cop from about 1/2 mile away because of all the spontaneous brake lights in an area where it makes no sense to stop. When I approached him, I maintained my speed; the motorcop didn't even flinch at my car.

(I do secretly laugh at them when they try to shoot laser at westbound traffic at 5pm. There's a waste of time.) Other drivers are the tell-tale for where cops are, because no one should be dumb enough to hit the brakes on open roads. The maximum effective range of a portable laser is about 750 feet. They would prefer to nab you at 300-500 feet (or about 20 car lengths).

Honolulu uses the laser, as opposed to the radar. Laser is historically more accurate, although insufficient proof of calibration can overturn a speeding ticket:
                        http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/29/2920.asp

Reiterating the whole concept of "letter vs spirit" of the law, discretion makes the spirit 99%, and the letter 1%. The same is true for criminal cases. The District Attorney can throw out cases he doesn't think he can win. The letter of the law arrested the suspect, but the spirit of the law let him go.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                          (minimum posted speed limit)

But if he is going 55 (posted maximum speed limit) and people are bent on driving faster. He is in no obligation to move over since the law specifically states that that speed is the maximum speed for which a driver is allowed to drive. Anything higher is illegal.
                          Craig, it is not the duty of citizens to enforce the law on other citizens; that is the job of police.

The law says: "Slower Traffic Keep Right." I doesn't say 'keep left if they are speeding.'

As interpreted by law, it means that if someone is going faster than you, it is incumbent upon you to move to the right and let them pass.

"[ยง291C-41b] Drive on right side of roadway; exceptions.
                          (b) Upon all roadways any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic, or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway." (emphasis mine)

Notice, no reference to speed limits. NORMAL speed is the speed of traffic, whether it is below or over the limit.
                          We have been through this before, although I cannot find it; if someone is behind you in the left lane, going faster than you, you are legally obligated to "keep right," since you are "slower traffic."
                          Most left-lane slow drivers drive like they are the only vehicle on the road - in a trance, or zombiefied. That is why I call them "Left-Lane Zombies."

Sure, if you are speeding you can be tagged, but not by a citizen. If you are clogging the left lane you can be tagged, too, but it's more likely you will be "ZAPATAGGED," cut off, shot, bumped or fingered.

Left-Lane Zombies: Stop playing policeman. Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way. If you don't know the rules, get off the road - you're a hazard!

By the way, where do you find these mythical "Minimum Posted Speed Limits?"

K
                          ~ ~

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                            By the way, where do you find these mythical "Minimum Posted Speed Limits?"

K
                            They are all over the freeways of Honolulu. Remember POSTED speed limits are there because those are the laws.

Where did you get the impression that I made any reference to citizens enforcing traffic laws?

If the driver is going the speed limit he is under no obligation to heed to faster traffic. Faster traffic must heed to the POSTED SPEED LIMITS. There are no exceptions.
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I find it funny that Hawaii is the only place I've seen with SO MANY minimum speed limit signs on the highways. The only place Dallas has them is at the airport. Those are the only two places I've ever seen them.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

We are referring to my post (Post #18) on the MUTCD of regulatory signs, which thereby makes the "Slower Traffic" sign trump the speed-limit-driver.

White sign, black letters (Regulatory): tells you what to do.
                                Yellow sign, black letters (Advisory): advises you that this is the engineer's recommendation.

To answer my own question on how to handle "persons who impede traffic" by "going the speed limit" and not the safe engineered speed of traffic:
                                I am a #1 lane driver because I know I "pass" people on the left... continually. If a "slow" driver is in the fast lane, I will tail and hint that they have 10 seconds to obey the Regulatory sign to KEEP RIGHT. If they don't, I pass them on the right with my tires on the lane line, and then cut them off. I flash the Hazard lights warning them they are more of a danger to the road than I just was. Then, I continue on my way to my destination at "REASONABLE AND PRUDENT SPEED" ensuring the safety and efficiency of traffic, within the spirit of the speed limit buffer. (I'm a downtown Los Angeleno Californian; I'm a better trained driver than you.)

I'm almost tempted to drive in front of them, then slow down to 40, just long enough to piss them off and make them merge right in an attempt to pass me. Then I speed up and continue on my way, solving the freeway's problem by getting the impeding driver's car out of the fast lane.

I gave up Law Enforcement to pursue a career that paid more than scraps. But that doesn't mean I still don't think that even Slow Drivers fall under the category of "Unsafe Speeders." In California, there's an impeding law. If on a highway and more than 5 cars are behind you because you're holding them up, you MUST pull to the right and allow them to pass, regardless of your speed. California Highway Patrol has, and does ticket for that. It still falls under C.V.C 22350 Unsafe Speed.

Comment

Working...
                                X