Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X-Men: Apocalypse (2016)

X-Men: Apocalypse (2016)
    James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Olivia Munn, Oscar Isaac, Jennifer Lawrence, Rose Byrne. Directed by Bryan Singer.

In X-Men: Apocalypse, an ancient Egyptian mutant is awakened by Moira McTaggart, and he does not like what the world has become in the centuries since his live burial. He finds a few young mutants (Angel, Storm, and Psylocke among them) and – wait for it! – decides he needs to blow up the world.

Magneto is living under cover in Poland, with a wife and child, while working in some kind of steel mill or something. He’s trying to live a quiet life, but as he keeps reminding us and Xavier, the world doesn’t want to allow it. I think Xavier finds him and enlists his help, with a bunch of young X-Men, including young Jean Grey, young Cyclops, young Nightcrawler (in what seems to be a timeline inconsistency), and young Quicksilver, in stopping Apocalypse, that Egyptian mutant, from ending things.

The Magneto story is great, and I appreciate the film taking its time through it. The Xavier-McTaggart story is interesting, but there’s not enough of it. And there’s just not enough of the relational stuff that makes other X-Men films so much better than this. Without it, you just have a crazy cartoonish villain wanting to – wait for it! – blow up the world, and that’s just not interesting. I still enjoyed the film, because I enjoy the X-Men and the students at Xavier’s school, but scenes with Apocalypse were just something to sit through, and there are a lot of them.

6/10 (IMDb rating)
    58/100 (Criticker rating)
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: X-Men: Apocalypse (2016)

I saw this movie at the Ward Theater on July 5, 2016.

It is the kind of movie you need to watch more than once. Did like the sequence of the speedster mutant when he got to the school where the X-Men hang out.

Comment

Re: X-Men: Apocalypse (2016)

Yes. Quicksilver's effects are terrific, although I think the similar effect in Days of Future Past was just slightly better. I also appreciated the appearance of yet another Asian character, Jubilee.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
      X